Thread: Steyr LG110

Steyr LG110

Purchased new Feb 2016 used on a regular basis, Should this now be serviced. I was told that it should be serviced at least once a year, is that correct?
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    Purchased new Feb 2016 used on a regular basis, Should this now be serviced. I was told that it should be serviced at least once a year, is that correct?
    Don't see why. I always leave PCP's until there is an actual need for a repair. I found on the LG110 the most common problem is the bolt lever not closing or wanting to pop open. This is caused by polyurethane breach seal losing a bit of elasticity and need replacing, or readjust the barrel position by loosening the locking allen screw that holds it.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 18-09-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hi Mate, I service mine once every couple of years but it does depend on whether you're seeing problems or how much you shoot. the firing valve tends to be the item that needs swapping out on a regular basis but i have serviced Steyrs that have been in excess of 5 years old that have been going strong. I've added something i knocked up for a mate below. Don't read too much into it. Servicing is easy enough as there are tutorials on the Steyr sprotswaffen site. It's the assembly and setting up that can be tricky as the balance of the reg pressure vs firing valve vs hammer spring vs stabiliser set up can totally alter the way the rifle 'feels' to shoot. If you have any worries about the rifle or think there may be a problem then please feel free to drop me a PM.

Remove cylinder, remove transfer port and strip rifle down to base level and clean inside chassis. On LG110 check chassis O ring and replace if necessary.
    Strip down stabiliser, remove plastic brake and 3 springs (or newer brake version) and remove stab spring. Clean and wipe with lightly oiled cloth before rebuilding and replacing any damaged/worn parts. Clean inside of bolt, check stabiliser flipper assy and replace breech o ring, check roller bearing and cocking lever for wear/flat spots. Rebuild bolt ensuring all items are gently wiped with oily cloth.
    Remove reg, reg housing, firing valve, firing valve spring, trigger sear, hammer spring and hammer. Degrease all items and hammer run/firing valve run in the block. No lubrication used in these areas. Lap the face of the hammer and check the length of the hammer spring with a vernier, replace if too short. Check the firing valve spring with a vernier, replace if too short, check the o ring pressed into the firing valve and replace valve if necessary (nearly always a good idea to replace the firing valve). Reg stripped, internally cleaned and new o rings and Belleville washers fitted, put on the reg checker and set to 85bar and left for 24 hours to check for creep. Simulate 30 shots over an hour period to make sure the reg returns to 85 bar.
    Assemble the block ensuring that the following are replaced, reg/block interface o ring, reg/interface o ring and the cocking lever pin o ring. Check the height of the cocking lever pin. Put the block, stabiliser and cocking lever back into chassis and secure in correct position, fit transfer port and replace o ring. Check for correct locking of cocking lever and smooth operation. Barrel position adjusted if required. Dry fire stabiliser to ensure it’s operating/set correctly.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Sounds like there is a lot of maintenance required for a very expensive rifle. I noticed there is a little pin in the cocking mechanism that can come loose and needs some Locktite to secure it. They may have improved this on later models as I have only worked on the old one.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Sounds like there is a lot of maintenance required for a very expensive rifle. I noticed there is a little pin in the cocking mechanism that can come loose and needs some Locktite to secure it. They may have improved this on later models as I have only worked on the old one.

Baz
    Not really Baz, it's just what i do when servicing mine and friends and probably go furthur than necessary. I've been servicing Steyr's for 15 years or so and both mine are around the 15 year old mark and still going strong. I've only come across one rifle that had a loose cocking lever pin and the only reason i can think of for wear like that would be a heavy handed user

I can normally do the items i mentioned above in about 1-2 hours but i'm quite anal about getting the reg pressures (return pressures) super stable so this can take a few hours on it's own. I can simulate the shot cycle on my reg checker so 'tap' the shot, wait 2 minutes, and then do it gain. I do that for 50 x 2 minutes intervals as then i know that the reg will return to the correct pressure during a full FT 50 shot course. I try to get as little 'creep' as possible between the shots.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us