Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The shakes

BigEars Guest

The shakes

You know, you're a pistol shooter, turn up on the range, not had coffee for hours and yet, there's a tremor there. I had this on Sunday so after 20 shots I put the pistol down and did some vigorous flexing and extending of my arms and wrists including rotation from the shoulder. Result: tremor reduced.

Can anyone recommend anything better?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Not so vigorous flexing and stretching - slowly and with power like Tai Chi - steady slightly deeper breathing - close eyes and consciously relax muscle groups starting with facial muscles and working down. (Do not chant "Om")
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Propranolol!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Cool

Clonazepam
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Chloroform?
    We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
    I find luxury just about adequate.

Tremors when not drinking coffee suggests a coffee addiction
    or better said; caffeine
    I'd either keep drinking coffee to prevent tremors or slowly stop with coffee or greatly reduce intake so you dont have tremors either
    ATB,
    yana

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Tremors when not drinking coffee suggests a coffee addiction
    or better said; caffeine
    I'd either keep drinking coffee to prevent tremors or slowly stop with coffee or greatly reduce intake so you dont have tremors either
    Don't think it was coffee related, I don't drink that much. I was interested to see that it dissipated after a quick burst of muscle activity. Made me think it was physiological.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    Don't think it was coffee related, I don't drink that much. I was interested to see that it dissipated after a quick burst of muscle activity. Made me think it was physiological.
    This is a good theory and has some authenticity to it that I have had similar results from.

At age 68 I am still reasonably fit and active but find it a lot harder to hold a pistol still than when I was in my 20 -30 years age group when was able to shoot pistol and air pistol quite well and with regular consistency. I now suffer from arthritus in my hands and other areas and have had a bad neck and back following a rugby injury when I was much younger and still playing regularly when at home in Bath. This has come back to haunt me in my older years (as the doctors at the time predicted it would) so I may not be in the best overall physical condition but I don't let it stop me doing anything that I want to do.

Recently have been doing some hard graft breaking out the pointing around 120 metres of Indian Stone and felling some trees along with other heavy hand work (only using hand tools because I like the satisfaction of achieving something with basic non-powered tools) and I have found that when I have had a hard day and take my Morini to the club I hold it more stable than I would normally be able do.

I have a similar result after I have been away mountain biking and this had led me to believe that exercise of almost any type can help my muscles (and nervous system?) to control a pistol better than I can without any recent exercise.

I have also made the mistake of going to the club immediately after I have been slogging away with a stone hammer all day - and that does not work - as I am still shaking and have not had time to recover, so everything has to be considered with a degree of common sense applied as well.

Stretching and shaking the arms immediately prior to shooting (in moderation) can definitely help as long as it is not overdone and a suitable recovery period is taken before gripping the match pistol again.

It works for me ( and Big Ears) so it may work for others too and there is nothing to be lost by giving it a try!
    Last edited by zooma; 07-10-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

BigEars Guest
    I used to find, when I played the guitar, that activities involving vibration, like biking or using an electric mower would adversly affect my fine motor control. So I'd agree that only some activities are beneficial.
    Last edited by BigEars; 08-10-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Was it a match? Or just target practice?
    If it was mental than it would've been some kind of nerves.
    You wouldn't expect nerves for target practice unless you are setting very high goals for yourself.
    Fact that stretching etc helped makes me think about Yoga.
    Exhaustion/fatigue (from shooting or from previous exercising/work) can cause tremors too.
    ATB,
    yana

I used to find, when I the guitar that activities involving vibration
    That's interesting, I've long suspected that when I play guitar during the day my hold is worse in the evening session.

I find the rope rolling exercise has a good effect.
    Evo 10 Compact.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Was it a match? Or just target practice?
    If it was mental than it would've been some kind of nerves.
    You wouldn't expect nerves for target practice unless you are setting very high goals for yourself.
    Fact that stretching etc helped makes me think about Yoga.
    Exhaustion/fatigue (from shooting or from previous exercising/work) can cause tremors too.
    Just practice, so nervousness wasn't a factor.

I suspect it was the vino imbibed
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbill View Post
    I suspect it was the vino imbibed
    No, that was another occasion.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    If it was relieved by some stretching and twisting etc, probably there was some residual tension in the muscle fibres. This can happen if you are stressed or do a repetitive action for a long time. I noticed it when I was doing a lot of night driving when I was tired, ended up gripping the wheel when it only needed to be held securely. The tension remains after the action is over, like a kind of tetanus. Then when you need to do something with a slightly different deployment of muscle it causes trembling. The stretching and twisting relaxes the tense muscle fibres and re-sets them so you can use them in another way.

In terms of diet, potassium and calcium are necessary for good nerves and muscle control, so have a banana milk-shake for breakfast for a few days and see if that make a difference.