Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HW45 Service time???

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Maybe this is the way to go ....i have a piece of the same stuff....ill modify and adapt to fit one...
    Ive played with the damn thing for years and years, since it was first introduced.
    Had about 70 club members in that time all give up on them.
    The entire MPl league disowning it....
    I originally played Delrin guides and stuff for it 10 years back and found running it completely dry gave some improvement...
    The spring and compression ratio flashes over for fun if any oils are in it ....so going Delrin i ran dry ..
    ....but down goes the power from its potential 6 ftlbs.
    I usually make about 5.1 ftlbs instead of its achievable 5.75ftlbs going this way.
    I did a mod around 2004 which employed a solid Brass piston weight smaller in dia than stock, then machined up an outer sleeve in Delrin....to form the same dimensions as the stock steel guide...
    Allowing weight but also the ability to run it dry....a combination if you like...
    I was shocked to get 5.9ftlbs....weight and extra slip of the delrin was what i was after at that time...and this worked in power terms ... but within 12 months i ripped it back out and binned it..
    It was still too thumpy...
    In final conclusion i believe plain old delrin is best for guide and top hat and being happy with 5.1 ftlbs ..

Found the old Gamo Center a much better gun and ive done some wonderful things when tuning these if anyone is interested.
    Do write up your Gamo tuning experiences at some point. I used to have a Falcon, but it was a nasty harsh thing to shoot with an awful grip. I'd be interested to hear how they can be improved.

Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Do write up your Gamo tuning experiences at some point. I used to have a Falcon, but it was a nasty harsh thing to shoot with an awful grip. I'd be interested to hear how they can be improved.
    Its possible you were running loose fit pellets ...
    The sliding breach prefers good snug pellets ...preferably Hobbys ...at 4.53 ...
    But i suspect your gun wasnt sealing as well as it should...either from the breach or piston seal.
    As stock, they are lovely shooters, with good piston stroke/compression parameters provided they are in good order.

The sliding breach unit may seem a little doubty but infact gives perfect alignment and the hard plastic results in a low friction release of the pellet and wears very well.
    Rebuilding with delrin top hat and guide i had one running 500 fps on a stock piston seal ...
    Further, the slight twang and vibration they have was killed stone dead.....ive done 2 now for club shooters.

The guide is actually integral, made of steel and also acts as the main receiver which houses the sights.
    So you cannot replace it totally.
    I simply turned down the steel guide section to 8mm...then machined up a sliding cover of delrin.
    This looks like a traditional guide rod with a hole to pass over the existing modified guide ...also the usual flange which sits down on the main bulkhead as with any other guide rod.
    Top hat was added although did not make much difference......
    A slip washer at either end took out any hint of torque..
    The piston is nicely relieved along its length like a quality air rifle. The bearing sections of which taken to high polish.
    Used some Napier power grease which is thinner moly halfway between SM50 and and regular Moly ...ideal for pistols

Unlike the HW in our discussion, this thing then turned in one holers off a pistol rest at 10 Mtrs...
    Knockdowns at usual pistol ranges no problem.
    The Center grip is adjustable and feels very nice for semi anatomical grip....suprisingly i couldnt get on with the target grip version ...but another member quite likes his.
    Not tried the Falcon grip.
    Last edited by clarky; 04-10-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Ozzie seals

Saw the Ozzie seal on and was wondering if they are worth it. About to strip both my 45 and would like some tips
    Last edited by Airways; 13-11-2017 at 08:53 AM.