Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brno Tau 7 Target Pistol, .177, CO2 powered

Brno Tau 7 Target Pistol, .177, CO2 powered

Hi there's on of these for sale on here would it surfice as a novice starter 10 and 5 meter target pistol and are they accurate.
    Since they brought out the Mk 8 pcp veriant there seem to be a glut of these on most target forums so would it do as a starter ?
    PS the guy wants £200 is this type of pistol good value at that price 2nd hand ?
    I'm the novice and would be buyer
    From Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    Hi there's on of these for sale on here would it surfice as a novice starter 10 and 5 meter target pistol and are they accurate.
    Since they brought out the Mk 8 pcp veriant there seem to be a glut of these on most target forums so would it do as a starter ?
    PS the guy wants £200 is this type of pistol good value at that price 2nd hand ?
    I'm the novice and would be buyer
    From Frank
    The Tau 7 is a well respected target pistol, and runs of C02 capsules (IIRC around 70 shots). Very good as a start up pistol, fully adjustable sights and the one for sale also comes with spare rear and front sight blades. The barrel and rear weights are also included. The large CO2 transfer bottle is also included, but most folk do not use that because you would need a bulk fill to fill that (and suitable adapter). Very nice trigger and adjustable velocity.

They normally go for around £250 (without the bulk fill tank and spare sight blades), so providing that is working well it seems a good buy. However one thing I noticed it that the one for sale does not have an adjustable palm shelf. Therefore I am not sure which model this is (all others I have seen have an adjustable palm shelf). It would be better if you could try before you buy or at least ask what size the grip is (S/M/L).

Spare seals etc... can be obtained Sureshot in the UK. I had a problem on my Tau 7, the o-rings on the piercing cap kept getting damaged, but I resolved this using polyurethane seals instead of the OEM seals. Also make sure the catch on the loading gate is not worn otherwise it will fly open when fired and the breach o-rings will ping out!

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    The Tau 7 is a well respected target pistol, and runs of C02 capsules (IIRC around 70 shots). Very good as a start up pistol, fully adjustable sights and the one for sale also comes with spare rear and front sight blades. The barrel and rear weights are also included. The large CO2 transfer bottle is also included, but most folk do not use that because you would need a bulk fill to fill that (and suitable adapter). Very nice trigger and adjustable velocity.

They normally go for around £250 (without the bulk fill tank and spare sight blades), so providing that is working well it seems a good buy. However one thing I noticed it that the one for sale does not have an adjustable palm shelf. Therefore I am not sure which model this is (all others I have seen have an adjustable palm shelf). It would be better if you could try before you buy or at least ask what size the grip is (S/M/L).

Spare seals etc... can be obtained Sureshot in the UK. I had a problem on my Tau 7, the o-rings on the piercing cap kept getting damaged, but I resolved this using polyurethane seals instead of the OEM seals. Also make sure the catch on the loading gate is not worn otherwise it will fly open when fired and the breach o-rings will ping out!
    Thank you for all your advice and expertise I have brought the pistol now my friend is a master carpenter ( well so he tells me ) he said he will sort out any problems with palm rest and grips probly a bottle of the good stuff as payment.
    Looking forward to receiving the pistol I'm not sure if she will come with any manuals on cleaning. Does yours like a clean barrel or dirty I surpose it will be trial and error well thanks for your help
    Best Regards Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Nice one, that should serve you well.

There is a recent thread HERE that mentions the popularity of the Tau 7. My Tau 7 was running hot when I bought it (536 fps with Hobby/Geco), it had a kick to it and was wasting gas at the muzzle so I adjusted down to 475 fps.

Some good information on the Tau 7 in THIS link.

Any problems, ask folk on here, there are plenty with experience of the Tau 7.

Loved mine, Very easy to maintain and spare parts are both readily available and super cheap, Sure Shot airguns can get parts and are very helpful, Mine shot very accurately with a nice trigger, The only suggestion I'd make is use a drop of pellgun oil for every other CO2 cylinder and a drop on a pull through to lube the barrel if leaving for a while, They do rust internally if not cared for and CO2 don't help. Don't let that put you off though, its very easy to prevent with a little care so not a major issue at all, mine gave me years of great service and is still in use now by the person that brought it from me, I've repaired quite a few over the years all have been very cheap simple repairs normally due to lack of care when storing.

If interested I know of a R/H grip with shelf, I found it in a gun shop last week in a box of old stock items, Drop me a PM and I'll send you details and as I'm not far from you the shop will also be close
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Tau 7 s are great. The mk8 is, or was when I bought one few yrs back, still in its development stage. It has/had (design)issues
    The Tau 7 is still made new so theyre not entirely replaced by the mk8.
    200 sounds like a fair price for uk market
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Loved mine, Very easy to maintain and spare parts are both readily available and super cheap, Sure Shot airguns can get parts and are very helpful, Mine shot very accurately with a nice trigger, The only suggestion I'd make is use a drop of pellgun oil for every other CO2 cylinder and a drop on a pull through to lube the barrel if leaving for a while, They do rust internally if not cared for and CO2 don't help. Don't let that put you off though, its very easy to prevent with a little care so not a major issue at all, mine gave me years of great service and is still in use now by the person that brought it from me, I've repaired quite a few over the years all have been very cheap simple repairs normally due to lack of care when storing.

If interested I know of a R/H grip with shelf, I found it in a gun shop last week in a box of old stock items, Drop me a PM and I'll send you details and as I'm not far from you the shop will also be close
    My pistol should be here tomorrow the guy I brought it off done a wonderful thing he sent me a tracking number that actually works what a great guy I didn't ask him to do it so it should be here tomorrow Wednesday
    Yes you can pm me details of R/H grip I exspect it would have gone by now I should realy have asked seller what size I was told to
    In first reply post but I was to excited plus my friend said he would sort it .So yes please send details
    I've asked for those Cyborg glasses if any one as a old set they no longer use so keeping fingers crossed
    I'll be asking a lot of silly question in the next few weeks as most novices do
    By for now
    Frank
    PS thanks for head up on peligun oil and tips on rust all taken on board I have some R10 flat head pellets
    Which I will try first
    B.S.A.R Member

Pistol shooting glasses Cyborg Type please

Pistol Shooting Glasses
    Hi any one got a old set for sale not the safty type one's more like the Cyborg type I've just brought a Bur
    T7 off here so money a bit short and I'm not sure I will like the Disapline so I'm going 2nd hand I was after a set consisting of nose clip and attachment bar. eyeblind.lens holder and ires lens thingy as you can see a right novice well let me know what you have and how much thanks all.
    B.S.A.R Member
    This post is also posted on wanted/SWOP Forum as well
    Thanks from Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Nice one, that should serve you well.

There is a recent thread HERE that mentions the popularity of the Tau 7. My Tau 7 was running hot when I bought it (536 fps with Hobby/Geco), it had a kick to it and was wasting gas at the muzzle so I adjusted down to 475 fps.

Some good information on the Tau 7 in THIS link.

Any problems, ask folk on here, there are plenty with experience of the Tau 7.
    Thanks for your help I will indeed have a look at your thread my mind is absorbing any information I can find thank you once again and yes I dare say I will have many questions novice questions that is that I hope you guys will steer me in the right direction as your have with buying this fine pistol .
    And I intend to listen to the advice I'm given in shooting this fine pistol
    Thanks from Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Tau 7 s are great. The mk8 is, or was when I bought one few yrs back, still in its development stage. It has/had (design)issues
    The Tau 7 is still made new so theyre not entirely replaced by the mk8.
    200 sounds like a fair price for uk market
    Thank you for your advice and every one of the posts have said it's a good pistol easy to maintain cheaper parts so I quess it's up to me to find what pellet she will like I was thinking along the lines of the pistol was made in checkzolv so JSB pellets are made there may be pistol would like them I have some flat head R10 pellets so I'll try them first for grouping see how they fare
    Thanks for your post
    From frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    Thank you for your advice and every one of the posts have said it's a good pistol easy to maintain cheaper parts so I quess it's up to me to find what pellet she will like I was thinking along the lines of the pistol was made in checkzolv so JSB pellets are made there may be pistol would like them I have some flat head R10 pellets so I'll try them first for grouping see how they fare
    Thanks for your post
    From frank
    R10's will work just fine, I never found the pistol pellet fussy at all and actually shot just as good with Geco's (about half the price of R10's)

With regards to glasses unless you actually need an optical lens they're not essential, I started with a head band and a piece of plastic milk bottle cut to the shape of a blinder, worked fine, I later purchased a "proper" blinder for £22 and it was basically a piece of opaque plastic that looked just like the piece of milk bottle I had been using

It's very easy to get caught up in all the lenses, blinder's, iris's stuff but the best thing that you can do to improve your shooting is spend the money on pellets and practice, technique is paramount to good shooting and you can't buy that, most of the stuff I bought when I started is sitting in boxes. If you do require an optical lens Varga make a set of frame's for around £80 that are absolutely fine and spec savers can make a lens up for around £40, I'll check with the shop that they still have the grip, probably have as it's sitting in a box of bit's out back.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

yep jsb match work best accuracy wise in all my tau 7s. No need nor use for rws r10
    Do test with various sizes too
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Glasses

If you have a long vision prescription pistol glasses make a big difference, get the lens to focus for distance to foresight, I have an old pair of Knoblochs, much better than Varga's, they've been repaired, but good condition, with 37 mm pistol lens holder, and blinder adjustable for all positions, They are my spare pair for kids we coach, but not been used for years, you can have them for £50 posted

email me on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I found the pilkguns website invaluable for learning technique without any help. The lad has a way with words
    http://www.pilkguns.com/pistolcoaching-shtml/
    Definitely start with the hitchhiker guide... it's brilliant.
    I had little to no 1-1 coaching and with reading e everything I could find and practising A LOT, my on after 6 months this was 86 which I thought was not too shabby.
    If your gun has a dry fire feature you can practise in the house... let off is probably the most important part of pistol shooting... you can practise with just a black dot on a wall - it doesn't even have to be 10m, you are just getting your mind and your finger engaged - or disengaged as the case may be - totally zen man !!!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    yep jsb match work best accuracy wise in all my tau 7s. No need nor use for rws r10
    Do test with various sizes too
    Thank you I do like JSB And they are at the moment readily available to buy here down south
    B.S.A.R Member