Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Store Co2 rifle empty or full?

Store Co2 rifle empty or full?

Hi all.
    I recently bought an SMK XS78 for my daughter to use. It was 2nd hand & the first time we changed the co2 capsules it leaked all the gas out, so I stripped it down & replaced all the seals, it now holds gas fine.
    Question is, when it's not being used is it best to empty the gas & remove the capsules or leave it gassed up? Which is better for the seals?
    Thanks.
    Neil.

Skipton on a farm on the moors with 100s of sheep
    100% leave some air in it when storing or the seals may shrink and cause it to leak when you try to fill it again
    "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, DO PENCILS MISSPELL WORDS ?"

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Cool

Our club's gunsmith / chairman says the c02 capsules are likely to seize on if you don't store your gun degassed. He's drilled a capsule open to remove it from a pistol before now. Just what I heard at the club...
    Last edited by Edtwozeronine; 23-09-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Ooops!
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Always store them empty & remove the Co2 capsules. When they are left in the pressure on the caps will leave an impression on the seal. Over time the seal will degrade & fail. A good tip is to put a drop of Pellgun oil on the end of the cap, one drop every 2nd or 3rd cap will be fine. The oil keeps the seal flexible. It's only PCP riles that benefit from being stored with a small amount of air in them.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    Our club's gunsmith / chairman says the c02 capsules are likely to seize on if you don't store your gun degassed. He's drilled a capsule open to remove it from a pistol before now. Just what I heard at the club...
    I would rather drill the capsules than re seal the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    I can confirm that in a way, but not over a couple of weeks & not depressurised, some years after out son debunked we found his old Crosman Rabbit Stopper at the back of a cupboard. The first caplet came out no problem but the second definitely seems stuck, I'm working on it as time allows, it's not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    Always store them empty & remove the Co2 capsules. When they are left in the pressure on the caps will leave an impression on the seal. Over time the seal will degrade & fail. A good tip is to put a drop of Pellgun oil on the end of the cap, one drop every 2nd or 3rd cap will be fine. The oil keeps the seal flexible. It's only PCP riles that benefit from being stored with a small amount of air in them.
    Agree totally; I have 3 of these guns in different variations and always store them with capsules removed. I also use Pellgun oil and the only time I've ever had a problem with the seals is when I used to leave the capsules in. With the Pellgun oil the seals remain flexible no matter how long I leave the capsules out. With the capsules in, over time, the capsule will weld to the seal/deform the seal and then you may have to drill the capsule AND replace the seal. It's easy to make a de-gasser for these guns too.

Do not leave a 78 ungassed, your seals will dry out. The capsule are pierced at both ends of the tube and the gas is held in the tube. This keeps the seals from going hard. There is no seal where the seal butts up to in a 78. Whereas Crosmans are fed gas direct from the capsule one shot at a time, so a totally different method of gas release.
    Take a look on UKCAF, we tend to know what we are talking about with reference to Chinese airguns.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    Do not leave a 78 ungassed, your seals will dry out. The capsule are pierced at both ends of the tube and the gas is held in the tube. This keeps the seals from going hard. There is no seal where the seal butts up to in a 78. Whereas Crosmans are fed gas direct from the capsule one shot at a time, so a totally different method of gas release.
    Take a look on UKCAF, we tend to know what we are talking about with reference to Chinese airguns.
    WELL SAID THAT MAN. A man who knows and knows he knows is a prophet FOLLOW HIM

Neil,

I store my Tau7 pistol gassed - it will do ca. seventy (70) shots per 12g CO2 caplet, and I don't usually shoot more than twenty (20) shots a week.

So, the pistol sits for up to a month or more gassed, and I have found no problems whatsoever doing this.

I do put a drop of Pellgun oil on the seal of the caplet, and I do wipe a thin film of Pellgun oil on the caplet body.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

I keep air in my King Rat and gas in my 2240, never had sealing issues...

If a gun has a cylinder to contain the co2 I leave some gas in.
    If it doesn't e.g. Umarex I empty it.

Having said that all co2 guns leak eventually and the above is not always successful.

But the manual for the SMK says leave it gassed as I recall.

Neil,

I have just shot my Tau7 after some five (5) weeks of non-use.

Functioned perfectly, and velocity spot on

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    My thoughts exactly, my 78 always has gas left in it and never leaks, all my pistols are never stored with gas or empty capsules.

Thanks guys, after reading all the comments I think I'll go for leaving it gassed up. I thought I'd read that somewhere, but I was just a bit dubious with the previous owner having left it gassed up & then the seals going the first time we changed the capsules!
    Thanks for all the advice.