Thread: S400 Tuning , what to do and who to do it .

S400 Tuning , what to do and who to do it .

Obviously a reg to get more consistency and more shots . what else is good and of course who to do it ( not me ) ??? HOLLY
    " BE YOURSELF , EVERYBODY ELSE IS TAKEN "

Re

I didn't bother with a reg,if you want more shots fit a face tube,n polish the hammer rail with the old autosol n you've got a good one free up n polish the trigger n your there there perfect

As above.
    I wouldn't bother with a reg.
    Hammer rail polish.
    FAC tube if you fancy.
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Be prepared to make some adjustments as a hammer rail polish can bring a power increase.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

The S400/410 do not need much doing to them . The trigger sears might need a touch of light polishing and so do the pellet probe and the hammer mechanism, neither of which has any effect on shot count. I do have a regulator for mine but I have taken it out. Just fill to 165 and stop at 110 bar as the gun is remarkably consistent within that range. Save your money.

A.G

s400 tune

All the above answers will get the most out of your S400. I have one as well, and all I did was strip the gun, polish any moving parts, correct lube and in the right place, most importantly, find your sweet spot. Every gun will differ slightly, mine is from 155 bar down to 120 bar I get 44 stupidly consistent shots for a non regulated gun. I should say I have the S400 classic with the longer air chamber. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

I have shimmed the trigger blade, now a MPR one on mine, with small plastic home made washers so there is less metal contact. plus the above.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Chrono it from 180bar to the point it falls away. Select the sweet spot where you get the most consistent figures. Charge gun to the upper end of the sweet spot. Shoot targets till the lower end. If all hit where you want (hunting or target) then do nothing. 6 months later check power over chrono. If low, adjust up. 6 months later clean hammer rail. Adjust down to original power.
    That should do it until something fails. Then easy to fix.
    I hunt, not target shoot , and my S410k has served me great on this basis from new for over 12 years and over a 1000 rabbits.
    Depends what you want from it, but mine shot like this from the box.
    Jim
    AA S410k .177; AA S410 Extra FAC .22; AA S310. 22
    Daystate Airwolf FAC .22, mtc viper Pro

This

This is a carbine , I need 50 consistent shots . Now will I get that without a reg I wonder . Holly

Quote Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
    This is a carbine , I need 50 consistent shots . Now will I get that without a reg I wonder . Holly
    From a full charge put it over the Chrono and record the MV for each shot, allow 12 ft/s variance and note the cylinder pressure every 5 shots. You can plot the result of MV against pressure. What you will find is that from 170 bar down to 115bar you get that 12 ft/s spread which for all intents and purposes can be called consistent. Believe you me you won't get much more with a REG unless you alter the TP, and change the hammer/spring, etc. Your gun and your money so make the decision as you wish.

A.G

I get 48 consistent shots with my 400 carbine in .177. If yours is in .22, you will get more

Attention ?

I could not have been paying attention cos it turns out to be a classic . so full size cylinder . will run a full charge over the chrono and see what is what .??? HOLLY

I think regged is better, more shots perfill and all consistant, never need to think about sweet spots or curves etc just pick it up and shoot it. A lane reg is so cheap and the benefits IMO are awesome for the outlay. Also polish as mentioned and if you can lighten hammer, I took mine down to 30g and ran a lighter HS, then got over 140 shots from the classic and around 1FPS average over a ten shot string

Should never of sold that 400

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Holly, if it hasn't already been said, have you thought of talking to Mick Tromans? He of GML fame?

Carbine barrel, Std cylinder, hammer polish etc. Then drop it into a Craftsman Vit bullpup stock, 'cos you won't shoot a proper one!

Last edited by JerryD; 27-09-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Jerry

g.l.w is offline The north west's very own Hilda Ogden.
    Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    I think regged is better, more shots perfill and all consistant, never need to think about sweet spots or curves etc just pick it up and shoot it. A lane reg is so cheap and the benefits IMO are awesome for the outlay. Also polish as mentioned and if you can lighten hammer, I took mine down to 30g and ran a lighter HS, then got over 140 shots from the classic and around 1FPS average over a ten shot string

Should never of sold that 400

Chris
    ^^^^^ This for me to..
    Air Arms HFT 500.... Vortex Viper 2.5-10x32