Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titan XS no7 spring for a HW95?

Titan XS no7 spring for a HW95?

I am going to be buying another HW95 in .22 from Germany soon and just looking into which spring to buy to bring it up to around 10-11ft/lb. I know the Titan XS no8 is supposed to be for the HW95, but I believe these springs usually need shortening. Looking at the spring chart for the Titan the no7 looks to be the same wire size and has the same ID and OD, its just a bit shorter. Would it be possible to use the No7 and not have the hassle of shortening the spring, or is it too short? I could always use delrin washers to adjust the preload if needs be.

I might also be adding a Tinbum short stroke spacer to the piston if that makes any difference.

Size of the springs according to the chart are:

No7 - 30 coils - 255mm length - 3.3mm thickness - 13.8mm ID - 20mm OD
    No8 - 34 coils - 295mm length - 3.3mm thickness - 13.8mm ID - 20mm OD

Thanks

It may/may not help but a couple I've measured give No 7 42 lb/inch rate and No 8 40 lb/inch
    The No 1 is larger OD but sits between the other two, at 275 mm and 40 lb/inch rate, as does the No 9 but softer at 35 lb/inch which could be interesting.
    What bore/stroke is the 95??

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    What bore/stroke is the 95??
    26/85
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I'd have thought someone would have known the answer to this with all the shed tuners on here..

I guess I also need to measure the original spring guide to choose the best fitting ID spring. On my other HW95 I bought a WW kit that was utter garbage and I ended up sanding down the original spring guide to fit the Titan spring that came with the kit. So maybe one of the springs with a slightly larger ID would be ideal.

You should prob start by getting the correct spring then get guides sized to that really which is what welsh willy kits are cant understand whats garbage about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I'd have thought someone would have known the answer to this with all the shed tuners on here..

I guess I also need to measure the original spring guide to choose the best fitting ID spring. On my other HW95 I bought a WW kit that was utter garbage and I ended up sanding down the original spring guide to fit the Titan spring that came with the kit. So maybe one of the springs with a slightly larger ID would be ideal.
    It would appear that it is just a shorter version, but whether it will be right is another matter.

I have two HW80's in .22. Outwardly they appear the same, internally they have both been treated the same and have new seals along with 15mm short stroke extensions and they both produce roughly 11-11.2 fpe. They both have shortened genuine Hw export springs, one with four coils removed, the other with six?!

Every single gun is different, that's why some kits are over powered, some under. I beleive starting with a spring known to need shortening is your best bet. Nothing ruins a gun like dead preload added to a weak spring! Start high and slowly reduce your spring until you get the power you want.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas9784 View Post
    You should prob start by getting the correct spring then get guides sized to that really which is what welsh willy kits are cant understand whats garbage about that.
    The fact the gun twanged the same as it did originally is what was garbage about it. Plus the spring ends were just left with grinding marks. Overall it was a big disappointment for £60 and left me wishing i'd have added the extra £20 for a Vmach kit. Even after sending the guide back for a replacement at my cost I just got another loose fitting guide that still twanged.

https://imgur.com/umykLS6
    https://imgur.com/E1ZnbtZ
    https://imgur.com/7wS7mp7

So this time I am planning on just buying the Titan spring and sanding the original guide again as it worked well last time.

Every single gun is different, that's why some kits are over powered, some under. I beleive starting with a spring known to need shortening is your best bet. Nothing ruins a gun like dead preload added to a weak spring! Start high and slowly reduce your spring until you get the power you want.
    That makes sense, i'll go for the No8 then to be on the safe side. Thanks.

Ah right, Ive had 2 kits and theve been really good, tight fitting guides etc and both worked really well.

When I first got my 95 (.20) it was a very smooth shooter but I tended to lose sight of the target through the scope as it jumped when firing. I opened the transfer port to 3.7 mm if I recall and it improved immensely. As it went over power at that stage I had to cut a couple of coils off the original spring to bring it down which made cocking easy and improved its steadiness even more on firing.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by thomas9784 View Post
    Ah right, Ive had 2 kits and theve been really good, tight fitting guides etc and both worked really well.
    Yeah I think I must have just been unlucky twice as all i ever see are great reviews for the kits online. There was a few weeks wait when I ordered so maybe they had to rush them out. It was a waste of £60 for me as I only ended up using the spring and top hat.

When I first got my 95 (.20) it was a very smooth shooter but I tended to lose sight of the target through the scope as it jumped when firing. I opened the transfer port to 3.7 mm if I recall and it improved immensely. As it went over power at that stage I had to cut a couple of coils off the original spring to bring it down which made cocking easy and improved its steadiness even more on firing.

Baz
    My other HW95 is a .177 and is a bit lively, so I went for a .22 this time. Also going to maybe add a short stroke extension, but I think opening the TP is a little advanced for me.

Hi Mark, if it were me, and in no order of preference:-

1) V-Mach. If you didn't want to run to a full kit, Steve is quite happy to supply a spring and fitted guide / top hat. Most excellent. Steve had been working shorter hours in recent times, not sure if he's back up to full speed yet?

2) Our very own Tinbum can supply kits in various stages using genuine HW springs, which are excellent. So you could have a 12ft.lbs spec spring with the ends correctiy polished and fitted and ask him to supply the guide and top hat to match, or maybe send him the standard spring guide (which are excellent and sturdy), ask him to mate it to the best fitting spring he has and a top hat.

3) Sandwell Field Sports. Although I don't know for sure, I think Tony has his own springs made to his specifications to match the standard HW guide. Mated, again, to one of his top hats resulting in a very refined firing cycle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks Tony, I think i'm going to have a go myself, but will be trying the short stroke extension from Tinbum. I already have a tophat and hopefully I can sand down the original guide to be a snug fit on the new Titan spring. So it'll just cost me £18 for the spring if it all works out. I actually enjoy tinkering, so the polishing is no problem and quite therapeutic. I have all the right greases, including some expensive Rocol stuff for the piston skirt.

I'll have to add the cost of a cheapo blow torch as well if i have to shorten the spring, but tbh i could do with one anyway for a few diy jobs that need doing and it'll be useful for future spring replacements.

Nothing wrong with a good tinker, Mark; many of us on here do.

However, spring-wise, having witnessed how nicely they shoot, I'd still be tempted to try either the SFS, OE or V-Mach spring.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nothing wrong with a good tinker, Mark; many of us on here do.

However, spring-wise, having witnessed how nicely they shoot, I'd still be tempted to try either the SFS, OE or V-Mach spring.

What Tony is trying so hard to tip-toe around here is:

Titan are the Ox of the new millenia.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    What Tony is trying so hard to tip-toe around here is:

Titan are the Ox of the new millenia.
    Born in days gone by , when men were men and sheep were nervous.
    No need for such springs for UK legal sub 12 air rifles
    B.A.S.C. member