Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Hw 77s

Early Hw 77s

What is it about early 1980,s Hw 77s in .177? I find any advertised anywhere.

About 2 months ago I bought a 1987 HW 77 from a friend, had it tuned and it shoots really well. It's in .22. Shortly afterwards I saw another .22 model in my local

gunshop with a long barrel like my first one and with a Venom looking silencer which made it look about 6 feet long . I had to have it and so managed to swap for it

my nasty, modern HW77k, in .22 again, with its horrible stock. Then of course I wanted a early 1980's, full length HW77 in .177. Do you think I could find one? Not

a dicky bird anywhere. Were they all grabbed by the field target boys in the early 80's? Are they now languishing in cupboards or attics somewhere? where are

they all?

I managed finally to be very lucky and find a 1987 HW77k in .177 which I absolutely love and which shoots really great-- but where are all the long ones?

I should be interested to know how many of you have an early 1980's full length HW 77 in .177, or are they an extinct species.

Cheers, Lafayette.

Thumbs up

I have a 1983 HW77, I bought it off sales on here some years ago!, I was told that they didn't actually start importing them here until 1984 so how this got here before i've no idea!!

The 100375 serial puts it at 1983, This was confirmed by Weihrauch too as '83

It's been well looked after too

HW77

EDIT- Ooops!! Missed the .177 bit! Mine's a .22 cal

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

In the 80s Men were Men,
    Hence .177 thin on ground.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    In the 80s Men were Men,
    Hence .177 thin on ground.
    Lol. Just been mentioning my HW77 .22 on a thread in 'General Airgunning' funnily enough, and yep spot on, back then, as a rule of thumb, the .22 was King. Now however, with better consistency of performance so achievable, coupled with the vastly superior quality of pellets now available, sub 12ft.lb, I am firmly in the .177 is best camp (although I still thoroughly enjoy plinking with my period 'Man's Calibre' air rifles, too. ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I'd hazard a guess that the 77 was the first 12ft/lbs level rifle that sold as well in the UK in .177" as .22". Because it caught fire as an FT gun and ruled the roost for the last half of the 80s.

I'd also hazard a guess that a lot are in the hands of collector-users like me. I have three, all .177", one full length, two K, all in various states of fanciness. Once you get one (and you could pick them up cheapish 20 or more years ago, when the owners were offloading them to buy PCPs), you get a bit reluctant to let them go.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I'd hazard a guess that the 77 was the first 12ft/lbs level rifle that sold as well in the UK in .177" as .22". Because it caught fire as an FT gun and ruled the roost for the last half of the 80s.

I'd also hazard a guess that a lot are in the hands of collector-users like me. I have three, all .177", one full length, two K, all in various states of fanciness. Once you get one (and you could pick them up cheapish 20 or more years ago, when the owners were offloading them to buy PCPs), you get a bit reluctant to let them go.
    ^^^^^ agree 100% with all as has been said ^^^^^

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I have a 1983 HW77, I bought it off sales on here some years ago!, I was told that they didn't actually start importing them here until 1984 so how this got here before i've no idea!!

The 100375 serial puts it at 1983, This was confirmed by Weihrauch too as '83

It's been well looked after too

HW77

EDIT- Ooops!! Missed the .177 bit! Mine's a .22 cal

John
    That looks fantastic John, did you finish the stock?

Cheers

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post

^^^^^ and again, agree 100% with all as has been said ^^^^^

Thanks for all your replies, Folks. It looks as though they didn't produce as many 77s in .177 in the early 1980s, and those they did were snapped up by collectors.
    Still, at least I've got my lervely HW 77k in the smaller calibre, and the old fashioned stock looks much better than the modern jobs.

Regards. Lafayette.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post

Cheers

Mel

Hi Mel

Nope, That's how it came to me!, It was spotless when I bought it!

I bought it from a gent on here, It was his fathers gun, After his father passed away they weren't his cup of tea so he offered around six guns on here, From memory there was an FWB127, A BSA Airsporter S and a few more guns, This was the last to go for some reason

Best was that he was only five min's from me!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Mel

Nope, That's how it came to me!, It was spotless when I bought it!

I bought it from a gent on here, It was his fathers gun, After his father passed away they weren't his cup of tea so he offered around six guns on here, From memory there was an FWB127, A BSA Airsporter S and a few more guns, This was the last to go for some reason

Best was that he was only five min's from me!!

John
    A great result then John, looks fantastic.

Funny how the 77 looks better with the full length barrel.

And in the old style stock.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Hey. I read your original post not too long after you put it up. A little while later I was looking ar the list on BAR and they have a mk1 advertised and looks to me like a full length one. ( I could be wrong..I almost always have been in 35 years according to she who must be obeyed.) 😊

Thanks for this Pete. I rang BAR last week and that particular 77 had already been sold.

so glad you put this post up , prompted me to get mine out - full length 1.77 ser(1002116) .been propped up in the corner for ages in a gun bag part opened and think where i dry washing on the rads in there caused a bit of surface rust on the blueing!! just oiled it but it has caused some damage. interesting with the date - i bought mine i think in february 1984 and remember the following march us miners went on strike for a twelve month and i bought it on tick ....