Thread: A question or two on a Webley Premier air pistol

A question or two on a Webley Premier air pistol

Hi, it has been a while since I last posted.
    I have a Webley Premier with battered grips and a missing stirrup latch. I think that the original latch is sintered and prone to breakage?
    It has been laying in a drawer for a while and recently a latch was offered so I have been thinking that it is time to get this Premier operational again.
    What other Webleys have interchangeable parts? More especially, are the early Webley Senior stirrup latches and grips a suitable replacement.
    Is this a straightforward swap over of parts if I can find them, is there any fettling involved? - I may have a lead on the stirrup latch from a Birmingham 4 Senior model Senior and would this be suitable? It is a distance away so a simple trial fit is not possible.
    Cheers, I would appreciate your direction. Thanks for your advice
    Last edited by slow_runner; 18-09-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Looking at my Premier and Senior side by side the catches are different, but I think they would be interchangeable.

Unfortunately I gave my older Premier away last week, but I'm pretty sure it had the same catch as the Senior.

Let me know if you want pictures of them side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    Looking at my Premier and Senior side by side the catches are different, but I think they would be interchangeable. Unfortunately I gave my older Premier away last week, but I'm pretty sure it had the same catch as the Senior.
    Let me know if you want pictures of them side by side.
    Images might be helpful, thanks for the offer.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays

Lightbulb

Hi, all of the 'slant' grips will swop between the Mk1,Senior and Premier. The earlier straight grips found on the Pre war Mk1,Senior and Mk2 Target will also interchange out of interest.
    The catch from a Senior will fit aslong as your Premier isn't the alloy framed Mk2 as this is wider and so has a wider catch. Yes for a period there was a sintered catch that was more breakable.
    Grips do come up for sale but they do seem to command strong prices. Have yours suffered breaks in the usual place? Atb Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Hi, all of the 'slant' grips will swop between the Mk1,Senior and Premier. The earlier straight grips found on the Pre war Mk1,Senior and Mk2 Target will also interchange out of interest.
    The catch from a Senior will fit aslong as your Premier isn't the alloy framed Mk2 as this is wider and so has a wider catch. Yes for a period there was a sintered catch that was more breakable.
    Grips do come up for sale but they do seem to command strong prices. Have yours suffered breaks in the usual place? Atb Phil
    Yes Phil, the grips have break outs at the locating pin.
    I better check that Premier again to see if it is the alloy unit; memory and recollection are not working too well this morning- again

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Yes Phil, the grips have break outs at the locating pin.
    I better check that Premier again to see if it is the alloy unit; memory and recollection are not working too well this morning- again
    Threw me when you said it's morning but then saw you are in Auckland,sorry I hadn't noticed before. What is it like there for Webley spares,are they hard to get hold of?

Last edited by distantcamera; 18-09-2017 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Wrong name for the gun

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Threw me when you said it's morning but then saw you are in Auckland,sorry I hadn't noticed before. What is it like there for Webley spares,are they hard to get hold of?
    They are about although not in the quantity that I imagine you have access to over your way Phil.
    Otherwise it is Knibbs or Chambers....

Thank you for the images distant.
    On the Premier, the latch seems bulky at the pivot point. Would that Premier latch be the sintered version?

[QUOTE=slow_runner;7340937]They are about although not in the quantity that I imagine you have access to over your way Phil.
    Otherwise it is Knibbs or Chambers

They do crop up over here but always at a price. I ended up casting my own,I wouldn't know how to do a link but there's a thread on here somewhere of some that I've made. Saves hunting around and having to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    On the Premier, the latch seems bulky at the pivot point. Would that Premier latch be the sintered version?
    That I have no idea. The catch on the older Premier has the end broken off though; you can see in the picture.

Decisions....

I expect to have the Senior bits in my hands early/late next week.
    The other day I spoke with the owner and there is a chance that there could be more than I had been promised, perhaps a near complete but non functioning Senior pistol.
    That will be nice, although I would be in a quandary as to which pistol to finish.
    I am looking forward to having the Premier up and running once again