Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire formed ??

Fire formed ??

Just noticed a sales thread referring to .22 hornet brass being "fire formed" down to .17 hornet

Now I know about fire forming to increase capacity, I own a K hornet so all my brass has been fire formed, but surely you cant "fire form" down in calibre because there's no way the larger starting calibre will fit the smaller calibre breach & barrel,

or is it just referring to brass that was neck sized down to drop the cal first, then after being necked has been fired ? in which case it should be called "once fired - neck sized" brass, or just plain "neck sized"

Did you ask Roger?
    Seeing as he's the one that's done it, like. Just saying.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Erm, the man means he's formed some 17 cases from 22 hornet.

I fail to see the harm and nor do I see the harm here to get you worked up enough to post a thread.

Now, if he was advertising "bullet heads" however...
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

I'm not "worked up" about anything, just wondered about the terminology & didn't think it worth a PM.

I was going to ask on the sales thread but that would be poor etiquette under the rules as I'm not interested in buying, so thought I'd ask the general question.

Maybe he made them undersized and shot them to size to the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Erm, the man means he's formed some 17 cases from 22 hornet.

I fail to see the harm and nor do I see the harm here to get you worked up enough to post a thread.

Now, if he was advertising "bullet heads" however...
    I can see what the OP is asking how do you get a .22 hornet case into a .17 hornet chamber to fire form it? I also saw the sales thread and was wondering how this is done? I have heard of some case's that are smaller being fire formed into something slightly bigger????

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm not "worked up" about anything, just wondered about the terminology & didn't think it worth a PM.

I was going to ask on the sales thread but that would be poor etiquette under the rules as I'm not interested in buying, so thought I'd ask the general question.
    Ok sorry, didn't mean to come across as accusatory or anything!

Just seemed to me that he would have necked down .22 hornet brass (of whatever vintage) in some dies and then fired them in his chamber. That would be him indicating that it had been fired that extra time and not just sized down to whatever spec the die is cut to?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Maybe he made them undersized and shot them to size to the chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    I can see what the OP is asking how do you get a .22 hornet case into a .17 hornet chamber to fire form it? I also saw the sales thread and was wondering how this is done? I have heard of some case's that are smaller being fire formed into something slightly bigger????
    Wot he said.

The 22 hornet case would have to be sized down in a die first befOre it could be chambered.

If I recall the 17 hornet case is shaped much like a modern case designed in the smokeless era, i.e. With a little bit of taper and a sharply angled shoulder whereas the .22 hornet is a much more tapered affair with a long and low angled shoulder.

That would mean that the case from the die would look bizzare with step shoulder only as far down as the neck portion of the die will size.

The first firing then blows out the shoulder to the new angle and the case looks like a normal case.

Has anyone who's interested asked the original poster yet?
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by grim_reaper View Post
    Cheers for that, should have thought to look on u-tube

so two stage process 1/. neck size & 2/. fireform the case wall.

Learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Wot he said.

The 22 hornet case would have to be sized down in a die first befOre it could be chambered.

If I recall the 17 hornet case is shaped much like a modern case designed in the smokeless era, i.e. With a little bit of taper and a sharply angled shoulder whereas the .22 hornet is a much more tapered affair with a long and low angled shoulder.

That would mean that the case from the die would look bizzare with step shoulder only as far down as the neck portion of the die will size.

The first firing then blows out the shoulder to the new angle and the case looks like a normal case.
    Thanks for taking the time and explaining this now I understand how it's done just couldn't get my head around putting a .22 into a .17 chamber

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Thanks for taking the time and explaining this now I understand how it's done just couldn't get my head around putting a .22 into a .17 chamber
    Lol, I don't think it would even chamber thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Cheers for that, should have thought to look on u-tube

so two stage process 1/. neck size & 2/. fireform the case wall.

Learn something new every day.
    Three stage really, it's important to anneal before you fire form, or will have a fairly full scrap bin.

We're all learning, that's why I joined this forum in the first place.
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

I have to make brass for my .17Ackley hornet from .22hornet brass....I start by neck sizing the brass with my bullberry die to .20 then .17 I have the die set so it sets the neck to the correct depth where the shoulder will form.
    I then put it through my.17AH full length die to get correct size on neck for bullet and also this double checks the shoulder so it will chamber.
    I then anneal the brass and do a reduced load by 1grain of powder add a bullet and fire it... the case fireforms to the chamber and we have .17ah brass.... I can do 100 cases in about an hour and I get about 10 reloads from them.

I also reload the .17 grain bullets from kranks for fireforming an shoot bunnies/crows or just plink with them. at £5 a hunded fro the bullets I can reload cheaper than .17hmr ammo
    www.derbytargets.com

ANYONE AFTER A CUSTOM TARGET HOLDER PLEASE PM ME...ALL TYPES MADE.