Thread: Air Rifle for 25yard Prone Shooting.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air Rifle for 25yard Prone Shooting.

I fancy trying the above and giving my FAC up when it next comes up for renewal. Has anyone else tried using an Air Rifle insted of an Rimfire for this discipline, and if so, how successful was it. Also, can anyone recommend a make and model of Air Rifle suitable for this (I presume it would preferrably need to be closer to 12ftlb rather than 6ftlb ) ?

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

Don't think you can use an air rifle in .22 prone

LR only

You have to use .22 lr. Ammo
    The hole punched wouldn't be crisp enough to use the scoring die.

I'm only talking about "practice" sessions and as my Club Rules allow use of 0.177/0.22 Air Rifle on the 25 yard Range I thought that I might give it a go because as I said, I'm thinking of giving up my FAC.

Vic Thompson.

Some clubs run 25 yard sporting rifle comps with air rifles and .22LR being used. Scopes are usually used but rules would depend on the individual club. Use the rifle you shoot best.

Cambridge run some good air comps 10m& 25m bench rest.
    If using prone I would lol at hw100 , air arms EV series on any of the dedicated match air rifles .
    ATB
    James

It'll obviously need to be PCP because break-barrel/side-levers obviously aren't going to work well when prone.

Your bigger issue is going to be finding an airgun stock with a T-Rail for the handstop and sling. It may require some custom work - and will be significantly easier to just carry on shooting .22!

Obviously if you were to transition to bench-rest or LWSR, then any sporter or match air rifle will do for practice/non-competitive shooting.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation