Thread: Holts London Auction.

Holts London Auction.

These two Lots previously discussed on the forum did quite well at today's Holts London sale.

Lot 600 Boxed Tell 3 air pistol realised £1800 hammer £2,340 with costs

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...5844&saletype=

lot 608 Hammerli Trainer realised £750 hammer £975 with costs.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...7180&saletype=

Regards

Brian

Both really nice pieces, I quite fancied the conversion kit but thats massive money.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Thanks, Brian. I see the really nice 1930s BSA 'CS no.4' with clear etching sold for £420.

Also, the in-line Giffard pneumatic that sold for £980 hammer in the David Swan auction in 2015 finally made £1,200. So the seller won't have made any money on it after commissions/deductions, and probably will have lost a bit.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Giffard pneumatic maker?

in-line Giffard pneumatic[/URL] that sold for £980 hammer in the David Swan auction in 2015 finally made £1,200. So the seller won't have made any money on it after commissions/deductions, and probably will have lost a bit. [/QUOTE]

Danny:

A few years ago, I made a stab at guessing who actually made these petite and attractive pneumatics. Any interest in the article for your site somewhere?

LarryH

Actually, Larry. You already gave me this.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I just re-read it. Looks like it was the Belgians! Wonderful article and superb pics.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    " Clare Frere "
    Have you seen this?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Yes ! thats the one

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Have you seen this?
    No I had not !!!!
    Thanks G .
    Will read now - looks( almost ) identical to chaps - the trigger guard and stock ( fancy ornate style - no idea what they call it if indeed they do call it anything ) is near enough identical .
    It may have been this auction that I saw an image of it - makes sense cannot remember was a few years back .
    Many thanks .
    Another airgunblog to read !
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 22-09-2017 at 01:55 PM.

No I had not !!!!
    Thanks G .
    Will read now - looks( almost ) identical to chaps - the trigger guard and stock ( fancy ornate style - no idea what they call it if indeed they do call it anything ) is near enough identical .
    It may have been this auction that I saw an image of it - makes sense cannot remember was a few years back .
    Many thanks .
    Another airgunblog to read !
    See also John Atkins in Air Gunner August 2017. If you don't have a copy, I suggest you buy a digital subscription, which is fantastic value because it gives you unrestricted access to the digital archive going back to May 2009 - see my web links thread for details.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

You omitted that you are responsible for that super e-digital magazine - bashful or what ?
    It's no secret. Just because you were 'born yesterday', it doesn't mean the rest of us were.

(Edit: looking back at this, it seems a bit rude despite the 'smiley'. I meant no offence, and have no desire to puncture your admirable enthusiasm for vintage airguns. )
    Last edited by Garvin; 22-09-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Clair Freres

Searching right here for "freres" brings up this from 2008:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ghlight=freres

Member 'bazwong' had acquired one of these missing the bolt, from a UK auction I had been following. That gun may have been the one eventually in Anderson & Garland's auction (then recently at Holt's as I recall) - it's hard to tell from the photos whether the bolt is original or a well-done repro.

These are beautifully constructed, svelte little guns and it'd be nice to know if more of them are hidden away on the Continent!

Don R.