Thread: Crossman premier 7.9's

Crossman premier 7.9's

I've just dug out some boxed 2008 prems (not sure if that vintage were still considered good)
    I have tried them in my hw80 and early results appear promising. They are a very tight fit.

Two questions,

A, does anybody else have good results with prems in a HW80?

B, does anybody bother seating pellets with a thingmajig? I remember back in the day thingamajigs being popular amongst anoraks.

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    I've just dug out some boxed 2008 prems (not sure if that vintage were still considered good)
    I have tried them in my hw80 and early results appear promising. They are a very tight fit.

Two questions,

A, does anybody else have good results with prems in a HW80?

B, does anybody bother seating pellets with a thingmajig? I remember back in the day thingamajigs being popular amongst anoraks.

A. Dunno. Never owned an 80. More widely, I think Prems were at their very best in the 90s, rather than 2008.

B. Only on break barrels with an angled breech. Or very tight breeches. My thingamajig usually being a genetic biro. Also works as a loading tool for Umarex CO2 pistol magazines.

I couldn't be sure of the performance of the Premiers specifically in the '80.

But, the lovely Joffy gave me a box of 7.9s a couple of years ago. None of his guns liked them. I took one of my 95s to the indoor range for a spot of pellet testing. This rifle shoots a variety of pellets very well. However, on this day, the Premiers bested Superdomes, AAF Diablos and three varieties of Exacts (as in 8.4s in two stated sizes and some of the 7.9s).

On a subsequent visit, however, I also took along some FTTs and they were even better than the baby Prems. The FTTs are my "go to" pellets for this rifle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

In my experience, boxed 7.9 grain Premier were top performers in the '80s-'90s, but not so hot after that...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    In my experience, boxed 7.9 grain Premier were top performers in the '80s-'90s, but not so hot after that...
    Thanks, I thought that was the case.

Although i value the opinions and experience of others, especially on here, when it comes to pellets its between me, my gun and the pellets. Pellet testing can become expensive but there's no alternative.
    For what its worth, i think the best Premiers were made in the period already mentioned but i still rate the modern ones in several Diana's i own. I found this out unexpectedly, when a local shop was very low on RWS/H&N and I took a punt on the Premiers.
    Seating tools: as already mentioned, these are handy for angled breech faces and my early days of Original 45 ownership involved Biros. But not now, strangely. My thumb may have morphed into a seating tool.
    Last edited by Drew451; 28-09-2017 at 09:13 PM.