Thread: Air Bottle dilemma - I'm sure someone will know!

Air Bottle dilemma - I'm sure someone will know!

Slightly dithering at the moment on which way to go because my interest in air rifles has been rekindled and the technology has moved on - and I haven't! Until very recently I owned an Air Arms S200 which I have now sold - I only used it occasionally and my 3 litre 300 bar bottle seemed to last for ages before it needed refilling. I have applied for a variation on my Firearm Certificate to buy a FAC air rifle in 0.22 (BSA R10 SE, Air Arms S510 and possibly one of the less expensive Daystates' are being considered) - so I have some questions please:

My present air bottle needs a hydrostatic test as it's as well out of date, on the assumption that it passes, how many fills do you think I could achieve before it needs to be refilled? Should I abandon this bottle and buy a larger capacity one and if so what size? One factor is that in this part of the world I no longer know where I can get the bottle filled - there used to be a chap in a village near me that had his own compressor but he's now moved to S. Ireland so maybe a large capacity bottle is the way I go to get the maximum benefit of possibly having to travel some distance. Also I'm trying to keep costs down because starting up again is looking a bit frightening.

Thanks
    A good friend and formidable enemy

No one can tell you accurately because as yet you don't have the rifle to know what size bottle/tube it will have

What I can say is that FAC power eats air, I get mid 50's shots from a 400cc bottle at 42ftlb, the S510 extra FAC gives 30+ shots up to 30ftlb,

so it will be a reasonable assumption that you need a bigger cylinder, how big depends on how much of a faff it is to get a refill

Mine came with a twin 12ltr 300bar set