Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Springers: a case of the usual suspects?

The old BSA's like the Airsporter and Mercury, sure pointed nicely and the right weight for farm yard use. They were a bit iron site orientated stock cone wise.
    Longbow would be a good one being an updated Omega.
    Geeser said it well about the two styles of shooting.

Soldiers can handle heavier rifles as they are "rifle fit" having done all those upper body strength exercises like holding the rifles above their heads (not just a punishment).

My tuned 95 is very similar to a Sport in many ways, has the better trigger. Neither can compete with heavier rifles off the bench. Both "want" to shoot straight.

Some small weight forwardness isn't necessarily a bad thing to buck some wind; I quite like it. A light weight sound moderator is enough just to tip the balance.

Lastly lighter rifles are twitchy and with springers less forgiving when tied to the bench bags. I like a rifle that wants to shoot straight when standing. Practice enough and you can feel them shoot to hit what you are aiming at. Feel rather than deliberate. Match target shooting is all technical to be as dead as possible; sporting is alive all in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Horses for courses.

If you can adopt a target-style, mostly bone supported, stance, and have a little time, a heavier rifle will be more accurate. Always. Unless there are physical issues with the weight. I used to shoot standing targets at 200 yards with c/f, and my heavier rifles always shot better. But I had something like a minute allowed per shot.

If you can't adopt a target stance, e.g. taking a quick shot at an unexpected rat in a barn, or not able to move into a perfect stance for fear of spooking your quarry, something lighter and, in particular, less front-heavy will be easier to use when you are significantly supporting it with muscle not bone.

So, you are all right. It depends on the circumstances.
    What were your groups like?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    What were your groups like?
    About 10-12" at 200 yards on a good day, using a standard WW1 or WW2 service rifle, that would, rested, shoot into 2-4MOA.

That would certainly kill a man.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Regularly used to shoot Fig:11's at 300m with the iron sighted SLR standing unsupported. Later the Fig:12 with SA80/Susat. Did it once with 12c's and it could be done. 500m got a bit hit and miss.
    Those were the days