Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TX200HC - is it a worthy purchase?

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    This may sound like a joke, but it's not. The blue seal is possibly a Diana part. Back in 2000 I ordered some stuff from Maccari and there were 2 blue seals. They were marked Diana on the under side. Very soft and pliable as well as indestructible. I kept one in a TX for 50,000+ shots and only removed it because I thought it had to be old and worn out. Still around somewhere and still pliable. Maccari now makes his own version of the old blue seal and it's also every bit as good. The joke reference is that I know you love Dianas. I've seen the same seal in a 48, but it was much too large for a TX.
    Not sure how that would work as the Diana blue seals are 28mm and TX/PS seals are 25mm I expect the wedge piston fitting may be the same but unless they were a experimental seal by Maccari and may be he was doing 25mm conversions on Diana's ??

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Not sure how that would work as the Diana blue seals are 28mm and TX/PS seals are 25mm I expect the wedge piston fitting may be the same but unless they were a experimental seal by Maccari and may be he was doing 25mm conversions on Diana's ??

Pete
    Custom air seals do a blue seal. Its a closed face type and marketed for Gamo rifles. It does fit the TX piston
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by CuppaT View Post
    I had a TX200 MK3 (full length, beech) which i owned for a week before selling it. I didn't like the weight, balance, feel, fiddly loading (compared to a break barrel). And to a lesser degree i didn't like the anti bear trap faff. But i now find myself hankering for a TX200HC in walnut...

Am i kidding myself that the balance will be better?
    Am i kidding myself that the 300g weight saving will make a nice difference?

I'd like to hear from those that have owned both the MK3 and the HC, and from current owners of the HC.

The use will be plinking, target plinking, hunting occasionally.
    I have a .177 HC Walnut which you're welcome to try if you can make it to The Bash.

To make the same power as the full length rifle, more preload is required on the HC, leading to slightly more cocking effort again (obviously higher already due to the shorter lever). Whether this presents an issue is down to the individual. I don't have an issue with mine.

When I bought it, I was going to go for a full length beech version (for the greater efficiency), but my local friendly RFD had this mint, hardly used stumpy walnut one at a price that was hard to resist.

The HC is going nowhere and it may get augmented by a full length one at some point, as and when funds allow.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I didn't like the weight, balance, feel, fiddly loading (compared to a break barrel). And to a lesser degree i didn't like the anti bear trap faff.
    Must admit, the first few times I tried TXs at The Bash I also found them fiddly to load (especially in .177 and with monster scopes fitted) and the bear trap also to be annoying. Some also were reluctant to set their safeties if not cocked with authority.

I don't have a big scope on mine, so no loading issues. And I just got into the habit of holding the ABT button in when cocking and, obviously, returning the lever. It just becomes second nature after a while. Keeping the safety bar oiled keeps it snicking in and out sweetly.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Thumbs up

I had a TX200 MK3 (full length, beech) which i owned for a week before selling it. I didn't like the weight, balance, feel, fiddly loading (compared to a break barrel). And to a lesser degree i didn't like the anti bear trap faff. But i now find myself hankering for a TX200HC in walnut...

Am i kidding myself that the balance will be better?
    Am i kidding myself that the 300g weight saving will make a nice difference?

I'd like to hear from those that have owned both the MK3 and the HC, and from current owners of the HC.

The use will be plinking, target plinking, hunting occasionally.
    If you're ever near Sevenhampton (nr Swindon), you're welcome to try my .177 HC - I can be at Black Cat HFT on a Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday - weekends are busier so, there should be a couple more to try in various states of tune.

For me, I love them, they seem to fit me perfectly and, give me confidence when using them.

I wouldn't be without a sling when hunting with one though. But, that weight does work for me when taking the shot.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Some also were reluctant to set their safeties if not cocked with authority.
    I think the problem with the safety not setting is down to a poorly adjusted trigger combined with the factory lube which goes sticky and hard. The trigger unit on my last TX was soaked in this "lube". A thorough degrease of the whole trigger unit is needed and a relube with some light oil (sewing machine oil / fishing reel oil to contact surfaces and pins. Then adjust trigger if necessary from there.

"Cocking with authority" will bend the pressed steel link at the end of the cocking arm resulting in the cocking arm not locking up on the detent on closing and dropping free on firing.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Custom air seals do a blue seal. Its a closed face type and marketed for Gamo rifles. It does fit the TX piston
    I know, I had one in my Brocock Independant before I converted it to the 25mm HW seal but mine was red and wasn't closed faced but yes they also fit the TX.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    This may sound like a joke, but it's not. The blue seal is possibly a Diana part. Back in 2000 I ordered some stuff from Maccari and there were 2 blue seals. They were marked Diana on the under side. Very soft and pliable as well as indestructible. I kept one in a TX for 50,000+ shots and only removed it because I thought it had to be old and worn out. Still around somewhere and still pliable. Maccari now makes his own version of the old blue seal and it's also every bit as good. The joke reference is that I know you love Dianas. I've seen the same seal in a 48, but it was much too large for a TX.
    Mr Poole, I know you are a TX fan so this might help clarify about the blue seal, I have included a pic of both a blue and the usual green seal on the invoice
    https://imgur.com/eJcRMcx

Thanks for all replies, offers and comments. 👌

Tony i hope to be able to take up your offer for the bash. Many thanks 👍

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I use three TX's, two .22's and a .177. One of the .22 rifles is an SR but being a left handed (or maybe it's just me) I find them a little tricky to load.
    Don't get me wrong, they're accurate, powerful and a pleasure to shoot but I'm beginning to prefer my 97 and my 25mm 77 V-Mach basically down to the larger loading port and being easier to load not having the anti bear trap lever to hold down.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    The Diana seal for the TX is from the 24/27 and 94 rifles. They have a 1" seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Mr Poole, I know you are a TX fan so this might help clarify about the blue seal, I have included a pic of both a blue and the usual green seal on the invoice
    https://imgur.com/eJcRMcx
    The blue colored seal, in the photo, is the exact color for sure. The Maccari seals always fit a bit snug, but I just give it a bit more spring to get it to 12 ft. lbs. Just adding the Maccari seal to a standard FAC TX will often make it feel as though it has had a fitted guide installed. Sort of cushions the shot cycle, for lack of a more scientific explanation.

The Diana seal for the TX is from the 24/27 and 94 rifles. They have a 1" seal.
    Aha! that answers that then, I gracefully stand corrected, not knowing overly lots about Diana's I have only ever worked on the later 34's which have the 28mm blue seal.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I think the problem with the safety not setting is down to a poorly adjusted trigger combined with the factory lube which goes sticky and hard. The trigger unit on my last TX was soaked in this "lube". A thorough degrease of the whole trigger unit is needed and a relube with some light oil (sewing machine oil / fishing reel oil to contact surfaces and pins. Then adjust trigger if necessary from there.

"Cocking with authority" will bend the pressed steel link at the end of the cocking arm resulting in the cocking arm not locking up on the detent on closing and dropping free on firing.
    Understood.

Mine is fine and always has been. Like you say, just a drop of very light oil from time to time keeps it snickety boo.

Thanks for all replies, offers and comments. 👌

Tony i hope to be able to take up your offer for the bash. Many thanks 👍
    No worries.