Thread: fibre optic open sights

fibre optic open sights

ok i'm trying the above for the first time for a bit of fun and the best i'm managing is 1 1/4 inch groups at 10 yards how am i doing (be honest)? i've already had a scope on the rifle so know that it has good accuracy so any error is me.

are you using normal rear sight or a peep back sight.?

just the standard 'normal' one. i'm a regular rat shooter so if and when i get my group sizes tighter i wouldn't mind a pop for the challenge.

Most fibre optics are the enemy of precision. They are only good for quick shots on big things.

Try cutting some bits of black electrical tape to cover up the fibre optics and see if your groups improve.

Quote Originally Posted by bullcelt View Post
    ok i'm trying the above for the first time for a bit of fun and the best i'm managing is 1 1/4 inch groups at 10 yards how am i doing (be honest)? i've already had a scope on the rifle so know that it has good accuracy so any error is me.
    Practice makes perfect...

are you used to shooting with open sights or is the tru glo the first time. if you are used to open sights are your results good with normal open sights. i shoot truglo front with peep sight rear and they are very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    are you used to shooting with open sights or is the tru glo the first time. if you are used to open sights are your results good with normal open sights. i shoot truglo front with peep sight rear and they are very accurate.
    i've dabbled with opens in the past but never been confident enough with my accuracy to have a go at shooting live quarry ie rats. i cant see me ever being good enough to try at longer ranges say for rabbits but at the moment its just a bit of fun come challenge just getting group size down.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    How are you setting the sights in relation to the target? I have mine set to hold at the bottom of the 1" target to hit bull

Pete
    Pete

I had similar results to you using the try glow sights on my old 900x thought they were rubbish but the ones on my hatsan 55 are really good much smaller and more precise easy 10mm groups at 12 yards .

Same company same roughly same age rifle s must be about the same effort to produce small accurate as big clumsy.

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    How far apart are the front and rear sights? If close together on a short base, accuracy will be limited.

Hi, what Rifle is it and have you done pellet testing with a scope to determine its favourite. At 10m you should be able to put in one hole groups with practice. As said, I like to set them so you sit the sights just below the bull to hit it.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

tried those and diopter. both as good as each other. was going to say neither could point me in the direction of a barn door, but they were pretty good. no good for night hunting though.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

ok i've taken on board whats been suggested and i'm doing just under an inch at 12 yards and i'd say thats my max for distance.
    the groups tighten up quite well as i get closer (obviously).
    i think where was really going wrong was by trying to cover the target with the front optic where in fact i get better accuracy by as suggested aiming a little low allowing me to still see what i'm aiming at.
    fore and rear sights are 15 inches apart and with practice my confidence has grown,time is on my side i'm off work this week
    thanks for the help guys.

ok i've taken on board whats been suggested and i'm doing just under an inch at 12 yards and i'd say thats my max for distance.
    the groups tighten up quite well as i get closer (obviously).
    i think where was really going wrong was by trying to cover the target with the front optic where in fact i get better accuracy by as suggested aiming a little low allowing me to still see what i'm aiming at.
    fore and rear sights are 15 inches apart and with practice my confidence has grown,time is on my side i'm off work this week
    thanks for the help guys.
    I had the TruGlow sights for a while. At short distance (10m), I could get 1/2" groupings but as I extended the distance, my accuracy dissolved.

I eventually came to the conclusion that my eyesight wasn't good enough to go beyond about 10m with open sights, so I put a scope on it. Shame, because I did enjoy the TruGlow but I really want to shoot further.

Quote Originally Posted by jm5* View Post
    I had the TruGlow sights for a while. At short distance (10m), I could get 1/2" groupings but as I extended the distance, my accuracy dissolved.

I eventually came to the conclusion that my eyesight wasn't good enough to go beyond about 10m with open sights, so I put a scope on it. Shame, because I did enjoy the TruGlow but I really want to shoot further.
    yes that plays its part with me as well and i now know my limits distance wise.