Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The shakes

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    If it was relieved by some stretching and twisting etc, probably there was some residual tension in the muscle fibres. This can happen if you are stressed or do a repetitive action for a long time. I noticed it when I was doing a lot of night driving when I was tired, ended up gripping the wheel when it only needed to be held securely. The tension remains after the action is over, like a kind of tetanus. Then when you need to do something with a slightly different deployment of muscle it causes trembling. The stretching and twisting relaxes the tense muscle fibres and re-sets them so you can use them in another way.

In terms of diet, potassium and calcium are necessary for good nerves and muscle control, so have a banana milk-shake for breakfast for a few days and see if that make a difference.
    I have an orange, apple and banana every lunchtime. I normal go to shoot after walking the dog so it's probably not tension.
    All the points you make are relevant, especially wheel gripping.

OK for pistol- but not for rifle?

I have been "chasing out" some pointing on a large area of Indian Stone patio paving using a half inch cold chisel for some weeks now and I only give up when the pain in my neck and back gets too bad - so basically I am overdoing it - BUT - I spent about 4 hours yesterday afternoon on this job and then grabbed something to eat and went to the club.

Although fairly knackered and feeling some pain in my neck and back I took an LP2 with me that i had not previously set up at 10 meters and when I was happy that it was zero-ed-in about right I shot a card before spending the rest of the evening shooting with my rifle.

My first shot was pulled and produced an 8, but the next 4 shots were all good solid 10's giving me a 48 ex 50 - which for me is good.

I should also explain that I have arthritis in both hands and this does not help either (especially after a heavy session with a cold chisel) - but as I have noticed many time over the years - after some fairly strenuous work I actually shoot a pistol better than when I have had a nice relaxing day.

The opposite seems to be true for me when shooting my rifle however as when in pain and feeling knackered I find it very hard to stand motionless in preparation to take a good shot on target.

For me at least, some exercise prior to shooting with my pistol is a good thing, but prior to shooting with my rifle it is a bad thing!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

There is an exercise recommended for tennis elbow (tyler twist) that also does a pretty good job helping hand tremors for me - picture says a thousand words. http://www.sportandexercisemedicine....se-for_med.png

your mileage may vary etc...

rgds