Thread: HW50 (later 99 type) fettling/galling query?

HW50 (later 99 type) fettling/galling query?

At a loose end last night I reached into my cabinet to pick a rifle for a tinker. I settled on my second hand HW50 which I have not had long. It shoots nicely but was stiff on cocking and too close to the limit for my liking without appearing to be dieseling. Time for an inspection.

Once the stock was off I could see there was a lot of lube in there, it was quite "wet" black grease. Perhaps moly which had been loosened with oil? Given the amount in there maybe there was some dieseling after all?

Anyway to the main event/query; there was some galling evident but not as deep as I have seen in some threads about this on the web. It didn't look severe enough to account for the drag on cocking. I did note a pressed in lump on the underside on the cocking lever and this area had the bluing worn off so I tried to see where this was wearing against. It appears to be wearing against the bottom of the stock cocking slot where it is wearing a groove. Given that the rifle cocks out of the stock more smoothly than in it I think it is the stock that is causing the drag and possibly contributing to the galling.

Does anyone else have experience of this? I am thinking of relieving the cocking slot of the stock a little before trying anything else, has anyone else done this? I couldn't find any info via an internet search.

Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

It's supposed to be there and it will show signs of metal-to-metal contact. I'm guessing it's there to prevent the infamous Weihrauch 'click'...

It could be in the stock mounting bracket or sometimes the screw slightly protruding, not seen any marks on the inletting of the stock.