Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw80 MK1 - what to look out for

Hw80 MK1 - what to look out for

Work colleague may call me in to look over a 2nd hand hw80 with him later, guy selling claims it's a MK1. For starters, what's the difference between MK1, MK2 etc? And are there any common faults or problem areas to particularly look out for?

Thanks in advance

Is it the one on free adds ? if so that's not a MK1 stock

Yeah, the one in Manchester with sling and "period tasco scope". What u reckon to it?

Quote Originally Posted by svendogg View Post
    Yeah, the one in Manchester with sling and "period tasco scope". What u reckon to it?
    I will have another look mate. The mk1 stock had an angular forend.

Just googled it again, the stock looks the same as the current model. Bit of Billy BS about the age?

Just googled it again, the stock looks the same as the current model. Bit of Billy BS about the age?
    It could still be a MK1 but in a later stock. Will pm you.

Forgot to ask, how do I identify a mk 1 action?

Forgot to ask, how do I identify a mk 1 action?
    Two instead of three scope arrestor holes in end block; front stock screws turn into upright luggs welded onto cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundshot View Post
    Two instead of three scope arrestor holes in end block; front stock screws turn into upright luggs welded onto cylinder.
    Is that beautiful mk1 still serving you well Ted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Is that beautiful mk1 still serving you well Ted ?
    Indeed she is Dave, cheers. Out shoots everything else I've got mate. Became a bit unpleasant to shoot after a thousand pellets, as my original moly re-lube dispersed, so I made a piston sleeve from a Brut deodorant can, then later Tinbum'd her (not short stroked). Should've measured the spring first though as too small ID for standard kit. Turned it down myself 1mm to snug fit. Now got a super Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40AO on her.

And are there any common faults or problem areas to particularly look out for?

Thanks in advance
    The '80 is pretty much bomb proof, leaving you to just check for undue neglect and bodgery. Breech area could show wear if not greased or if some numpty has left the breech shims out if he / she couldn't be bothered to re-fit them. Check for all the usuals, bent barrel, cracked / bodged stock etc., as, no matter how tough this gun is, even the mighty '80 will succumb to uncaring owner mis-use. Especially if buying an earlier one which may have had umpteen owners and "skilled" tuning efforts.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Probably not exclusive to the 80 , but the only one i ever saw had a bent (upwards ) barrel .

Maybe worth checking the port hole area, Some like a to drill them, To much in some cases.

Good point.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

On a Mk1 box of bits I got as a project rifle, I had the following interesting modifications:

*Transfer port drilled out to 5mm (was this the original "power without powder" mod'?)
    *Humungous square section spring fitted

The spring caused a few problems:

The piston rod cut out had rounded out after the over loading, which resulted in the premature release of the piston during cocking. This resulted in a suspected broken wrist (mine) and the snapping of the stock in my hands (I was actually holding the barrel at the time). The barrel also bent skywards. I replaced the piston, repaired the stock, resleeved the transfer port to 3.2mm, straightened the barrel and replaced the spring and had a sweet shooting rifle - it turned into a labour of love

The trouble with HW80's is that people loved cramming Ox springs into them and getting 24fpe, so just be aware of the problems it can cause .