Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire formed ??

I've been forming 6.5 CM brass by annealing, trimming, forming with an FL die then fire forming to my chamber with cheap S&B 140 gr FMJ. Consistency seems to get better after the fire forming load but that's good enough for bulls / Vs at 600 yards.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by SPARKIE View Post
    I have to make brass for my .17Ackley hornet from .22hornet brass....I start by neck sizing the brass with my bullberry die to .20 then .17 I have the die set so it sets the neck to the correct depth where the shoulder will form.
    I then put it through my.17AH full length die to get correct size on neck for bullet and also this double checks the shoulder so it will chamber.
    I then anneal the brass and do a reduced load by 1grain of powder add a bullet and fire it... the case fireforms to the chamber and we have .17ah brass.... I can do 100 cases in about an hour and I get about 10 reloads from them.

I also reload the .17 grain bullets from kranks for fireforming an shoot bunnies/crows or just plink with them. at £5 a hunded fro the bullets I can reload cheaper than .17hmr ammo
    What he said!
    I do this for my 17 Hornet and also use the 17gr Vmax from HK but I load with my usual load and treat them as I do with completed rounds. Should perhaps mention one more stage. After forming the neck they need to be trimmed to length but slightly long to allow for the shoulder to blow out to the shape of the chamber which causes the overall length of the case to shrink slightly.
    CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. Anchutz 1417 .22lr - Rapid Mk2 .22 fac @ 28ftlbs with BSA barrel
    HW100KT .22 @12ftlbs - RWS Scimitar .22 @ 12ftlbs - AA S200 .22 @ 12ftlbs
    Archer NV