Thread: Diana 35 Commemorative

Diana 35 Commemorative

Morning all,
    Took delivery of the above gun from the fatherland yesterday and I must say what a cracking little gun. Well not so little actually as it appears to be similar sized to the 45s that I have.
    Stock is fairly plain with nicely pressed checkering, the stock does not extend past and cover the breech jaws. Its nicely shaped but definitely has that retro look about it.
    I'm going to compare the bluing finish to other Diana's I've taken delivery of recent times and I have to say.the finish is superb. I've put it over the chronograph and its positively strangled by the fatherland power.limit at just under 5.5ft llbs. I'm not going to strip it anytime soon to do anything about that but going by the barrel position in the cocked position the stroke seems fairly.long (again I'm going to try comparing it to the 45 and 34 in a bit). My instinct is that the gun will comfortably achieve 10ft llbs.
    Does anyone know much as to what the gun is commemorating and more importantly what the action is based on? I don't have an.old 35 to do comparisons. Is this a 35 in name only and shares nothing with the old 35? It benefits from the modern T06 trigger and I think it seems a match for similar guns like the HW99.Though I'm not sure if it is intended to keep this gun within the current Diana line up as I would guess they have other similar current models such as 31, 240,280 etc.
    Cheers
    Dave

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The 35 was their first full-power man-size break-barrel. The 45 was their first American-size magnum.

Diana like issuing commemorative runs of rifles, it sells more units.

If I wanted to commemorate the 35 I would find a secondhand Original Diana 35B and have it refinished by RichardH and have the action tuned, replacing the leather washer with a parachute style and get the TP resized. Three bearing trigger, lovely open sights, light and handy.

They don't make 'em like that any more!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The 35 was their first full-power man-size break-barrel. The 45 was their first American-size magnum.

Diana like issuing commemorative runs of rifles, it sells more units.

If I wanted to commemorate the 35 I would find a secondhand Original Diana 35B and have it refinished by RichardH and have the action tuned, replacing the leather washer with a parachute style and get the TP resized. Three bearing trigger, lovely open sights, light and handy.

They don't make 'em like that any more!
    I see where you are coming from and I've dithered over buying an older model 35 for some time, holding out for a pristine S model for example. But this one came up and whilst I don't think it shares all the attributes of the older model it came at the right price at the right time. If anything its a shame the exchange rate wasn't better as it would have been.an even bigger bargain.
    Yes Diana are not backwards in.coming forward on.marketing ploys but are not alone in this respect- there's quite a few at it these days.
    Its a nice rifle though. A modern take on an old classic.
    Dave

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I see where you are coming from and I've dithered over buying an older model 35 for some time, holding out for a pristine S model for example. But this one came up and whilst I don't think it shares all the attributes of the older model it came at the right price at the right time. If anything its a shame the exchange rate wasn't better as it would have been.an even bigger bargain.
    Yes Diana are not backwards in.coming forward on.marketing ploys but are not alone in this respect- there's quite a few at it these days.
    Its a nice rifle though. A modern take on an old classic.
    Dave
    If you ever have to strip it you will be very happy you bought the modern one, as the ball-bearing trigger is fiddly and messy to deal with .... Dianas are nice rifles but usually a little bit too expensive, so you got a bargain.

Nice one, Dave. Can't be too many examples of the new 35C over here, if any at all. It looks to me like old Diana 36 and i think the point of the gun is ti revert to a more classic look.
    I wonder if its based on the 280? That would be my guess but what it commemorates Im not sure. The description on the German sites doesnt fully explain.
    There will be plenty of opportunities for picking up older 35's (if you fancy one) but not many for accquiring a new one. So in my opinion it is a good buy and should be a good gun, I'll wager.
    Can you put a few photos up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    If you ever have to strip it you will be very happy you bought the modern one, as the ball-bearing trigger is fiddly and messy to deal with .... Dianas are nice rifles but usually a little bit too expensive, so you got a bargain.
    Yes I've had the pleasure of the three ball trigger on an.old 50. Definitely have to be in the zone for them!
    Yes this one was a good buy. As I've said elsewhere as well as being cheaper than.elsewhere the website reduced many lines by a further 3% the weekend I ordered it. Plus I had it to the front door in.under a week.
    A good buying experience and one that has resulted in a cracking rifle. I'm happy
    Dave

[QUOTE=Drew451;7348609]Nice one, Dave. Can't be too many examples of the new 35C over here, if any at all. It looks to me like old Diana 36 and i think the point of the gun is ti revert to a more classic look.
    I wonder if its based on the 280? That would be my guess but what it commemorates Im not sure. The description on the German sites doesnt fully explain.
    There will be plenty of opportunities for picking up older 35's (if you fancy one) but not many for accquiring a new one. So in my opinion it is a good buy and should be a good gun, I'll wager.
    Can you put a few photos up?[/QUOTE

I'm not entirely sure that this gun is ever destined for general sale over here. If its same as the older 35 jubilee I seem to recall someone saying these were meant for the home market only. So you.may well be right mate, they may well be thin on the ground over here. I get what you are saying about the 36 as the stock is very reminiscent of the 36 giving quite a retro look.
    Coming onto your mention of the 280 I'm not that sure of the proportions of the modern breed of Diana guns. But I will say this. I have compared the cylinder to the old 45 and this modern 35 actually has a longer cylinder than the 45. I've then.compared it to the later 34/38 series of Diana's. The compression cylinder is of the exact same proportions as the 34/38 series of guns. True the older guns have the older T05 triggers and I cannot vouch for the piston dimensions. But in all other respects the guns are of similar proportions. So, I'm wondering is what I have here is a 34 in 35 clothing?
    This to a degree seems to be.borne out.by the fact that the stroke appears to be quite long. The spring power akin to one out of a Bic biro, leading me to think its been really throttled back. The firing cycle is therefore quite pedestrian. But I will live with things fir now at least.
    Will try and sort some pics but not sure how to upload so will look into it.
    Thanks for the input.
    Dave

Here's a probable way to tell if its based on the 280 or 34. The 280 will cock with the barrel just past 90 degrees. As you know, the 34 cocks well beyond that.
    If its 34 based, you got a real bargain. The regular 34's are priced a good deal higher on the German site.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Here's a probable way to tell if its based on the 280 or 34. The 280 will cock with the barrel just past 90 degrees. As you know, the 34 cocks well beyond that.
    If its 34 based, you got a real bargain. The regular 34's are priced a good deal higher on the German site.
    I will check and make comparisons with the 34 and 45. But I know before I do the barrel rotates way past 90°. I was surprised but will double check.
    So you reckon its better the action is based around the 34 as opposed to the 280 then mate? I'm assuming you own both and can make meaningful comparisons.
    Dave

Its a bonus if its the same action as the 34,well worth getting one if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I will check and make comparisons with the 34 and 45. But I know before I do the barrel rotates way past 90°. I was surprised but will double check.
    So you reckon its better the action is based around the 34 as opposed to the 280 then mate? I'm assuming you own both and can make meaningful comparisons.
    Dave
    Yes, i have a 280 and 2x 34's. I'd say 34 based if the barrel rotates way past 90 deg. It's funny, the 34 has been out for a long, long time but is largely unsung and is a bit of a sleeper nowadays. Its easily a match for a 95 as you may already know and shoots very well in .177. So youve got a good gun at a very good price. And a rare special edition to boot.