Thread: Weihrauch HW35 .22

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, more examples of poor build quality have surfaced. Having finally got the 35 shooting nicely, I noticed that the action was moving around in the stock with every shot. A 2mm gap would open up between the rear of the action and the stock regardless of how tightly the stock screws were fastened. On inspection, the issue appeared to be with the locating lug on the action. The lug is about 8mm in diameter and sits in a recess approximately 12mm in diameter.

Unfortunately, with a single front stock screw, the HW35 is totally reliant on an accurate fit of this lug to properly secure the action in the stock, which is never going to happen with 4mm of slop.

My solution was to machine up a spacer which fits closely over the lug and also firmly within the stock recess. The net result is that the action is now firmly secured in the stock. Indeed, it's so much better that I'm now wondering if there's meant to be a factory fit spacer in there that's simply missing from my rifle?

pics here

However, fixing this highlighted another issue: With everything properly located the 2mm gap between the rear of the action and the stock is now permanent. The stock simply does not fit properly. To add insult to injury, Weihrauch have placed a Quality Control sticker inside the stock right at that point!

How Weihrauch get away with turning out such dross while charging top dollar is beyond me. I've bought 3 new Weihrauchs over the last 5 years and every one has had issues. Don't get me wrong: I like the HW35 and it is a stupendously accurate rifle (thank the barrel and trigger for that) but I remain distinctly unimpressed by the overall build quality.

It's nice,and indeed very useful to read such a candid review of a new purchase.

I'll wait and see if build quality improves before buying another new Weihrauch.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    It's nice,and indeed very useful to read such a candid review of a new purchase.

I'll wait and see if build quality improves before buying another new Weihrauch.
    I was playing with it today and it really is an effortlessly accurate rifle.

That said, based on my recent experiences, I doubt that I'll be buying any more new HWs and I'd seriously struggle to recommend them to anyone else.

I bought a hw35 in the late 70s age twelveish and carried that lump of a gun over the fields around farms in search of Pigeon rabbit and rat for years. As my shooting career developed it lay neglected through all lifes changes, I some how hung on to my old airgun (Divorce lawyers are not interested in old rusty hw35s)

Recently I have just discovering airguns and fun shooting again. I dug out my old rusting heap stripped cleaned replace the old leather seal, spring and added new spring guide nothing fancy just fitting new bits as required. She has "sprung" back to life nice smooth and a joy to shoot.

So where is this heading,,,,,,, Why not buy an old rough one and resurrect it? plenty of parts about when you buy it you expect the worst and the sense of satisfaction to put on a good show with an old gun is great and to be honest it does not sound like alot more work..... Just a thought

Have you seen the prices people are asking for old rough ones? Really seems to have shot up in the last couple of years despite them not being rare?!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Have you seen the prices people are asking for old rough ones? Really seems to have shot up in the last couple of years despite them not being rare?!
    I met a guy this week who picked one up that had been in a loft for years. He paid £20 and has enjoyed restoring it to an exceptional standard. However I do recognise that some people want quite a lot for old guns that are not that special, another thought it may be the quality or lack of finish on new guns is driving the price of a good old gun up.

Great review

And I gotta be fair to you, DJP - An impressive airgun tuning job.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 17-11-2017 at 03:27 AM.