Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springers: a case of the usual suspects?

creed Guest

Springers: a case of the usual suspects?

As I toy with the notion of buying a springer to mainly shoot at targets up to 25 metres standing unsupported,I think I am closing in on a short list of candidates.
    The question of calibre may not be so relevant but I am keeping an open mind on .177 or .22.
    At the distances I will be shooting it's not likeley to be a major factor,ease of loading and cocking will be more relevant (as discussed in a previous recent thread)and I will look at that more when I hopefully pick a final rifle.
    Essentially,it comes down to weight and balance;the need for steadiness whilst standing.
    All of the springers are heavy.My FX Typhoon weighs in at just under 4 kgs scoped.
    My "usual suspects" are:
    AA TX200 hc walnut 3.8 kg
    AA Pro Sport walnut 4.1 kg
    Weihrauch HW97K beech 4.0 kg.
    I really thought the TX200 would do it but I tried all 3 yesterday for fit and the TX was maybe a little too wobbly on aim - not much but there for me.
    The Prosport and HW97 were similar in that they held steadier for me ,at least on that day:too close to call.
    This time though the PRosport seemed a bigger,chunkier rifle compared to the HW.
    Given some people have expressed reservations about the Prosport cocking lever and a difference of about £150 in price,I am being drawn now to the dark side of Weihrauch,notwithstanding QC concerns expressed on several forums.
    Damn.I did want to buy British but now I'm not so sure.Still,the jury's still out- I still have to sell a couple of things first.
    The hunt continues.

I'd be having a serious look at the HW98, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    why exclude the full length TX ? The extra weight up front does steady it... and it's not exactly long - the barrel is around 13", just 1" more than the HW
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Do yourself and your fellow countryman a favour and buy the Prosport (now wait for the nerds to chime up and say "but it does have a German barrel"), that extra £150 difference you're worried about will soon get swallowed up by the 97 with tuning and then your want a better stock etc etc etc, at least with the PS it already has a beautiful well fitting stock and the internals are pretty well sorted but I will admit that a trip to the site of the Tinners will have you wanting some goodies from there which will enhance the rifles performance even more, or you could just follow the Lemmings and get a 97 but I'm sure there be the usual HW crowd along soon to persuade you to buy the 97.

Pete

PS, Just seen a PS for sale in the sales section at a very decent price which has had the internals done already and even cheaper than a new 97.
    Last edited by look no hands; 17-09-2017 at 06:31 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

creed Guest
    Thanks for your views.
    My friendly neighbourhood RFD didn't have the TX200 in rifle format.
    If I found the HC a little "wobbly" then I suspect the rifle may be a little more so?
    Without hefting it I cannot really say.
    The HW98 wasn't on my short list as I had heard (from,I think,on this forum)that it was perhaps overly front heavy.I've nothing against break barrels,BTW.
    Shooting from a rest,muzzle or front end weight can be beneficial but shooting standing,for me anyway,can just be a front end "balance" that,again purely for me,isn't balance but a front end drag downwards that I have to counter.
    The balance point for me is just in front of the trigger housing.
    Yes, the QC issues viz. Weihrauch and tuning costs do influence me.
    Still,from a cursory glance online Prosports do seem to come up for sale second hand more than HW97's or maybe that's just me?
    If that's right,would it mean cases of buyer's remorse for former PS owners (it is a pretty rifle,after all)?

Walther LGU?

What about adding a Walther to your list for consideration?

I had the LGV and found it pretty well balanced for me and standing shots. As I have not tried the LGU I cannot comment, but all these seem very accurate without much sorting and heavy enough for standing shots.

creed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
    What about adding a Walther to your list for consideration?

I had the LGV and found it pretty well balanced for me and standing shots. As I have not tried the LGU I cannot comment, but all these seem very accurate without much sorting and heavy enough for standing shots.
    Thanks for your response.
    I hefted a LGU and handed it back pretty quickly because it seemed so heavy and ungainly for me,reminiscent of a Bren gun but a couple of pounds lighter!
    There may be someone in my club with a Walther but I'm not sure if it's the LGV.I think it may be the LGU but I might try to catch him to check.
    From memory,whatever the model,he likes it a lot.

LGV its a break barrel but with a very solid lock up it also shoots better than any other on your list without having to go to the trouble / expense of tuning it try one first if you get the chance as some people cant get used to the trigger I find it perfect though and prefer it to the record trigger on the HWs

Quote Originally Posted by creed View Post
    Thanks for your views.
    My friendly neighbourhood RFD didn't have the TX200 in rifle format.
    If I found the HC a little "wobbly" then I suspect the rifle may be a little more so?
    Without hefting it I cannot really say.
    The HW98 wasn't on my short list as I had heard (from,I think,on this forum)that it was perhaps overly front heavy.I've nothing against break barrels,BTW.
    Shooting from a rest,muzzle or front end weight can be beneficial but shooting standing,for me anyway,can just be a front end "balance" that,again purely for me,isn't balance but a front end drag downwards that I have to counter.
    The balance point for me is just in front of the trigger housing.
    Yes, the QC issues viz. Weihrauch and tuning costs do influence me.
    Still,from a cursory glance online Prosports do seem to come up for sale second hand more than HW97's or maybe that's just me?
    If that's right,would it mean cases of buyer's remorse for former PS owners (it is a pretty rifle,after all)?
    The sales section is a strange place, as you say there are a few PS's for sale at the moment but other times it's crammed full of 97's and other HW's and then TX's.

I just find the PS to be perfectly balanced for me and like you I don't like to much weight up front, we are all different and some rifles suit some people better than others but at least you are doing your research and trying them out first before buying.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Ive had same bother with all those guns tx200 hw97k to heavy,only springer i got now is a Hw 99s great gun just as powerfull/accurate as tx200 and hw97k,its half the weight of tx200 hw97k,cracking rifle try one.

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    Ive had same bother with all those guns tx200 hw97k to heavy,only springer i got now is a Hw 99s great gun just as powerfull/accurate as tx200 and hw97k,its half the weight of tx200 hw97k,cracking rifle try one.
    There's always one

Now you've recommended the 99 you've opened the floodgates for all the 35 loonies to start annoying us

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    I agree. All the guns the OP has listed are too heavy for unsupported standing shots.

Either get something lighter, or buy a heavy gun that is designed for standing shots. And that means a 10m gun with diopter sights.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    The only quality light weight underlever is a Diana
    https://www.diana-airguns.de/index.p...960&height=600

But the TX is probably the favourite
    Last edited by Barryg; 17-09-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Creed,

The HW30S is a really sweet shooting rifle that will cope with 25 yards/meters no problem at all.

The only issue with the HW30S is the chronic galling that a lot are afflicted from with out of the box.

Mine was brand new, but had appalling galling - I had not fired even one shot when I stripped it and found the galling.

It required much filing smoothing of the cylinder/cocking slot, and modding of the cocking lever to reduce its height and the insert of two teflon blocks to correct.

With a Vortek PG2 kit, the HW30S now shoots like it was supposed to.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

creed Guest
    I was talking to a club member this morning who shoots springers and has done for decades.
    His views:
    Keep away from PS - several members of his HFT club have sold off their PS rifles in the last 2 years.
    Likes the TX200HC.
    Way and beyond favours Weihrauch above all others.
    Not keen on Walthers.
    Suggests I check HW98 as he has marked preference for break barrel over underlever and will bring one along for me to try.
    He did mention the HW99 too.
    Try them and see I guess.