Thread: Diana/Original model 50 (m) what are they like?

Diana/Original model 50 (m) what are they like?

Have an opportunity to buy a 50m ivgc.
    Looks like this one:
    https://www.google.nl/search?q=diana...v_hBCuZnFRVNM:

but seems to have a tunnel for front sight instead of the ramp and has dark stained stock

How do they shoot recoil wise? Are they accurate?
    Any known problems to look out for?
    Would be used for informal target work.
    ATB,
    yana

for what it's worth yana,i would buy it if it's a good price.there seems to be quite a variation in the fittings on these and also stock finish.i have an original 27 with a very dark stock probably from around the late 50s early 60s.the foresight on the one pictured is the rotational element type but i have seen some with the tunnel variation.i am no expert on these but think they look great;in fact i have been looking for a mod 50b for a while. ATB

My experience is with slightly newer 50's but my understanding is that the early 50's shoot similarly but display better quality with more cast parts as opposed to stampings.
    I have always found the 50's shoot very nicely with mild, maneageable recoil and excellent accuracy. Neither of mine are hold sensitive and i use them for informal target shooting at 10m, mostly. They seem to like a wide range of pellets but various RWS wadcutters especially .
    Like any tap loader, tap seal can can be probablematic with wear but the 50 isnt especially prone to it. If the tap still has its usual, positive action and doesnt worry a small piece of tissue of some powder placed over it during a test fire it should be fine.

I have a 1970s version. Not by a long way as finely finished as the earlier ones (which are things of mild beauty - check out the underlever). Shoots fine. Bit twangy, but probably needs a service. On a par with an early Airsporter, but bulkier and heavier to handle. On the other hand, it feels slightly better made (though not at Webley MkIII levels).

No taploader will ever give ultimate accuracy. But they aren't bad.

It is one of the iconic guns from the period when airguns were still made - by some - to traditional pre-war standards of hand work. Why would you not want it? Even if it will only group into 15-25mm at 25M, whereas other more modern guns will group into 5mm, it is a lovely thing to own and use.

By way of comparison, my early Diana 35 is a joy to admire (great wood, nice blueing, full metal sights) and to use. My 70s one shoots just as well, and has a better front sight but that isn't the point: it is much cheapened, admittedly in areas that don't affect performance, but it is just not as nice.

In summary: a classic 50 should put a smile on your face. Buy the thing.

I have been lucky with 50's so far. Currently, I have a .22 which gives all of the accuracy of a good modern springer and a .177 which is very special indeed and can trade punches with an Original 66. Bought from a 10m shooter on here, its still wearing a Diopter 60 and has been magnificently fettled by its previous owner. Im very lucky to have it.
    I also have a 50T01 which is somwehat behind both but can comfortably outshoot my Mk2 Airsporter. Which isnt hard to do, admittedly.

Tnx all for replying. Decided to buy (a second) Webley Osprey Supertarget instead
    I know for sure these are to my liking whereas I suspect the Diana's balance/LOP to be too long for me
    ATB,
    yana