Bench Rested air rifle shooting and Supported Air Rifle Shooting are not the same discipline.

Supported Air Rifle Shooting balances the front of the rifle on a 50mm dia hard surfaced bar giving the shooter full control of the rifle - apart from not having to support the actual weight of the rifle. The bar is mounted on a stand that can be adjusted to suite the height of the rifle shooter.

The only contact between the rifle and the bar is a small tangental point formed between the top hard surface of the bar face and the hard under surface of the rifle stock. This under surface is sometimes has a hard 60mm wide (maximum) width plate temporary added the the rifle to protect the stock from being damaged by the bar but is often not an option taken and the rifle is shot in standard form.

The only "aid" this shooting method gives to the shooter is to take the weight of the rifle - but not much else.

The natural "shock absorber" provided by the human body is totally lost and so in some ways the control required is greater - or at least "different".

I thought I would mention this as many that are unaware confuse the fully supported "bench rested" discipline with the comparatively "balanced" support that Supported Air Rifle Shooting offers.

I know some have been put off of "having a go" at Supported Air Rifle Shooting as they confused the two disciplines and they do not want to loose any control of the rifle.

Supported Air Rifle Shooting (SARS) is a really good discipline that I would encourage everyone to have a go at to see for themselves what it has to offer.

SARS is not just for the aged, the young, the weak or the handicapped or infirm as some people think - - it is for everyone!

The fact that it can also encompass almost everyone of all ages and physical conditions is an added bonus that few other disciplines can offer whilst retaining full control of the rifle.