Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issf competitive supported pistol and rifle

Issf competitive supported pistol and rifle

For those that have shown an interest, here hot off the press is a link to the supported pistol and rifle competition shooting the ISSF now supports and encourages, and the thinking that go behind it. Zooma pushed for this as a tryout for the 6yd MPL comp and it was found not to be as easy as you would think, it is the biggest growth area in German competitive shooting and is based on their rules.

http://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.a...ition_2017.pdf

Have a go
    George

Lets hope this will encourage a few more of us to give this excellent discipline a go - either at 6 yards through our own MPL based postal series or at 10 meters in your own clubs.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Supported pistol is an ideal way for new shooters of any age to build up their muscles and method of approach to the diagram.

It modifying what used in training for you people moving from double handed to single handed and making it an official ISSF comp.

Kevin

We may be taking a closer look at this discipline in the very near future.

At the backbone of our club are two 68 year old youngsters who have every intention of carrying on shooting for a lot longer yet, but age does begin to take its toll and supported shooting can definitely extend the time that the sport can be enjoyed at a high level.

Supported shooting is not as easy as it might at first appear and it does still represent a real challenge so it is a future investment that we should make.

Making the rifle and pistol stands (and supports) to the correct specification will be a nice project for us to get involved with - and when they are completed - we don't have to use them just yet if we don't want to

Our two 68 year old "youngsters" at RMTC have almost completed some suitable (legal specification) rests for supported shooting and will soon be able to shoot this discipline at 6 yards and 10 metres.

If there is an MPL competition for supported air rifle we will make this our first forage into supported shooting so that we can "learn on the job" - it sounds like it could be fun - but not much (if any) easier than free standing air rifle.
    Last edited by zooma; 07-02-2018 at 04:38 PM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The event the ISSF promote and Zooma's club have taken on board is not "bench rest" it is "Rested" and it is certainly not easy. Its an event designed not so much for young beginners, but aimed at keeping older shooters in the sport. Look at the rules as notified by Thirdwheel in the first post, there are pictures in it and you can see what its all about.

It is the biggest branch of shooting sport in Germany and generally in Europe (why the ISSF has climbed onto the band wagon), most rifle manufacturers make rifles specially for this discipline (called auflage in German)

Its a fun event, and having tried it with expert standing and prone shooters who discovered its not easy!

Bench rest is altogether different is run to their own associations rules, and the NSRA bench rest rules are a mystery to every one, not meeting either!
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

[QUOTE=RobinC;7431839]The event the ISSF promote and Zooma's club have taken on board is not "bench rest" it is "Rested" and it is certainly not easy. Its an event designed not so much for young beginners, but aimed at keeping older shooters in the sport. Look at the rules as notified by Thirdwheel in the first post, there are pictures in it and you can see what its all about.

It is the biggest branch of shooting sport in Germany and generally in Europe (why the ISSF has climbed onto the band wagon), most rifle manufacturers make rifles specially for this discipline (called auflage in German)

Its a fun event, and having tried it with expert standing and prone shooters who discovered its not easy!

Bench rest is altogether different is run to their own associations rules, and the NSRA bench rest rules are a mystery to every one, not meeting either![/QUOTE).

Why on Earth do the NSRA want to "do their own thing" and not follow the ISSF rules for supported shooting?

Is it because they want to shoot at different distances perhaps - or do they prefer to shoot in the sitting position (only for those aged 71 and over following the ISSF rules)?

There is no point trying to reinvent the wheel when the round shape works well enough already.

At first glance this seems like madness. Surely it would be better if we all worked to the same (existing ISSF) rules?

Supported

I think the NSRA may well use the ISSF rules for supported eventually, we did after all translate them for them a couple of years ago and I know John Lloyd was really interested, I'm just bemused by the NSRA's bench rest rules, which are "different", perhaps they follow the very UK mantra of "if its broke why mend it?"

I'm of course too young to shoot supported, do I hear laughter coming from the north?

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I think the NSRA may well use the ISSF rules for supported eventually, we did after all translate them for them a couple of years ago and I know John Lloyd was really interested, I'm just bemused by the NSRA's bench rest rules, which are "different", perhaps they follow the very UK mantra of "if its broke why mend it?"

I'm of course too young to shoot supported, do I hear laughter coming from the north?

Have Fun
    Robin
    Yes indeed - much laughter here in the north!

At your tender age (Happy Birthday - sorry I missed it at the weekend) you are now entitled to officially sit down and shoot under the ISSF rested shooting rules, something that Paul and I would like to do too - but we are too young and we will have to wait a little longer before we can enjoy a good sit down (and slice of cake?) whilst shooting our rested air rifles!

Your interpretation of the NSRA attitude "if its broke why mend it" made me smile, but as far as the rested shooting discipline is concerned it is hard to understand why our national organisation would want to take on the work load of making new rules when a time proven set already exists and can be used for free - and right now with no further delays!

To be fair to John Lloyd, chair ( I thinK still?) of the NSRA air and other related stuff Committee, he will agree, and he is/was one of the drivers behind bringing supported to the UK. I have no interest in it but I think its a great event both in rifle and pistol.

I agree nothing performed to the top level is easy, I have no knowledge of small bore and air bench rest other than having seen it and know its different, centre fire cartridge bench rest which is where it all emanated is much more about the technical aspect of the equipment, i.e. making the rifle and the ammunition shoot accurately. Much of the technical advances in rifles have come from that sport in the US, I benefit from that, my wife and I shoot ISSF 300 mt and we use the 6 mmBR calibre developed by BR shooters, low recoil, and its accuracy is astounding, a big step above the best small bore, and only matched by the best air pellets, but not at 300 metres!

Yes I may be now permitted to sit under Rested rules, my main sport now is prone rifle with small bore and full bore, I use a timer, many think its to use the allowed time effectively, but actually its an alarm clock in case I nod off!

Have fun
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post

Yes I may be now permitted to sit under Rested rules, my main sport now is prone rifle with small bore and full bore, I use a timer, many think its to use the allowed time effectively, but actually its an alarm clock in case I nod off!

Have fun
    Robin

I guess that laying down beats sitting down - its the next step forward - but I can see the need for an alarm clock.

Do you have a nice mug of cocoa before laying down for the session?
    Last edited by zooma; 08-02-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Cocoa!!! It would fail the drugs test! And slippers have to pass equipment control.

I've just choked on my coffee, after having a vision of an aged Robin sitting down on a chair to shoot ( do so wish I could draw cartoons, and he ain't aged more like a teenager on steroids). Now running for cover as he is frigging good shot!!!!

Geo

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    I've just choked on my coffee, after having a vision of an aged Robin sitting down on a chair to shoot ( do so wish I could draw cartoons, and he ain't aged more like a teenager on steroids). Now running for cover as he is frigging good shot!!!!

Geo
    Don't worry George - Robin has already gone to the next level - laying down when shooting!

This means that (when you start running) you will have a really good 'start" - and it will take him ages to get up again before he can chase you!

........I have started running already ..
    Last edited by zooma; 13-02-2018 at 02:49 PM.

These ISSF rules are a handy reference when contemplating making your own "rests" and "supporting plates" to get started with Supported Air Rifle Shooting.