Thread: Silly question...54 or 64 ?

Silly question...54 or 64 ?

How can I tell the difference between an Anschutz Match 54 from a 64.

Is the model number always stamped on the action?

Thanks
    Simon

Simon,

Please have a peek at the exploded diagrams here :

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/54-Series-Bolt-Parts.html

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/64-Series-Extractors.html

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Simon,

No, not all 54s and 64s are specifically marked. If you have owned a Match 54, then most Match 54s won't look very different despite the age. 64s are physically smaller, especially the bolt. Since the later 1960s Match 64 bolts have been all-white, not blued at the back.

Thanks

Thank you gents

Used Match 64 values

Would it be generally correct to assume that a Match 64 is worth less than a Match 54, other factors being equal...

Ballpark 1/3 rd or a half less perhaps?

Simon,

In general, yes, it seems that the 64s have 'less' resale value, particularly in the USA.

The rough estimate is that the 64 is worth ca. 200 - 300 USD less than a comparable 54 system.

I suspect that is biased by the perceived opinion that the 54s are 'better'.

However, having read many posts about this on the US Rimfire Forums, and despite the general consensus there saying how much 'better' the 54 is, nobody had anything bad to say about the Match 64 systems accuracy or longevity etc. - as far as I can make out, the reported accuracy of the two (2) systems seems to be about equal, being constrained by the quality of the ammunition they are fed the barrels fitted etc.

A lot of chappies in the USA have used the Match 64 for Rimfire Benchrest shooting, so the action can't be that 'inferior'

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

From memory : the 64 had a much lighter action than the 54, which is obvious if the two are side to side just by looking at the bolt housing. Also, the 64 came in a multishot version, so if it's got a magazine facility it has to be a 64. A friend of mine shot his 64 off a bi Pod at 100x and achieved a 45 to 50 mm group, I'd expect a 54 in the right hands to do a lot better than that, although to be fair the above group wasn't shot with Match Ammunition.

Vic Thompson.

Thanks to all replies

Thanks to all replies