Thread: Crosman 1701P Silhouette

Crosman 1701P Silhouette

I have a Crosman 1701P and i am looking for a rear sight to fit it. I know about the one that Gmac do, but it is very expensive, is anyone aware of a more competitively priced one that will fit. I have looked at my other guns to see if one of them will fit, but none are suitable. Like the Gmac one i want windage and elevation adjustment. quite happy to buy a used one if anyone has one for sale? cheers in advance.

The reason i want an open rear sight is that I want to do 10 metre rifle shooting, but all my rifles are 12ftlbs, and for 10 metre it needs to be under 6ftlbs. So i own this pistol and thought it would be a good idea to put a stock on it and an open rear sight so i could use it to start off with. maybe later progressing to a proper rifle.
    The stock is off a 2250XL, it bolts straight on with no mods!

from memory it has a dovetail
    look at the williams wgrs 54 and add a notched element instead of the peep one
    they also do a 5d -airgun sight
    smk db4/5 sight will fit 11mm dovetails as will the cp1/2 cr600

Finally had to bite the bullet and buy an LPA MIM from gmac, very good sight, fits the gun well and does what it is supposed to do. The problem is, when fitted with a rifles stock to the 1701P, the rear sight is too close to my eye and is out of focus, so i cannot aim it very clearly! There goes my idea of getting into 10m target rifle inexpensively!!
    So I am going to look around for a dedicated 10m rifle, it will have to be a low end one, 'cos I aint rich! I would be grateful for suggestions. Meanwhile does anyone want to buy my P1701 with gmac rear sight? £300 plus postage.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    A nice recoiless Diana 65, 66 or 75 is still no slouch and within the budget of what you might get back from the Crosman.

Thanks for that, they certainly look the part, ideally I want a PCP, Looking hard at an Air Arms S200 Target rifle. within my budget new. be nice to find a pre owned one.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I have both the 65 and a S200...much as I love the S200 the trigger and weight distribution of the Diana kicks the S200's arse.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Target Rifles

Jimmy

Any rifle made as a sporting rifle, and with a "target" version will never be a patch on a pure designed match 10 mt target rifle, and that goes for classic target rifles against modern sporting rifles, if its multi purpose its not the tool for the job.

If your budget is limited and you can't afford a more modern match 10 mt rifle, I would always recommend a classic match rifle, such as an Original 66, or a 75, or a Walther LGR, or a FWB 300, or 600, as a much better choice than a S200 which was never designed as a 10 mt target rifle.

The accuracy, and particularly the trigger are a class above. And well looked after, classics are an investment, values will only go up.

That said, when normality returns, the best bet is buy nothing, join a club and use club guns, and only buy when you have tried many and can base your choice on experience.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks for that Robin, that is sound advice. I already own an S200 but at sub 12ftlbs, so it is too powerful for the 10 m shooting. However, i cannot fault it as a rifle, well balanced, easy to hold, superb trigger. That is why I was considering the S200 6ftlb. I have owned other pcp rifles too, out of them all, for me, the best one is the S200.