Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Store Co2 rifle empty or full?

I have lost count of the second hand co2 guns I have bought that have 'held gas for ages' and when you take out the old capsules the new ones dump gas everywhere.

I give them to Baz to sort.
    Without him I would have an excellent pile of junk.

Well after reading this thread I'm still no wiser, leave or unleave all I no is my dad a few years ago left a bulb in his EB pistol for a few weeks and it developed a leak. Personally I now always remove. Right or wrong, no bloody idea

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    I have a umarex pistol that takes CO2 cartridges, if you remove a part filled cartridge does it reseal itself when you remove it or do you lose the remaining gas?
    I have only changed the cartridges when they are empty.

Chippendale (with clothes on)

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Well after reading this thread I'm still no wiser, leave or unleave all I no is my dad a few years ago left a bulb in his EB pistol for a few weeks and it developed a leak. Personally I now always remove. Right or wrong, no bloody idea
    Well I've learnt something useful - in that we all have different experiences with CO2 pistols and 78 variants; very odd, it would seem no-one is right and no-one is wrong. I guess that that's all the joy and idiosyncrasy of CO2 owning!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    I have a umarex pistol that takes CO2 cartridges, if you remove a part filled cartridge does it reseal itself when you remove it or do you lose the remaining gas?
    I have only changed the cartridges when they are empty.

Chippendale (with clothes on)
    Hi Mel on no account try to remove the 12g canister when it's partly filled as it doesn't seal... the freezing gas will cascade all over the place and may cause injury. I'm not sure what the situation is with the large 88g canisters as I haven't ever used them.
    The only exception I'd make to what I initially said is when the gas is almost expired in my Crosman Ratcatcher and it's almost empty I remove the knurled cap and I 'Dry-Fire' the remaining tiny amount of gas and that usually makes the canister pop out of the casing thus making it easier to remove.

Hope things are well with you, Mel,
    A' the Best
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    Do not leave a 78 ungassed, your seals will dry out. The capsule are pierced at both ends of the tube and the gas is held in the tube. This keeps the seals from going hard. There is no seal where the seal butts up to in a 78. Whereas Crosmans are fed gas direct from the capsule one shot at a time, so a totally different method of gas release.
    Take a look on UKCAF, we tend to know what we are talking about with reference to Chinese airguns.
    Exactly that - leave it gassed...

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    Hi Mel on no account try to remove the 12g canister when it's partly filled as it doesn't seal... the freezing gas will cascade all over the place and may cause injury. I'm not sure what the situation is with the large 88g canisters as I haven't ever used them.
    The only exception I'd make to what I initially said is when the gas is almost expired in my Crosman Ratcatcher and it's almost empty I remove the knurled cap and I 'Dry-Fire' the remaining tiny amount of gas and that usually makes the canister pop out of the casing thus making it easier to remove.

A' the Best
    Graeme
    If you can remove the cap and the capsule stays where it is then its on too tight! You only need it on enough to burst the end and sit on the seal, anything more is too much. THAT is how you end up with knackered seals.

88g are the same story, a rather expensive waste if you believe the hype.

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.

A' the Best
    Graeme
    Cheers Graeme, will do as you say regarding the capsules, I'm fine thank you, apart from a Stye on my right lower lid, but i'm treating it with medication.
    Guitar is not going good though, fat arthritic fingers don't help, but i have just found out that a neighbour teaches guitar at schools and he has offered to show me a few 'pointers' as he put it so i'm going along with that.

Some of the chords seem impossible to reach though, guess i've started too late but we will see how it goes.

Hope you are keeping OK, by the way got the CD set of Ken Sykora recordings his family have produced, contains a lovely glossy booklet and two CDs of his recordings.
    It's very good and as the three EPs I bought back in the late fifties when I was fifteen are very scratched its nice to here his playing clear without crackle and scratches, the CDs reproduction is very good and almost sound like the vinyl used to.

Cheers

Mel

A' the Best
    Graeme
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post
    If you can remove the cap and the capsule stays where it is then its on too tight! You only need it on enough to burst the end and sit on the seal, anything more is too much. THAT is how you end up with knackered seals.
    Hi Graeme, when running low on gas I usually just slacken the cap on my Ratties slightly, which lets the gas vent safely out.

And, as above, the cap shouldn't be on that tight. However, contrary to the above, as far as I was led to believe, you dry fire it once to pierce the bulb, which is what I've always done on mine, without ever a single issue.. So, cap on, just a smidge more than finger tight, dry fire once and go!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've never had a problem leaving 12g canisters in.

I've also removed partly filled ones - as long as you are careful and release slowly then you are unlikely to injure yourself. Not recommended for Crosman and similar with end caps but ok for pistols with capsules in the magazines.

The best solution is found on my QB78 Match rifle - when nearly empty you can use a key to open a valve to safely release the remaining gas which saves having to dry fire it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    Do not leave a 78 ungassed, your seals will dry out. The capsule are pierced at both ends of the tube and the gas is held in the tube. This keeps the seals from going hard. There is no seal where the seal butts up to in a 78. Whereas Crosmans are fed gas direct from the capsule one shot at a time, so a totally different method of gas release.
    Take a look on UKCAF, we tend to know what we are talking about with reference to Chinese airguns.
    Definitely leave a 78 with gas in, got 5 in various guises, all kept gassed up. As said previously, the capsules aren't pressed against seals so won't deform them, as happens with Crosman and umarex. If the seals are of the correct material, then they'll keep pliable and last for years.

Leave it gassed, the capsules do not seal against rubber so it will be fine.

I leave all of my CO2 guns gassed, maybe not for everyone but I'm a firm beleiver that excessive expansion and contraction is the reason seals fail. I have 23 CO2 guns of all ages, never had to replace a seal.

By all means remove a capsule and store a gun empty if it is empty but the damage is done when removing a capsule with some gas left in it.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich