Thread: daystate price advice

daystate price advice

Evening all,
    Today one of my customers offered me one of his rifles, he has about half a dozen pcp,s, rarely do they see the light of day so nigh on unused.
    Anyways, this one is a daystate mk4 in .22, sling swivels, leather sling, sports match mounts and a crap scope. He literally just said what would you give me for it? Totally threw me, lovely bit of wood as you'd expect, but I had no idea. I do know he paid over the odds as he bought it new from a local "dealer".
    Any thoughts on sensible offer I should make? I can't seem to find that many second hand.
    Cheers,
    J.

To use, or to sell on?

If it's for you, maybe £5-600, dependant on condition, to sell on you would need to include your own margins

Hope that helps

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Hi Mole trapper

There are two guns - the MK4"is" and the MK4 - the later is the early model with no screen - the "is" is the display screen model and the more desierable. Both guns should have a 10 shot mag, single shot stay, charger, two keys and a filling adapter.

.177 is the prefered calibre in most of these as they are more widely used for targets and indoor ranges rather than outdoor hunting due to the cost and peoples fear of the electronics - which in my experiance are nothing to be afraid of, but each to their own.

So a .22 would be worth say £30/50 less than a .177 purely on the basis more people will want the .177, and the "is" is worth around £100 "ish" more than the non display screen version.

In very good condition your looking at £650/700 for the "is" £550/600 for the non "is" if your selling - if your buying I'd be looking for £50 cheaper depending how much you want the gun - from what you have said I'd offer him £475 if it's non "is" and £575 if it is a screen model. If he is looking to sell then your doing him a bit of a favour taking it, so if you get a good gun at potentialy £50 under it's "potential" price then you both probably do alright.

Age does not play a big part in these guns - a year old one will look and work as well as a 4/5 year old one if it's been kept well, and the MK4s were some of the best Daystate rifles made and suffer no more faults than any other high quality gun, so check the usual stuff as well as the battery holding charge.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thanks for the most helpful replies, really appreciated.
    It is the non "is" version. Didn't realise this one still had electrickery, that is a bit of a put off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    Thanks for the most helpful replies, really appreciated.
    It is the non "is" version. Didn't realise this one still had electrickery, that is a bit of a put off.
    Why are you put off?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Why are you put off?
    Having had four or five daystates they all had problems from new two of which had to go back under warranty as they were not fit for purpose, the thought of a second hand all be it like new one with electronics to add to the mix just really doesn't appeal.

They're usually very reliable as long as you charge the battery once a month whether you use it or not. The problems arise if you let the battery dip to below 2 volts, this is when they won't recharge without over heating. A new battery is around £40.00.
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm, But It's The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese !!

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Having had four or five daystates they all had problems from new two of which had to go back under warranty as they were not fit for purpose, the thought of a second hand all be it like new one with electronics to add to the mix just really doesn't appeal.
    Fair enough, they are not for everyone, and if your uncomfortable with it your right to leave it - but perhaps ask him if you can borrow it for a bit to try it out?

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Buy it. It'll be funny!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    You won't be able to bodge a part on the lathe for that in the future.
    Master Debater

If you can get it for the right price give it a go as the re-sale should not be a problem if it is not for you.
    I have an early i.s. In .177 and have had it for five years with no issues. It may need a service soon and that is expensive. For me the shot count, trigger and accuracy are excellent.

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Buy it. It'll be funny!
    I'll bring my biggest battery charger and we can have a proper laugh...

Buy it

Hi .buy it you will not regret it . I have just sold my mk4 177cal is.back to the man I bought it off and all ready regret it .its one of the best guns I have ever shot .you cannot go far wrong with a Daystate. I have tryI'd most of them but with me it all about accuracy. At the moment I have a wolverine 177cal wich is ultra accurate with boxed Crossland premier and a air ranger 177 call don't no how accurate it is as not got around to trying it .hope this helps bob.
    Last edited by fife; 25-09-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Not sure why people are put off by the electronics. The trigger take some getting used to as it's really just a switch.

Daystate had a stand at the Phoenix show a few years back with one of these Mk4 mechanisms dry firing under a cascade of water to prove they're waterproof.

Never had an issue with mine, it's worked flawlessly every time I've used it.... Except that one time I forgot to Recharge the battery