Thread: hw55t

hw55t

hi, a few questions for anyone who owns and shoots a hw55. fancied one for a while (55t)and had hold of one at the weekend. could cock and de cock but alas not shoot it as to where it was on show . I thought these guns were running up to 6 ftlbs standard ? is that correct ? also the gun in question seemed rather hard to cock a lot harder than any 6ftlbs target gun ive ever cocked, even cocked the gun several times to feel if it loosened up but no , it was smooth but felt rather heavy/strong to do so (so left me wondering as guy had no idea if the spring was beefed up). do they suffer from the hw barrel droop. breech looked ok but barrel was downwards for shure, it was a quick check but the barrel looked slightly bananared from the end of the breech block ( didn't get a chance to look down the barrel for the half moon to confirm as I was quite put off by the force needed to cock) . gun felt /handled an looked in vgc, but to cock oh no !!. anyone enlighten me please ,thanks gc..

Quote Originally Posted by gc93 View Post
    hi, a few questions for anyone who owns and shoots a hw55. fancied one for a while (55t)and had hold of one at the weekend. could cock and de cock but alas not shoot it as to where it was on show . I thought these guns were running up to 6 ftlbs standard ? is that correct ? also the gun in question seemed rather hard to cock a lot harder than any 6ftlbs target gun ive ever cocked, even cocked the gun several times to feel if it loosened up but no , it was smooth but felt rather heavy/strong to do so (so left me wondering as guy had no idea if the spring was beefed up). do they suffer from the hw barrel droop. breech looked ok but barrel was downwards for shure, it was a quick check but the barrel looked slightly bananared from the end of the breech block ( didn't get a chance to look down the barrel for the half moon to confirm as I was quite put off by the force needed to cock) . gun felt /handled an looked in vgc, but to cock oh no !!. anyone enlighten me please ,thanks gc..
    Venom used to uprate these to 10-11 ft/lbs. I am sure that many other somewhat less talented folk have tried the same through stuffing in a bigger spring.

My HW55t is fairly Standard at <>6ft/pds, it takes approximately 15lb to cock nice and smooth, the barrel lock-up is tight without any movement even before engaging the lock-up lever.
    It sounds as if someone has upped the power with an aftermarket spring, this puts a lot of strain on the barrel when cocking so therefore it can result in a bent barrel, although it can be restored to standard and the barrel straightened you really need to test fire the rifle before committing a purchase.
    Lovely rifles to shoot in standard form, very accurate with very little recoil that, afterall was how they were intended to be.

DaveM.

Quote Originally Posted by gc93 View Post
    I think they are very similar in size the Walther LG 55 and I think the both take the same spring. If so the experience I have had with my two LG 55 is they are lovely to shoot at 6ft fb and below, but are horrible when you try to increase power. One of the most comfortable and pleasant spring rifles to shoot, having a short compression chamber so the weight and balance is so comfortable at the shoulder, easy and smooth to cock. Normally rifle barrels are bent upwards from accidental firing when barrel is released when not in battery, (the LG55 has a safety mechanism to stop this) so yours must have a huge spring in to bend it down when cocking !

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Great looking rifle & nice shooting manners, same action as the HW50 less the locking lever so does go up no problem, cant remember if the piston on the 55 has shorter stoke than the 50.

It shouldn't be hard to cock unless its got a monster square section spring in it or over tight barrel axis bolt.

Yes, Ive been down the power crazed '55 route. Replaced the standard leather washer unit with a modern plastic parachute seal, bigger spring etc. I turned a lovely accurate shooting gun into a 10.5ft.lbs monster. I soon reverted it back to original.
    Personally I find the Walther Mod 55s to be better shooters. Easier to cock and very smooth/little recoil.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I have one here that seems to shoot very nice around 7.5 FP, with a TX200 seal... I don't think I'd want to go any higher...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have a LH (how rare is that!) HW55T that is unfortunately broke and repaired across the wrist. It is the most abused air rifle I have ever seen internally as well. Something must have broken internally, the cocking lever seems to be from a hw35, and it had a terrible spring and seal setup (o ring and ptfe seal)
    It had been used in the above condition for quite a while looking at some of the wear in the wrong places :-( strangely it still shot ok although was to hard to cock compared to the output.

Fortunately I have had some help with the re-build as I was struggling slightly, and it's doing 7.5ftlbs now ;-)

Got a set of later diopter sights to go on as the barrel was cut slightly (could it have been in a worse state!) , really looking forward to shooting tomorrow :-)

Thanks - Geoff.

Hw55t

My Venom does 10.4 and had no trouble hitting the 50 yrd spinners at the bash in June with mine. Lovely rifles. Mach 1.5

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    My Venom does 10.4 and had no trouble hitting the 50 yrd spinners at the bash in June with mine. Lovely rifles. Mach 1.5
    That must have a longer stroke..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Yes, Ive been down the power crazed '55 route. Replaced the standard leather washer unit with a modern plastic parachute seal, bigger spring etc. I turned a lovely accurate shooting gun into a 10.5ft.lbs monster. I soon reverted it back to original.
    Personally I find the Walther Mod 55s to be better shooters. Easier to cock and very smooth/little recoil.

HTH
    Ian
    The Walther 55 you sold me a couple of years ago shoots very sweetly, and, as you say, is easily cocked using only my left little finger.

hw55

hi thanks for the replies, my assumptions on its been beefed up sound correct. thinking now bent down barrel was maybe caused by a cocking arm failure or as hard to cock a heavy handed cocking operator over a time . thanks again chaps. gc..