Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springers: a case of the usual suspects?

Standing unsupported shooting: either target style with a heavy rifle all braced up, or sporting style with a light weight rifle. The latter really demands a total weight under 8 lbs. Those who can shoot sporting with a heavier rifle are either really "rifle" fit or big solid strong chaps. Balance makes a difference too with either neutral or most of the weight towards the rear. Two styles to control the heft in different ways.

To tame spring rifles the the heavier the better and the smoother the better. Rifles that are good for one good shot are usually on the too heavy side for long plinking sessions shooting standing unsupported sporting style.

Just saying as I like my unsupported plinking and use a FWB Sport, Webley Omega and a HW95, all three in the 71/2 lbs park before adding a light weight scope. These rifles behave better unsupported than they do when held to a bench as they can breath. Well all the spring harmonics are more consistent unsupported. Well I think so.

Lastly when shooting sporting unsupported I shoot fast and smoothly with a low powered scope, usually a 4x40. And keep the range down to 20m or so. Little gained from holding the aim too long trying to get perfection.

creed Guest
    Thanks, Muskett.
    I shot my Henry .44 on Friday night,weighing in at about 7 lbs and trying the feel of the underlever springers the next day was a bit odd due to their weight and balance.
    Scoping up a PS or HW97 will take the weight to c. 101/2 lbs so a tiring session shooting wise in all likelihood.
    Looks like it'll be a Weihrauch but moving down weight and maybe a breakbarrel to save weight without a cocking lever assuming fit and balance are ok.
    Thanks again to everyone who gave me their thoughts.It is greatly appreciated.

I'm not an expert but I always thought that a heavy rifle was the thing for standing unsupported which is why 10m target rifles have a significant heft to them?? Personally I also find longer barrelled rifles easier to hold steady than short ones. Try and get a shot with a HW90, they are a delight to shoot in. 22. Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

As had been said, the question of weight comes down to technique, and how you like to shoot.
    I use old 10m springers for bell target shooting and I like the extra the weight.

Last weekend I actually added 500g of lead to my TX00HC to make it even more stable

I agree with Muskett regarding a nice medium weight break barrel rifle, I like shooting unsupported and have most of the guns mentioned,my personal favourite's are my Webley Tomahawk,longbow and FWB sport in that order. The Tommy as just the right weight and balance for me.
    Les..

Bell target or Target shooting with sling and shooting jacket Oympic style is a whole technique and a worthy one in its own right. Practical sporting a different game.

If we are doing sporting then I've yet to find an underlever light enough. Break Barrel rifles are lighter and so much faster to reload. In sporting standing what is required is a solid central hit done in a smooth fashion. Target shooting is trying to put the bullet on a pin head with plenty of time to ensure that precision. They are different disciplines.

The other break barrel I use is a Theoben Fenman, another break barrel.
    I also have an electric moving target, all plinking good fun. If I hunt with an air rile its 25m max; and shoot standing, usually unsupported.
    (Plinking is under valued and often thought as just fun. Just like open sights are considered third class. They shouldn't be as they have their roots on service rifle practical. Its how I learnt when young and I enjoy it as much now. I am just not so good.)

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I'm not an expert but I always thought that a heavy rifle was the thing for standing unsupported which is why 10m target rifles have a significant heft to them?? Personally I also find longer barrelled rifles easier to hold steady than short ones. Try and get a shot with a HW90, they are a delight to shoot in. 22. Max
    Yes, but the heavy target guns for unsupported shooting are designed for 10m and have diopter sights. Even target rimfire guns are only shot out to about 20m.

Taking a good shot at 30 yards with a heavy scoped gun is extremely difficult. Keeping the scope anywhere near a target is hard enough in itself. You might make the odd decent shot but the weight of the gun will soon become too much for you.

Soldiers were able to take standing shots with heavy military rifles if necessary but you must remember that they were shooting at man sized targets. Provided they hit the enemy anywhere on his body they had disabled him.

But even then, they would generally shoot prone or supported in some way if it was at all possible.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    There's always one

Now you've recommended the 99 you've opened the floodgates for all the 35 loonies to start annoying us

Pete
    Ooh, now you mention it, Pete........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Lighter / medium weight, easy to load, smooth, accurate, superb trigger, lots of tuning / customising parts, easy interchangeability to a '98 or custom stock all points towards a HW95 to me.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Ooh, now you mention it, Pete........
    DFS (Don't f*****g start)

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    DFS (Don't f*****g start)

Pete
    With a "flipping" in the middle, Pete?

Okay, me play nice.

creed Guest
    [QUOTE=TonyL;7340038]Lighter / medium weight, easy to load, smooth, accurate, superb trigger, lots of tuning / customising parts, easy interchangeability to a '98 or custom stock all points towards a HW95 to me.[/QUOTE
    I take it you quite like Weihrauch air rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by creed View Post
    I take it you quite like Weihrauch air rifles?
    Now you mention it........

Horses for courses.

If you can adopt a target-style, mostly bone supported, stance, and have a little time, a heavier rifle will be more accurate. Always. Unless there are physical issues with the weight. I used to shoot standing targets at 200 yards with c/f, and my heavier rifles always shot better. But I had something like a minute allowed per shot.

If you can't adopt a target stance, e.g. taking a quick shot at an unexpected rat in a barn, or not able to move into a perfect stance for fear of spooking your quarry, something lighter and, in particular, less front-heavy will be easier to use when you are significantly supporting it with muscle not bone.

So, you are all right. It depends on the circumstances.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Lighter / medium weight, easy to load, smooth, accurate, superb trigger, lots of tuning / customising parts, easy interchangeability to a '98 or custom stock all points towards a HW95 to me.
    In all honesty I would have a tendency to agree with you regarding the 95 but only because you can't get the BSA Challenger very easily anymore

Like you say there is an abundance of customising parts for it and I prefer a break barrel over an underlever for longer sessions and the ease and quickness of loading when out hunting.

Now that I've agreed with you about the 95 you won't be stupid enough to mention the 35

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in