Thread: Project gun

Project gun

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/original-m...-Guns/1253730#

Could be a nice project for someone looking for something to pass the time.

I’ve got the skills to refurbish the stock, not the metalwork, but with a little help from ISP that could be good as new!

No piston rod protruding from the end of the piston, that could be the problem!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

nice project for some one

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    No piston rod protruding from the end of the piston, that could be the problem!
    yup, that'll explain the inability to cock
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    nice project for some one

Too expensive as a project, Good working ones seem to fetch between £100 and £140 but I have seen them cheaper. Parts alone could take you well above that level, never mind the time

I've a couple of O45's and a half!!

The stock for the action was sold before hand!!

The whole one in the pic was given to me by a mate, He'd tried upping the power about twenty five years ago and found it wouldn't cock so it was thrown in the garage!!

When I opened it up I found the nut and washer along with enough Copperslip to lube the whole of HMS Sheffield up!! 😨

This is the other, I got it cheap off the sales corner on here!!, The stock was an 'orrible factory custard yeller finish! Had to redo it as it made me gip a bit each time I looked at it!, It's a Jubilee model actually but the panels and badge were removed before I acquired it 😥 I made the walnut panels to fill the milled out sections.

I actually have a spare cylinder and piston too somewhere that I bought off fleabay!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I think this would make a nice quality full powered springer for not a lot of money, a Walther Terrus is over £2OO the fix i imagine will be inexpensive and i think the 45 will be better than the Terrus once its fettled, if i lived closer i would go for it.
    Last edited by buttloaves; 28-04-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Too expensive as a project, Good working ones seem to fetch between £100 and £140 but I have seen them cheaper. Parts alone could take you well above that level, never mind the time
    To expensive as a project ? It would be worth that for spare parts, break it up and your estimate of £100-£140 would be about right.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Too expensive as a project. Parts alone could take you well above that level, never mind the time
    To be honest I would say if you are buying as a 'project' time is not a consideration in the equation.

Most of us undertake projects for the pleasure of doing it, not as a business or investment opportunity.

I would have said if the rifle in question has all of its major parts present and isn't a total cosmetic dog it would make an interesting project.

I don't know what a replacement piston or if it is available separately a rod might cost, but if that was 'just around the corner' from me I would probably take a punt on it for the hell of it.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Project 45

Ironically I'm on the tail end of a refurbishment project on a jubilee 45 myself. They are very well built guns. And when set up right very accurate also. One of a number of quality German springers that dominated the hunting and target scene back in the day.
    There is no protruding central latch rod on these guns as such as the trigger bears upon the piston body not the latch rod. Trigger units are becoming scarce so that would be something to consider if something is amiss here. I reckon if a tenner was knocked off the price and certainly if twenty was taken off this would be a worthwhile project. It's not a bad one as the price stands to be honest provided everything that was there at the factory is still on the gun. An interesting feature is the piston there as the body doesn't look as if it's a factory 45 body (though some Diana pistons fit other models in their range). It's OK provided it works it's fine. Converting from the leather seal to synthetic should on paper and in most instances in reality yield some more power so spring input can be throttled back and a nice action achieved. As that's already been done there's a saving there I reckon of about forty quid between parts and labour.
    Has anyone got details of ISP so that I can ping them an email to see if they are still blacking actions during these times?
    Many thanks
    Dave

That looks like a modified Diana 34 piston body. It may be a piston from a newer 34 type model 45 bought in error. Who knows. As Dave says, not all spares are available new.