Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol muzzle velocity for 10m target shooting.

Pistol muzzle velocity for 10m target shooting.

O.K. - so what is the optimum muzzle velocity or muzzle energy for a 10m pcp match pistol? My Walther LP400 is doing 450fps with RWS Basics (7.0g). = 3.1ft.lbs. Is this the ideal m.e.?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

10m PCP pistols

My LP2 Compact was set up at 525 fps with 7.33 gr JSB Diabolo Match for 4.5 ft/lb.

I think I'd like it to be lower though as there is a discernible muzzle flip.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

The fwb100 manual states 4.5fpe
    Donald

Hi,

you need around 400fps to get a clean hole - above that what ever is most accurate for yo and your pistol...

Frog

My Fwb lp80 does 430 FPS.

I asked Dave mercer if this was a little low and he said not at all.

It shoots well and makes very clean holes.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Hi,

you need around 400fps to get a clean hole - above that what ever is most accurate for yo and your pistol...

Frog
    Exactly this, The power most suited will depend on the pistol and pellet combination, I normally lock in a clamp and adjust until I get the best single hole from 10 shots, Only then do I check the power to simply record as a reference, Realistically I make very little difference as I am unable to shoot the same group freehand but it's nice to know the pistol is as good as it can be and any errors are undoubtedly mine
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Around 500 fps is the accepted norm before muzzle flip due the 'jet' effect of accompanying air starts to make its presence felt.
    Anti-recoil devices and effective compensators may allow a little more, but not much.
    I would of thought the difference between 450 fps and 500 fps is extremely small and unlikely to be exploitable except by a select few.

Thank you for your replies.

I have upped the f.p.s. of my pistol to 500 without any loss of accuracy or muzzle flip. A couple of our club members shots their PCP pistols (not springer or ssp) over the club chrono tonight and the fps varied from one doing 390 (which was increased) to another doing 550 . So 500 fps seems about average.

ATB
    Ian

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    My Pardini K12 was 470 470 471 470 470 over a 5 shot string last night.

Like every pistol I've ever owned, Walther GSP, Hammerli 230, Toz 35 free pistol, Morini 162 etc, etc, it's much more accurate than I can hope to achieve standing and shooting one handed.

Just concentrate on follow through Ian; the house brick is only resting.....
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    My Pardini K12 was 470 470 471 470 470 over a 5 shot string last night.

Like every pistol I've ever owned, Walther GSP, Hammerli 230, Toz 35 free pistol, Morini 162 etc, etc, it's much more accurate than I can hope to achieve standing and shooting one handed.

Just concentrate on follow through Ian; the house brick is only resting.....
    My follow through is now t h a t l o n g I was half way home last night before I lowered my pistol.

Im now sponsored by NORI.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    My follow through is now t h a t l o n g I was half way home last night before I lowered my pistol.
    Not sure the local constabulary would be happy about that
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Not sure the local constabulary would be happy about that
    Why not? It was in a securely fastened case.

I always use factory setting. Ive experienced that thats the most accurate/consistent setting
    My Tau 7 Match is set rediculously low, maybe 100m/sec and sometimes struggles with nice holes but I tried increasing power only to see the groupsize increase
    My LP5 co2 was in the 150s m/sec but very consistent (single figure). Tried messing with that too but lost consistency
    ATB,
    yana

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    My Tau is running around 495 fps and is stupidly accurate....perhaps try a few different brands of pellet at the higher velocity as maybe the same ones that suit it a low velocity don't work so well with a bit more co2 behind them?

Maybe, but I like running same/similar pellets for all my Tau 7s. Its easiest to remember The Tau Match and Silhouet prefer JSB Rifle match at factory setting, the Tau Junior JSB pistol match. Match, Silhouet, and Jr have higher velocities set ex factory. Not really important though, I still can shoot 360s ex 400 with the Tau Match as is. Problems with the holes mostly occur due to the thick plate targetholder.
    ATB,
    yana