Thread: NS Scope/Airsporter Dilemma ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

NS Scope/Airsporter Dilemma ?

I have a nice Nikko Stirling 3-9x40 Jap scope, gloss black with the "red lens coatings" and I'm considering mounting it on my .22 RB2 Airsporter carbine.
    Would this be lets says a "Period Match" ?
    I've currently got a BSA Sweet Sixteen 4 x 32AO on there right now and proportion wise it looks OK and it performs well but I'm not too sure of the period match ?
    This scope is about 7/8 years old purchased new.

Should add, the rifle shoots brilliantly with ELEY Wasp 5.5's and RWS Superdomes , the NS scope is very bright and sharp so I'm hoping that the combo will be good !
    “An airgun or two”………

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Think there may have been a shooting season's overlap, so imho, said combo would be universally period.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I have a nice Nikko Stirling 3-9x40 Jap scope, gloss black with the "red lens coatings" and I'm considering mounting it on my .22 RB2 Airsporter carbine.
    Would this be lets says a "Period Match" ?
    I've currently got a BSA Sweet Sixteen 4 x 32AO on there right now and proportion wise it looks OK and it performs well but I'm not too sure of the period match ?
    This scope is about 7/8 years old purchased new.

Should add, the rifle shoots brilliantly with ELEY Wasp 5.5's and RWS Superdomes , the NS scope is very bright and sharp so I'm hoping that the combo will be good !
    Would a period match really be that important my friend?

If it works and your'e happy with it, surely, it's your rifle/scope!

I wouldn't let it bother me, but strictly - I'm not a 'purist' in these matters.

I even have a Mk2 with a stripped alloy trigger block (was 'polished' but now a nice duller finish) - I got it that way!

It even wears a Mk1 stock as it came without one! - that is down to me!
    atb
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

RB2 are relatively late so near enough. If it looks right probably is. Some modern Hawk? just look wrong. Can use the Sportmatch Airsporter specific reach back mount.
    Parallax can be an issue at x9 for 25m. Some non parallax scopes can be reparralaxed, but its scary finding out as its moving the front lens out but a few turns. Once found leave it. Sme don't have enough adjustment, others hard to shift, but if they can its a big plus. I've had mixed results so some still have to be shot at x6.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Think there may have been a shooting season's overlap, so imho, said combo would be universally period.
    Would agree Gareth, the scopes at least ten years in front of the gun !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Would a period match really be that important my friend?

If it works and your'e happy with it, surely, it's your rifle/scope!

I wouldn't let it bother me, but strictly - I'm not a 'purist' in these matters.

I even have a Mk2 with a stripped alloy trigger block (was 'polished' but now a nice duller finish) - I got it that way!

It even wears a Mk1 stock as it came without one! - that is down to me!
    atb
    ASM
    No, not desperately but I'd like to get it "somewhere close" !
    Actually it looks great !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    RB2 are relatively late so near enough. If it looks right probably is. Some modern Hawk? just look wrong. Can use the Sportmatch Airsporter specific reach back mount.
    Parallax can be an issue at x9 for 25m. Some non parallax scopes can be reparralaxed, but its scary finding out as its moving the front lens out but a few turns. Once found leave it. Sme don't have enough adjustment, others hard to shift, but if they can its a big plus. I've had mixed results so some still have to be shot at x6.
    Gotcha, it has the reach-back SM mount, OP12C I think and the NS is just about the same size as the BSA job so it looks great as said above !

9x is stretching it focus wise so Ill keep it down on 6x which is fine. The BSA was only 4x and I adapted to that !
    “An airgun or two”………

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    No, not desperately but I'd like to get it "somewhere close" !
    Actually it looks great !
    It's hardly a permanent addition mate, if you are happy - I would say go with it and just enjoy it, after all, that's really what it's all about!

Now if it was a 'wobbly' scope - that would be different!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    It's hardly a permanent addition mate, if you are happy - I would say go with it and just enjoy it, after all, that's really what it's all about!

Now if it was a 'wobbly' scope - that would be different!

ASM
    Already got it mounted and it looks the part. Shooting it may be different but I have High Hopes !
    Cheers.

J.
    “An airgun or two”………