Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HW45 Service time???

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Biggest improvement for these is to fit a red Aussie piston seal, to replace the useless hard delrin std item that causes dieseling and harsh shooting.
    The trick is dry firing the pistol twice to size the PTFE seal. It's a horrific experience, but needs doing.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Im actually not too unhappy about the way my hw45's fire to be honest. I'm getting a five shot grouping at ten yards that can be covered by a two pence piece and as for plinking I'm dropping tins, cans, bottles etc at 20-25 yards without a problem. they are tricky guns indeed but they are so worth the perseverance. I have around 9 pistols and the 45's are my favourite. I also have an hw 75 pneumatic with is amazingly accurate but has non of the excitement of the 45's

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    Im actually not too unhappy about the way my hw45's fire to be honest. I'm getting a five shot grouping at ten yards that can be covered by a two pence piece and as for plinking I'm dropping tins, cans, bottles etc at 20-25 yards without a problem. they are tricky guns indeed but they are so worth the perseverance. I have around 9 pistols and the 45's are my favourite. I also have an hw 75 pneumatic with is amazingly accurate but has non of the excitement of the 45's
    Agreed, its the quirkiness that is appealing.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The trick is dry firing the pistol twice to size the PTFE seal. It's a horrific experience, but needs doing.
    I know ,but it's still crap.

Mine now does over 5 FP, without diesleing, and is much softer to shoot
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I know ,but it's still crap.

Mine now does over 5 FP, without diesleing, and is much softer to shoot
    Maybe this is the way to go ....i have a piece of the same stuff....ill modify and adapt to fit one...
    Ive played with the damn thing for years and years, since it was first introduced.
    Had about 70 club members in that time all give up on them.
    The entire MPl league disowning it....
    I originally played Delrin guides and stuff for it 10 years back and found running it completely dry gave some improvement...
    The spring and compression ratio flashes over for fun if any oils are in it ....so going Delrin i ran dry ..
    ....but down goes the power from its potential 6 ftlbs.
    I usually make about 5.1 ftlbs instead of its achievable 5.75ftlbs going this way.
    I did a mod around 2004 which employed a solid Brass piston weight smaller in dia than stock, then machined up an outer sleeve in Delrin....to form the same dimensions as the stock steel guide...
    Allowing weight but also the ability to run it dry....a combination if you like...
    I was shocked to get 5.9ftlbs....weight and extra slip of the delrin was what i was after at that time...and this worked in power terms ... but within 12 months i ripped it back out and binned it..
    It was still too thumpy...
    In final conclusion i believe plain old delrin is best for guide and top hat and being happy with 5.1 ftlbs ..

Found the old Gamo Center a much better gun and ive done some wonderful things when tuning these if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by clarky; 02-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Maybe this is the way to go ....i have a piece of the same stuff....ill modify and and adapt to fit one...
    Ive played with the damn thing for years and years, since it was first introduced.
    Had about 70 club members in that time all give up on them.
    The entire MPl league disowning it....
    I originally played Delrin guides and stuff for it 10 years back and found running it completely dry gave some improvement...
    The spring and compression ratio flashes over for fun if any oils are in it ....so going Delrin i ran dry ..
    ....but down goes the power from its potential 6 ftlbs.
    I usually make about 5.1 ftlbs instead of its achievable 5.75ftlbs going this way.
    I did a mod around 2004 which employed a solid Brass piston weight smaller in dia than stock, then machined up an outer sleeve in Delrin....to form the same dimensions as the stock steel guide...
    Allowing weight but also the ability to run it dry....a combination if you like...
    I was shocked to get 5.9ftlbs....weight and extra slip of the delrin was what i was after at that time...and this worked in power terms ... but within 12 months i ripped it back out and binned it..
    It was still too thumpy...
    In final conclusion i believe plain old delrin is best for guide and top hat and being happy with 5.1 ftlbs ..

Found the old Gamo Center a much better gun and ive done some wonderful things when tuning these if anyone is interested.
    That's a lot of work. I just changed the piston seal that was causing the problem 😉
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Biggest improvement for these is to fit a red Aussie piston seal, to replace the useless hard delrin std item that causes dieseling and harsh shooting.
    I seem to recall that they're 25mm, Jon?

Would the standard factory HW30 seal work, ie same fitting at the rear?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I seem to recall that they're 25mm, Jon?

Would the standard factory HW30 seal work, ie same fitting at the rear?
    22mm Tony, and fitting unlike any other HW.

22mm

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    22mm Tony, and fitting unlike any other HW.
    I believe Jon must be talking about the Urethane washer available for the HW25 which is the same diameter as the 45 ...at 22mm....The HW30 being 25 mm as Tin says.
    He must have made a small adapter to fit it or modded his piston face..unless its made to purpose fit.

I have some Urethane i used for a Prosport. Ill spin up an adapter and try it when im off next.....wont zone in on power but should give me some indication of shot cycle to see if its worth tinkering with ...
    Ill keep you posted.

HW25 and 45 same fitting, available on the bay for about a tenner shipped from oz. No mods to do, just bung it on. their newer design has a proper lip too.

Cheers, chaps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

HW25 and 45 same fitting, available on the bay for about a tenner shipped from oz. No mods to do, just bung it on. their newer design has a proper lip too.

Ooh, learn something new every day!

Well i'm sold, got to be worth a try at that price.

Cheers buddy i might give this a go...
    Are you running a stock steel guide inside the piston ..?

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Cheers buddy i might give this a go...
    Are you running a stock steel guide inside the piston ..?
    Stock steel guide yes, but I've forgotten whether I reversed it or not - it was a while ago.