Thread: Air Arms QC?

Air Arms QC?

Has anyone else had an issue with a new springer from Air Arms?

I've had 4 of their springers now, the other 3 were faultless so, I'm hoping this was just a Friday afternoon job

I picked up a brand new .177 TX200hc recently. When I got it home and first cocked it, it felt rough - I could hear and feel metal against metal contact.

It really wasn't nice.

So, I took it apart and, sure enough, there were scratches and a couple of small gouges on the inside of the main body - it looked like they'd been caused by the leading edge of the compression tube.

Also, the last couple of coils on the spring were bent slightly to the side - I wondered if this was the cause.

A bit of time with some wet and dry around a broom handle and, a Titan No. 10 from the spares box has sorted it.

It's a lovely rifle - I was just a disappointed that it left the factory like that.

All of the above.

I have not heard of this on a TX before so am very surprised. However any manufacturer can have a slip up. I have to admit if I bought one new and had the same issue it would be straight back to the shop to be swapped.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post

I've had 4 of their springers now, the other 3 were faultless so, I'm hoping this was just a Friday afternoon job

I picked up a brand new .177 TX200hc recently. When I got it home and first cocked it, it felt rough - I could hear and feel metal against metal contact.

It really wasn't nice.

So, I took it apart and, sure enough, there were scratches and a couple of small gouges on the inside of the main body - it looked like they'd been caused by the leading edge of the compression tube.

Also, the last couple of coils on the spring were bent slightly to the side - I wondered if this was the cause.

A bit of time with some wet and dry around a broom handle and, a Titan No. 10 from the spares box has sorted it.

It's a lovely rifle - I was just a disappointed that it left the factory like that.
    Here is a old picture
    https://goo.gl/images/jVGWnA

So not new just rare

Knockedover is offline Strength.Determination.Merciless.Forever.
    Not an Air Arms springer but 2 of 4 HFT500s I've recently serviced have had issues. Both still with anti tamper intact so untampered with. First was a crushed and blown out transfer port O ring between breech block and action. And the second a loose firing pot wobbling around due to no retaining grub screw.

My TX 200 is a couple of years old now and my only problem has been the shite trigger. Filed to shape by some 5 year old I believe.

A.G

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    My TX was very twangy!

Its internals fitted together like a wet welly.

But nothing like what you mention.
    Master Debater

Thank you for the replies chaps

I'm pleased to hear that it's a rare occurrence.

I may have been tempted to take it back and swap it but, I had the last .177 HC that he had in stock and, I'm an impatient twat and a fatal tinkerer

To be fair, it didn't take too long to sort.

I'm slowly learning how to do these things - next up, I'm thinking of polishing the contact faces on the trigger sears and latch rod - I've never had one apart before so, I'm hoping it won't end up being an explosion of springs and pins.

All of the above.

I've had several each of the TX and Prosport. Some have nicely matched components and some don't. It seems to be the luck of the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockedover View Post
    Not an Air Arms springer but 2 of 4 HFT500s I've recently serviced have had issues. Both still with anti tamper intact so untampered with. First was a crushed and blown out transfer port O ring between breech block and action. And the second a loose firing pot wobbling around due to no retaining grub screw.
    I found similar with an AA S500. I removed the anti-tamper plugs to find that several of the screws that should have been underneath were missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post

I recently bought a lovely TX200 .177 with walnut stock from this forum. It's a beauty, and not old. However, the dovetail "grooves" were very shallow indeed, which makes it quite a faff to get the scope mounts to grip. The last rifle I had with shallow dovetail grooves was a BSA Meteor years ago!