Thread: Change of stock giving strange results

Change of stock giving strange results

i tried my 22mm skirtless piston tx with a new stock i went from a mk2 stock with cheek riser fitted to a cs1000
    All my aim points were well off.

I messaged a fellow shooter he explained Inletting my be different or action sitting deeper or angles possible front brachet ect.

I was just so surprised by how much things changed

Rifle is doing 10.4fpe with 8.44 aa diablo fields
    Scope is a falcon menace 4-14x44 ffp b20 ret so i cant change mag to alter aim points.

Old ones
    8 2.5
    10 1
    12 .5
    14 .5
    16 .5
    18 to 34 crosshair
    36 .5
    38 .5
    40 .75
    45 1

New ones
    8 3.5
    10 2
    12 1.5
    14 1
    16 1
    18 .5
    20 to 32 crosshair
    34 .5
    36 .5
    38 .75
    40 1
    45 1.5

Can anyone explain what's going please

It's a springer. Even where you place your hand and how tightly you grip the stock can alter an aim point. A different stock has a different mass, a different centre of gravity, and affects recoil differently - and recoil on a springer starts the moment you pull the trigger, moving the barrel's point of aim before the pellet even has the slightest idea that it will soon be going places.

All to be expected.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by valboskie View Post
    i tried my 22mm skirtless piston tx with a new stock i went from a mk2 stock with cheek riser fitted to a cs1000
    All my aim points were well off.

I messaged a fellow shooter he explained Inletting my be different or action sitting deeper or angles possible front brachet ect.

I was just so surprised by how much things changed

Rifle is doing 10.4fpe with 8.44 aa diablo fields
    Scope is a falcon menace 4-14x44 ffp b20 ret so i cant change mag to alter aim points.

Old ones
    8 2.5
    10 1
    12 .5
    14 .5
    16 .5
    18 to 34 crosshair
    36 .5
    38 .5
    40 .75
    45 1

New ones
    8 3.5
    10 2
    12 1.5
    14 1
    16 1
    18 .5
    20 to 32 crosshair
    34 .5
    36 .5
    38 .75
    40 1
    45 1.5

Can anyone explain what's going please
    did you change the scope mount height?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    did you change the scope mount height?
    No just took action from one stock and put in the other

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Springers and stocks are a bloody nightmare: funnily enough they seem to do best in the bog-standard factory stocks.

I got a hugezero shift when I went to a Warren Edwards stock (HW97), and only got it under control when I torqued the stock screws up to a pre-set value and threadlocked them. I also had to shim the back of the stock to ensure the action was solidly mounted and had no play behind it: onu 50thou, but enough to make a difference.

Persevere, torque the screws to a set value and re-zero. You'll get there......

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    It's a springer. Even where you place your hand and how tightly you grip the stock can alter an aim point. A different stock has a different mass, a different centre of gravity, and affects recoil differently - and recoil on a springer starts the moment you pull the trigger, moving the barrel's point of aim before the pellet even has the slightest idea that it will soon be going places.

All to be expected.
    What he said .

All to do with how the gun and your body react as a unit immediately after the trigger is pulled.

I'm convinced if you so much as look as some springers the wrong way they take the huff and the poi varies. All part of the fun.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by valboskie View Post
    No just took action from one stock and put in the other
    In which case unless the cheek rest is a mm perfect match in relation to the scope height you'll be looking through at a fractionally different angle or to get the same angle/sight picture you'll be forcing your head to fit the space.

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post

All to be expected.
    Yep, would agree with the above.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Change-of-stock-giving-strange-results

G'day,

I was sitting on the porch last evening blasting away with my .177 Anschutz 335 with a little Bugbuster scope and getting about a 3/4 - 7/8" groups at 24+ yards. There's nothing special about that level of accuracy, but it occurred to me I had never checked the tension on any mounting screws on the rifle; it's untuned. Using my torque wrench I tightened the fore stock screws to 2.5 ft. pds and the rear screws at the trigger to 3.5. Instantly 10 pellets grouped at 1/2" about 1" higher than before.

As more knowledgeable people have said above, spring rifles are touchy little beasts.

Jim

via Ballarat
    Australia

Thanks for all the replies some great info and ideas .
    I was playing around with the cheek riser to get a good sight picture and be comfortable.
    I was trying to shoulder the rifle with my eyes shut get comfy then open them and see if i had a good sight picture

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    What he said .

All to do with how the gun and your body react as a unit immediately after the trigger is pulled.

I'm convinced if you so much as look as some springers the wrong way they take the huff and the poi varies. All part of the fun.
    This^