Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is someone pulling my leg

is someone pulling my leg

I been told your surposed to keep airguns in a gun cab now when did that start

There is a legal requirement to keep them out of the hands of children. Some people interpret this as needing a cabinet but it could be something else.

children

that's not a problem I hate children and wont allow one in my flat

Mine live on the stairwell wall, they only go away when the grandchildren visit.
    Last edited by Tricky-Ricky; 06-10-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clive s 400 View Post
    April 2011,not that it was terribly well publicised,and not a home office approved cabinet.

Just a locked door to deter inquisitive youngsters.

From 10 February, owners will be liable for a fine of up to £1000 if they do not take reasonable precautions to stop unauthorised access to their airgun by people under the age of 18. Safety leaflets informing new owners of the offence will be also be included with every air gun purchased.

Home Office statement
    Home Office crime prevention minister James Brokenshire said: ‘For the vast majority of responsible airgun owners, keeping their weapon safely locked up is routine. But when an air gun is allowed to get in to the wrong hands the consequences can be tragic.

‘Although serious incidents are rare, there have been cases in recent years where children have got hold of carelessly stored airguns that have resulted in severe injuries and even deaths. We want to do everything in our power to keep the risk of such incidents to an absolute minimum.

‘With this new legislation, we are saying there is no excuse. If you do not keep your airgun safely away from children you will be prosecuted.’

No additional burden
    Adrian Whiting, Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) lead on Firearms and Licensing said: ‘The police service supports this control on the security of air weapons. Responsible owners already take sensible precautions to ensure safe storage of their air weapons. This control will place no additional burden on them.

‘Sadly, there have been deaths caused by air weapons and frequently the victims are children. For those owners who have a lax attitude to storage, this provision should encourage them to take action to improve safety.

‘ACPO has been involved in the work leading to this order which we hope will improve the security of air weapons and prevent harm and serious injuries.’

How to keep your weapon safe:

store your airgun out of sight and separately from pellets
    use a robust, lockable cupboard and keep the keys separate and secure
    always store your airgun inside a house rather than in an out building, such as a garden shed
    never store a cocked or loaded airgun
    when using your airgun, keep it under close supervision and never leave it unattended
    Notes to editors
    In 2009/10 there were 1,317 incidents where an air weapon was obtained without permission. There was one death and 67 serious injuries caused by air weapons.
    The offence has been introduced to Parliament with a Commencement Order enforceable under Section 46 of the Crime and Security Act 2010. The new offence comes into force on 10 February 2011. Individuals will face a fine of up to £1000.
    For more details please call the Home Office newsdesk on 0207 035 3535.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...r-lock-and-key

or from here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ty-leaflet.pdf

Safe storage
    As mentioned above, it is now an offence for a
    person in possession of an air weapon to fail to
    take reasonable precautions to prevent a person
    under the age of 18 from gaining unauthorised
    access to it. There have been several deaths as
    a result of children getting hold of air weapons.
    These tragedies might have been prevented had
    the air weapons been stored safely. Below are
    some simple steps to follow to reduce the risk
    of any such incident:
    • In many cases, it will be sufficient to store
    your air weapon in an existing, suitably robust,
    lockable cupboard – keeping the keys separate
    and secure.
    • Alternatively, you could use a lock or locking
    device by which your air weapon can be
    attached to the fabric of a building, or to a
    fixed feature. Or you could use a security cord,
    lockable chain or similar device attached to a
    point of anchorage within the building.
    • Even where children are very young, or are not
    normally present, it is preferable to use some
    form of security cord or similar device rather
    than simply storing your air weapon up high
    and out of reach.
    • Anyone who already holds other firearms
    could use their existing gun cabinet for
    their air weapon, provided this does not
    compromise security.
    • Air weapons should be stored within the
    occupied part of a building and not in an
    outbuilding, such as a garage or shed.
    • If you keep a number of air weapons, you might
    find it useful to consider some of the security
    measures suggested for licensed firearms.
    This information can be found in the Firearms
    Security Handbook 2005, available
    on the Home Office website.
    • When using your air weapon, the best advice is
    to keep it under close supervision at all times
    and to never leave it unattended.
    • Where you have no option but to put your air
    weapon down for short periods, unload it and
    gather up all the ammunition. Steps should then
    be taken to prevent anyone under the age of 18
    from gaining unauthorised access to it. Where
    practicable, this could include attaching it to
    a fixed object using a security cord or similar
    device, or locking it out of sight in a car.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Law or not.........I re-started airgun shooting in 2004.

My guns were kept in Brattonsounds because I had children in the house.

The fact that my children can out shoot me means nowt, they are still kept in the Brattonsounds.

I'm now a granddad, the granddaughter Will be taught by me how to shoot and how to safely handle airguns.

Guess where they will be kept?

Cheers.

Roy.
    Last edited by Retracted_Yeti; 06-10-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Can't spell cheers!
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clive s 400 View Post
    If you have children around the house the guns need to be kept in a way to deny them access. There was a motion last year by a Labour MP following the death of a child that airguns be locked up in gun cabinets. I don't think it got anywhere but in all honesty it is not a bad idea. Just make sure that if children are in the house the guns are kept away and the usual safety procedures of storing the magazine and pellets away from the gun are observed.

A.G

Got all mine in gun cabinets , Keys are stored in a yale safe, You would most probs only need one or two gun bags for when you take them out to use, And it's a lot easier when it comes down to cleaning / wiping guns over etc ,

I've always kept mine locked away as I'm an FAC/SGC holder and have to have cabinets regardless.
    But it makes sense to lock them away anyway as besides keeping them away from youngsters, airguns aren't cheap and unsecured rifles make easy pickings should you be unfortunate enough to be broken into.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Common sense needs legislation these days.

I have grandkids now so Airguns upstairs in a locked room.

I wonder what the number of people is that knew the new legislation or the new comers to the sport who had done a little research into the safe storage of their new airguns?

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Here in N.I. they are on ticket irrespective of power and must be stored in an approved gunsafe anyway, this does not cause any problem. Presumably with the quantities of sub 12ft lb air rifles some members hold it would be quite expensive if they had to keep them in approved gunsafes. Better to be safe than sorry.

Apart from anything else a PCP with scope is going to be upwards of £600 so locking it away from thieving fingers would strike me a common sense anyway, even more so if you own a few.

Here is a thought ...

Children are naturally inquisitive !

So , in South Africa, when I was in uniform , we "gun proofed" our kids, they were taught very very young to respect guns, never touch and never play with them.

They were taken out , taught to shoot , and use the weapon , but at the same time , really re-inforced on them what could happen .

This , mainly to satisfy their curiosity .

I guess , they were also there when we brought dead buck home to skin , and butcher , so they were very aware of the consequences of shooting some thing.

They also , as children do , listened to adults , when we talked , and heard about our friends who had been shot or murdered , so all in all , they didn't touch .

We all had guns handy , not lying about , but handy .

Kids were always taught , All guns are always loaded , Never touch , Never point it at anything you don't need to shoot .

It worked for us , but I guess we lived in an unusual situation .

However , here in UK , where 99% of children only ever see guns in play station games , or in movies, the gun is some thing harmless ...

Or not threatening .

So , I agree , they should be locked away from inquisitive kids , but they should also be taken out and coached to shoot and shown how they work .

My kids have shot from an early age , both quite good shots , however , they are not interested in it as a sport .

Their choice , however , I've never seen them pick up a gun and play with it .

Maybe I'm lucky .