Thread: BSA Superstar underlever catch removal

BSA Superstar underlever catch removal

I have a Superstar and need to remove the spring loaded underlever catch. I can see a pin - which looks like it should come out, but there is no way of getting to the other side to knock it out? The parts diagram says its a pin, I thought it might have been a small hex head but evidently not. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    I have a Superstar and need to remove the spring loaded underlever catch. I can see a pin - which looks like it should come out, but there is no way of getting to the other side to knock it out? The parts diagram says its a pin, I thought it might have been a small hex head but evidently not. Any ideas?
    might be a roll pin. i have used a tap to put threads in one before but it was way bigger than the one your trying to remove plus it wrecked the tap.

im guessing the one you want to remove is quite small?

Oh yes its very small

you can hydraulic them out . put grease in the bottom of the hole and use a dowel that is almost the same diameter as the inside diameter of the pin . then tap the dowel in and the pressure of the grease forces the pin out.

never tried it but have seen it done .

how successful on your size of pin ? not sure
    Last edited by bighit; 01-10-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Interesting thought that

Hi p.j.......

The pin simply taps out from the underside of the lever with a 1/16" pin punch or for the europhiles a 1.5mm. The small hole may not be noticed due to oil, grease or dirt covering it.

Did you attend the Welsh Air Arm auction in Cardiff yesterday? There was a Superstar in the lots - it was in the catalogue as a Goldstar, but, had a RH serial number in the description.

Several years ago, I picked up a 0.177 Superstar from them - not in too bad a condition. The only problem was a stuck plunger catch due to previous abuse of slamming the under-lever closed against the fixed barrel latch pin. This dented the tube area to pinch in on the plastic plunger making it stick in. It is a wonder it did not break the plastic plunger! The securing pin was easy to remove, but the plunger was very difficult - I had to use a fine ground lathe boring tool to scrape away the damaged metal very carefully form the plunger catch hole - it took ages due to minute access available. Polished score marks on the plunger and the tube internal. Now the tube is refinished, she slides in and out easily with a bit of lubrication as the actress said to the bishop.....Carefully latch the underlever after cocking by depressing the plunger firstly and there will be no problem in future.

Those Superstars...."are are lovely tell ew mam..." As you and I know - many thanks for your great deals, they are well looked after....

All the best to you and all who delve in the those springers.....
    Last edited by SRV1; 02-10-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added a small comment...

Trust you are well. My catch sounds similar to yours, Nick has sent me some good photos to explain all.

Still alive p.j. thank you - hope you are well too....

Hopefully you get it sorted now...!