Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW45 Service time???

HW45 Service time???

How many shots would people recommend putting through an HW45 before servicing or having it serviced and how many shots do you think a 45 would be good for in its lifespan ? Totally wild question I know but interested to find out!!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Millions.
    Master Debater

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Get in, clean all the grease off and give it a good polish. It's a tricksy little beggar, but there will be a "How to" guide in issue 102 of Airgun Shooter. Once done it will be a whole different experience.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Fantastic thankyou. I will be looking out for that without a doubt.

Get some delrin into it.. when I had mine, I also stamped out 0.5mm PTFE washers and used them on all the rattly bits like the cocking arms... and like tinbum says.. clean out all the shitey grease... it transforms the gun into an accurate powerful pistol with quite low snappy recoil... Superb.. I wish I hadn't sold mine!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Get in, clean all the grease off and give it a good polish. It's a tricksy little beggar, but there will be a "How to" guide in issue 102 of Airgun Shooter. Once done it will be a whole different experience.
    I'd better be getting that one, then.

Love my '45.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I love mine too. I have the silverstar in .177 and the standard black finish in .22. Awesome pistols, especially once you get the hang of them properly

https://imgur.com/uM0zCXn
    https://imgur.com/Bx7pBz1

I added a ptfe sleeve to mine, mainly to stop any grease from the spring getting into the comp chamber. Also polished the piston lightly and buffed a light coat of high moly paste into it. Seemed to cut the dieseling down a bit, but it felt a little rough to cock, so i had to add a little lithium moly grease to the cocking slot to smooth it out a bit.

I wouldn't have thought it would need servicing again for thousands of shots as you run these guns pretty dry. I doubt you'd ever fire enough shots to find out its lifespan.

That looks pretty cool. I may have to have a dabble. The .22 I have diesels a fair bit but the .177 silver star has never really suffered much from that. They are certainly hardy guns and I doubt I have put more than a few hundred pellets through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    https://imgur.com/uM0zCXn
    https://imgur.com/Bx7pBz1

I added a ptfe sleeve to mine, mainly to stop any grease from the spring getting into the comp chamber. Also polished the piston lightly and buffed a light coat of high moly paste into it. Seemed to cut the dieseling down a bit, but it felt a little rough to cock, so i had to add a little lithium moly grease to the cocking slot to smooth it out a bit.

I wouldn't have thought it would need servicing again for thousands of shots as you run these guns pretty dry. I doubt you'd ever fire enough shots to find out its lifespan.
    If you use a small top hat ...it will centralise the spring in that piston...then go for a delrin guide at the other end of the spring....you can then do away with the grease..and no need for the PTFE liner..
    A touch of Napier gun grease on the cocking slots (i hate Moly on pistols....its too mucky) and your away...
    It wont exceed 5 ftlbs without some piston weighting mind but becomes awful to shoot piston weighted ..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Biggest improvement for these is to fit a red Aussie piston seal, to replace the useless hard delrin std item that causes dieseling and harsh shooting.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Biggest improvement for these is to fit a red Aussie piston seal, to replace the useless hard delrin std item that causes dieseling and harsh shooting.
    It might help but the reason the damn thing diesels is because of dodgy compression parameters.
    In order to get compact full power they went for barrel over cylinder design which brings inefficient transfer port issues ....to offset this they packed in more spring but its enough to easily cause flash over issues of even a trace of emoilents in it ....it needs very careful meddling to get it right...
    A kit i did and also done by Tinbum tames the bugger but its no 5 ftlb poser after the mod....it needs plenty of piston weight for that....Tricky gun.

Our's aren't struggling for power, the new sprung version of the kit needs coils removing in most cases!
    I had mine at the June springer bash and at "half" power it is almost 4ft/lb and virtually recoiless.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Our's aren't struggling for power, the new sprung version of the kit needs coils removing in most cases!
    I had mine at the June springer bash and at "half" power it is almost 4ft/lb and virtually recoiless.
    what you making on full stroke without piston weighting..

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    what you making on full stroke without piston weighting..
    Mine in .177 is at circa 5 with two coils removed from factory spring. Nothing else done except damn good polish.