Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Challenger Arms Corporation Plainsman (pneumatic) air pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/FqK286l.jpg

I was negotiating buying a Plainsman pneumatic 22 with a guy and he said he already sold the one he had in .177. Sent this pic, only one he sent. I assumed at the time it was the pneumatic? Don’t know if you can tell if it’s Pneumatic from this pic?
    Looks like the rear of the CO2 pistol. This is one I sold...

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 04-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Many thanks for the information DT! If you don’t mind I will incorporate it into the article!

I was aware that Fogel had thought about using bulk fill CO2 and it appears he may have developed a prototype at least according to that article in Science & Mechanics with actual photograph of the airgun. According to Fogel, via Larry, they never actually produced one. So it was perhaps Goodenow that added the bulk fill option.

Are you convinced your air shotgun is Goodenow and not maybe a prototype Fogel manufactured?

Interesting no on the .177. I haven’t seen one either but then again, they’re all so rare to begin with!
    My Plainsman bulk CO2 shotgun has a walnut stock, like all Goodenow production (per Larry,) so, there is really little question that it's a Goodenow gun. I believe what Fogel told Larry that Plainsman (California) never produced the bulk fill option. That leaves it up to Goodenow to have produced them.

However, as of this point, nobody has ever found any original Goodenow literature of any sort to back up anything. There is one small magazine ad but that's the full extent of it, as far as I've ever seen. My experience has been that without original literature of the company it's very hard to produce a precise history. When interviewing people for my Crosman books, I heard all sorts of stories that didn't turn out to be exactly true.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/FqK286l.jpg

I was negotiating buying a Plainsman pneumatic 22 with a guy and he said he already sold the one he had in .177. Sent this pic, only one he sent. I assumed at the time it was the pneumatic? Don’t know if you can tell if it’s Pneumatic from this pic?
    I'm pretty sure that's a CO2 model. The giveaway for me is the bolt rest just in front of the breech. It isn't present on the pneumatic. Until I migrate the CO2 article across to my website, please refer to this photo from my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jimmi...9485942815946/

Oh and thanks for sharing!

All the best,
    Jimmie

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    My Plainsman bulk CO2 shotgun has a walnut stock, like all Goodenow production (per Larry,) so, there is really little question that it's a Goodenow gun. I believe what Fogel told Larry that Plainsman (California) never produced the bulk fill option. That leaves it up to Goodenow to have produced them.

However, as of this point, nobody has ever found any original Goodenow literature of any sort to back up anything. There is one small magazine ad but that's the full extent of it, as far as I've ever seen. My experience has been that without original literature of the company it's very hard to produce a precise history. When interviewing people for my Crosman books, I heard all sorts of stories that didn't turn out to be exactly true.
    Many thanks Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Jimmie yes please if you don't mind.
    ATB,
    Mick.
    Mick,

A 16mm x 2.5mm (R11 size) o-ring will fit as I have just measured up and put one in mine. I can pop a few in the post if you like.

All the best,
    Jimmie

Mick,

A 16mm x 2.5mm (R11 size) o-ring will fit as I have just measured up and put one in mine. I can pop a few in the post if you like.

All the best,
    Jimmie
    Did you find that the Nitrile and Viton rubber ones swell up from absorbing CO2 and you need to leave them quite a while before they return to a size where you can refit the cap ? I had to order a load of special ones for my C02 Plainsman.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Did you find that the Nitrile and Viton rubber ones swell up from absorbing CO2 and you need to leave them quite a while before they return to a size where you can refit the cap ? I had to order a load of special ones for my C02 Plainsman.

Baz
    Not really. It depends on how long you are going to shoot with it. At about 15 usable shots at full power per 8g cartridge, that end cap isn't going to be exposed to CO2 for long enough unless you leave the cartridge in the pistol.

O-rings

I think you'll find that all of the American CO2 end seals are the same. The Crosman part number is 150-054 and is easily found under that number on the bay etc. I stocked up on the opaque white ones that are a harder compound which resists any CO2 and holds up to the abrasion from use.

Thanks DT. Although a search of that number only gives this....

http://www./itm/Male-Power-Wings-pou...dB1_BHO7aaNckA

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Mick,

All the best,
    Jimmie
    Hi Jimmie, that's a kind offer, l will pm you my address.

ATB,
    Mick.

Thanks DT. Although a search of that number only gives this....

http://www./itm/Male-Power-Wings-pou...dB1_BHO7aaNckA
    Apparently what I saw were a bunch of US listings. In any case, the best way to source common parts like this is to go through one of the major shops in the US like MAC-1, Precision Pellet, etc. They've already gone to the effort of finding the right parts that really work.

Not really. It depends on how long you are going to shoot with it. At about 15 usable shots at full power per 8g cartridge, that end cap isn't going to be exposed to CO2 for long enough unless you leave the cartridge in the pistol.
    Yes we find the maximum number of decent shots is 20 from the 8 grm, and the black rubber seals expand immediately you take off the end cap to put in the new capsule. All my CO2 pistols now have 90 degree Shore A polyurethane seals in as I buy them in bulk. The Crosman 600 seal fits a lot of different pistols, but not the Challenger which is larger.

Baz

It looks like I will be writing an article about the Plainsman (Goodenow) pneumatic air rifle soon....

What's the going rate for one?

DT, your bulk fill CO2 Challenger. Is that bulk fill only. Or bulk fill and pump up? Or bulk fill and 8g CO2?

All the best,
    Jimmie

DT, your bulk fill CO2 Challenger. Is that bulk fill only. Or bulk fill and pump up? Or bulk fill and 8g CO2?

All the best,
    Jimmie
    It is bulk fill only and cannot be converted to pump up. I believe that the guns could be made either bulk fill or 8g cartridge.