Thread: Advice wanted regarding "Out of Test" PCP Filling Cylinder

Advice wanted regarding "Out of Test" PCP Filling Cylinder

As title : whilst my MDE 7ltre 300 Bar Bottle still has enough gas in it for the present, it's out of test (dated 2012/05) and needs a new Test Certificate before it can be filled again. I've got another cylinder anyway, so strictly speaking don't need the MDE one any longer. My question is, when's the best time to sell it, as is, or after testing ? and what could I reasonably expect to get for it either way around ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies, Vic thompson.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Last time I tested a cylinder it cost £35 to do. A cyclinder could fail the test, so anyone buying it will want this reflected in the price. I think a tested bottle with whip and gauge would make more money than an untested/unknown one.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

The fact the test has run out makes no difference to getting it retested & I'm baffled as to why you've bought a new one
    I suspect 2012/05 might be it's date of manufacture so it's only just run out, otherwise it's been full but unused for 5+ years if it was the test expiry

Paying £40 odd for a 5 year test will put maybe £100 on to the sale value because without test it's worth very little.

I have just this week bought a new 7ltr 300bar tank with a whip for £180 posted (obviously no air in it) so I'd say about £120-£130 for a recently tested one. Without a test the buyer would be be taking a gamble, so possibly £50 bearing in mind that if it fails, it will probably be scrapped. A retest is around £40. I believe if there's surface rust on the inside there's a possibility that it can be cleaned but how much that costs I don't know.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 21-09-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Bit tricky this.
    I have same problem.

Sell it for £50 without test.
    Or pay £46 for test and sell for £100.
    Make £54!

I found out that if a bottle fails it costs £25 which doesn't help much.

How often do they fail and for what reasons?

In theory - you could fill it yourself with one of these new inexpensive Chinese 300bar compressors. How wise this is on a bottle out of test is anyones guess.

Hope friends don't think I am being funny but persoanlly I wouldn't touch a cylinder without a test cert with less tha 3 years on it. Even if you got it for £30.00 paid £40.00 to have it tested and someting was up it will be £70.00 down the drain. Get it tested and it would be worth about £110.00 . Brand new they are about £170.00.

A.G

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Hope friends don't think I am being funny but persoanlly I wouldn't touch a cylinder without a test cert with less tha 3 years on it. Even if you got it for £30.00 paid £40.00 to have it tested and someting was up it will be £70.00 down the drain. Get it tested and it would be worth about £110.00 . Brand new they are about £170.00.

A.G
    ^^^ This

It's £40/45 for a test plus the hassle and risk to a new buyer, get it done and flog it with a 5 year test for £110/120 or try for £40 untested, but I'd only buy one in good condition and in test, so you may find it hard to shift.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I had the option to buy one a couple of weeks ago with 8 months test left on it. It was advertised at £110 and the seller was only willing to drop to £95, it did look in good condition but by the time I'd spent £20 on fuel picking it up and another £40-45 getting it tested (keeping my fingers crossed it would pass) I decided it was worth spending another £20-25 and getting a new one delivered to my door.

very big bang

has anyone seen what damage these do if they go bang --- I seen the damage a bottle did to a car -- I was a welder and was asked for a quote for car repair --- it riped the boot off the car it would have killed anyone within 30 feet

Personally I would not buy a second hand out of test bottle no matter how cheap. My advice is to get it tested then sell it with the full 5 year test ... or 2.5year test whichever is appropriate.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    How often do they fail and for what reasons?

In theory - you could fill it yourself with one of these new inexpensive Chinese 300bar compressors. How wise this is on a bottle out of test is anyones guess.
    Not sure of the failure rate but they fail for internal and external corrosion; external can be obvious unless there's a fresh coat of paint on it, internal where sub standard air has been used (not dry breathing air) or a pump without an efficient water filter. Dents, lumps, bumps and gouges, and threads are also examined and the hydrostatic test (immersion in water tank and pressure displacement measured against known figures) carried out. It is assumed an ex-diving tank has more chance of getting water contaminated than a surface fittings tank and this is reflected in the more frequent test period. If the tank fails, you won't (or shouldn't) get it back; the tester is required to cut it up.

I would imagine the fail rate on airgun use only tanks is very low.
    I have not heard of one amongst local shooters in 15 years.

I took one in for a friend that I thought looked a bit rough but it passed.

I've had my Faber tank for 14 years and a few tests.

Anyone had a fail?

Quote Originally Posted by clive s 400 View Post
    has anyone seen what damage these do if they go bang --- I seen the damage a bottle did to a car -- I was a welder and was asked for a quote for car repair --- it riped the boot off the car it would have killed anyone within 30 feet
    This is something that I am usually anal about even with the PCP cylinders. We have what is nothing short of a small bomb in our hands and next to our faces. We have to treat them with respect.

A.G