Thread: Another .177 or .22 question.

Another .177 or .22 question.

I have had a search on here but can't find anything so I'll ask the question.

As someone who uses .177 I do't know which is more susceptable to a sidewind? Is it the lighter .177, or the heavier .22?
    I'm thinking that the lighter .177 would be more prone to be blown off course but could it be the slower .22?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    You'd think so, but time in flight comes into it too. BC is more relevent than calbre here.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post

As someone who uses .177 I do't know which is more susceptable to a sidewind? Is it the lighter .177, or the heavier .22?
    I'm thinking that the lighter .177 would be more prone to be blown off course but could it be the slower .22?
    This well worth a read copy and paste in google ,if not pm me
    /forums/showthread.php/174275-Massive-177-JSB-Pellet-Velocity-Test-0-50-metres

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post

Been shooting guns at things for all sorts of reasons for near enough or just over 40 years
    I have shot most things from .177 air up to .270 centrefire
    One thing i reckon i have figured out is you cant make sense of wind ! Wind is more complicated than women
    I like shooting in very light wind and stay about 35 yds away from women

Thanks for your answers.
    The reason I asked the question was earlier this month I was at the Boinger Bash and the person next to me was trying to hit the bucket with his .22 when there was a sidewind and he asked me how much was I compensating for the wind and without thinking I said that mine was a .177 and with it being lighter than .22 over 70 plus yards it will stray off more than the heavier .22. Later I got thinking and was wondering if my information was wrong.
    The last .22 I had was an Airsporter in 1978 and I can't remember how much I compensated for my shots back then.
    Saying all that I have just bought a .22 barrel for my FWB Sport 124 and will be having a play with that this morning at the indoor range, sadly there's no wind (not the outdoor autumnal type anyway) so I can compare the two calibres.
    Villaman, I have sent you a pm.

Look for an article called "Understanding Wind" on the airgun forum, it will answer your question. A google search brought it straight up.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I generally found the two calibres drift exacty the same with, errr, JSB Exacts
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.