Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hft zero

The main version is UKAHFT. They have a website. All the rules and course info is on there. It takes a couple of clicks to get on that site. Go on that site and read the facts for yourself. Some areas have their own variations. That happens, but most places and the Nationals, Midlands and the Worlds at Kelmarsh are all UKAHFT rules events.

To the OP ...

To get you going ... ChrisC's settings will get you going nicely. He's basically saying he uses a zero of half a mildot at 25 yards. So he has an aim point for the tricky 15mm 25 yard kills ( it's his 0.5 mildot ). You find the rest of your aim points for various ranges and off you go.

So try 0.5 mildot at 25 yards as a zero. If you have youngish and healthy eyes then set the PA focus to @ 23 yards and mag at 10x. That will get you where Steyr is on about ... Everything from about 13 yards to just under 40 will be clear. 40 will just be going fuzzy. 45 will be fuzzy. 10 will be fuzzy. 8 will be blurred and you will have to squint to see that. The blur helps with ranging.

Don't get too confused or panicky about lots you'll read about range traps etc and what you need to do to overcome them. People like to think there's more to it than there actually is. There isn't. If you just want to start off by turning up, eating bacon butties, drinking tea, and taking the p***, and knocking down a few targets, then there certainly isn't. It's an easy sport to get into and do quite well at. It's not easy to be very good at.

You don't have to be a range finding genius that can range to within a yard out to 45 yards. Some like to think you do. You don't. Most shots are taken in such a stable stance that your groupings right out to 45 yards will be very very tight. Much much tighter than the kill sizes allowed. So you can be out with ranging and knock them down. True, the tighter your groups and the better you range, the more allowance you can be out re wind estimation.

There are little tips that can help you. For example ... If you are unsure of the range of a target and you think it may be aim top of kill ... but you aren't sure ... it may be aim just above centre of kill. So don't aim bang on edge of kill. If the pellet hits exactly where you've aimed you may split that one and it won't go down. So aim just inside top of kill. If it hits just below where you aimed ... it's down. If it hits exactly where you aimed ... it's down. Same with wind. If you are thinking I think there's enough wind to aim edge of kill so the wind will drift it into centre of kill ... but I'm not sure. Don't aim bang on edge horizontally. Aim just inside. If it drifts in half a kill ... it's down. If it holds it's line and hits bang on where you aimed ... it's still down. You don't have to hit the centre of the kill for it to go down. Anywhere on that paddle ... it's down. So you can cheat the range and wind a little.

For now, just get to a club and start shooting HFT. It's a sport that was designed to be easy enough such that youngsters and newbies can just give it a go with whatever kit they have and do ok. It still is just that. Within a short period of time, if you can shoot at all, you will be knocking down plenty of targets. Most are happy with that and stay at that level. You don't have to be a range finding master to be knocking down enough targets to be scoring 50 out of 60.

You'll hear a lot of people talking about amazing range traps. The truth is ... they just aren't great at ranging. Walk your dog for a few weeks and start estimating how far that next tree is or the start of that next bench. Once you are getting within a couple of yards you'll do fine on a HFT course. You'll also notice that some of the people you shoot with, can't tell the difference between 25 yards and 40, and they probably drink tea afterwards with a low score and talk about the amazing range traps on the course. They have their own built in range trap.

If you want to get into the top group of shooters who consistently score 55 plus then it's starts getting very tough and being able to range a bit better and judge wind better starts pinching you more points. That all takes time. No rush to get there. No one laughs at you if you get a lowish score. Loads of people do.

Go to a club. Have a go. Learn what suits you. Listen to advice from the best shooters ( they will give it gladly ... decent bunch of folk ). Enjoy whilst you develop.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeysimon View Post
    Swefta hft is shot from 10-55 yards over a 40 target course normally,our region is different to ukahft rules so the o.p. Is correct,ft ranges are the same as a few of the clubs have one course so we shoot both disciplines on the same course
    Ah. No worries. Rob said swefta but didn't say swefta hft
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    The main version is UKAHFT. They have a website. All the rules and course info is on there. It takes a couple of clicks to get on that site. Go on that site and read the facts for yourself. Some areas have their own variations. That happens, but most places and the Nationals, Midlands and the Worlds at Kelmarsh are all UKAHFT rules events.

To the OP ...

To get you going ... ChrisC's settings will get you going nicely. He's basically saying he uses a zero of half a mildot at 25 yards. So he has an aim point for the tricky 15mm 25 yard kills ( it's his 0.5 mildot ). You find the rest of your aim points for various ranges and off you go.

So try 0.5 mildot at 25 yards as a zero. If you have youngish and healthy eyes then set the PA focus to @ 23 yards and mag at 10x. That will get you where Steyr is on about ... Everything from about 13 yards to just under 40 will be clear. 40 will just be going fuzzy. 45 will be fuzzy. 10 will be fuzzy. 8 will be blurred and you will have to squint to see that. The blur helps with ranging.

Don't get too confused or panicky about lots you'll read about range traps etc and what you need to do to overcome them. People like to think there's more to it than there actually is. There isn't. If you just want to start off by turning up, eating bacon butties, drinking tea, and taking the p***, and knocking down a few targets, then there certainly isn't. It's an easy sport to get into and do quite well at. It's not easy to be very good at.

You don't have to be a range finding genius that can range to within a yard out to 45 yards. Some like to think you do. You don't. Most shots are taken in such a stable stance that your groupings right out to 45 yards will be very very tight. Much much tighter than the kill sizes allowed. So you can be out with ranging and knock them down. True, the tighter your groups and the better you range, the more allowance you can be out re wind estimation.

There are little tips that can help you. For example ... If you are unsure of the range of a target and you think it may be aim top of kill ... but you aren't sure ... it may be aim just above centre of kill. So don't aim bang on edge of kill. If the pellet hits exactly where you've aimed you may split that one and it won't go down. So aim just inside top of kill. If it hits just below where you aimed ... it's down. If it hits exactly where you aimed ... it's down. Same with wind. If you are thinking I think there's enough wind to aim edge of kill so the wind will drift it into centre of kill ... but I'm not sure. Don't aim bang on edge horizontally. Aim just inside. If it drifts in half a kill ... it's down. If it holds it's line and hits bang on where you aimed ... it's still down. You don't have to hit the centre of the kill for it to go down. Anywhere on that paddle ... it's down. So you can cheat the range and wind a little.

For now, just get to a club and start shooting HFT. It's a sport that was designed to be easy enough such that youngsters and newbies can just give it a go with whatever kit they have and do ok. It still is just that. Within a short period of time, if you can shoot at all, you will be knocking down plenty of targets. Most are happy with that and stay at that level. You don't have to be a range finding master to be knocking down enough targets to be scoring 50 out of 60.

You'll hear a lot of people talking about amazing range traps. The truth is ... they just aren't great at ranging. Walk your dog for a few weeks and start estimating how far that next tree is or the start of that next bench. Once you are getting within a couple of yards you'll do fine on a HFT course. You'll also notice that some of the people you shoot with, can't tell the difference between 25 yards and 40, and they probably drink tea afterwards with a low score and talk about the amazing range traps on the course. They have their own built in range trap.

If you want to get into the top group of shooters who consistently score 55 plus then it's starts getting very tough and being able to range a bit better and judge wind better starts pinching you more points. That all takes time. No rush to get there. No one laughs at you if you get a lowish score. Loads of people do.

Go to a club. Have a go. Learn what suits you. Listen to advice from the best shooters ( they will give it gladly ... decent bunch of folk ). Enjoy whilst you develop.
    Great reply here, thanks for all the info,! Been practicing my standing shots this week and finding it tough!

Quote Originally Posted by mattylawrence View Post
    Great reply here, thanks for all the info,! Been practicing my standing shots this week and finding it tough!
    Matt, you will It takes a long, long time to get a fairly steady kneeling/standing position. Take a look at the positions adopted by the 10m shooters to give you a base line and then adjust for yourself. I found that shooting the clubs silhouettes brought on my standing shots.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Matt, you will It takes a long, long time to get a fairly steady kneeling/standing position. Take a look at the positions adopted by the 10m shooters to give you a base line and then adjust for yourself. I found that shooting the clubs silhouettes brought on my standing shots.
    When I started shooting with air rifles some fifty odd years ago I only ever shot standing. When I returned to shooting a few years back many decades of standing on my feet in rubbish jobs had taken their toll on my back, shoulders and hips and I couldn't hit a barn door from twenty paces. I kept at it modifying my stance and hold, swallowed my pride and started to practice from 10 yards and gradually working my way up to 15, then 20 then 25 ( my standard practice range ) and upwards. I can hit a 2" target now at 50 yards free handing with a reasonable percentage of success, after many months of practice, but I find that comps pile up their own pressure due to unfamiliar targets and surroundings and uneven ground so hitting a 30 mm target standing at 35 yards is actually quite a challenge. Practice, patience and familiarity with the gun is the only way to improve.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    When I started shooting with air rifles some fifty odd years ago I only ever shot standing. When I returned to shooting a few years back many decades of standing on my feet in rubbish jobs had taken their toll on my back, shoulders and hips and I couldn't hit a barn door from twenty paces. I kept at it modifying my stance and hold, swallowed my pride and started to practice from 10 yards and gradually working my way up to 15, then 20 then 25 ( my standard practice range ) and upwards. I can hit a 2" target now at 50 yards free handing with a reasonable percentage of success, after many months of practice, but I find that comps pile up their own pressure due to unfamiliar targets and surroundings and uneven ground so hitting a 30 mm target standing at 35 yards is actually quite a challenge. Practice, patience and familiarity with the gun is the only way to improve.

A.G
    That's bang on. we have a resetter paddle at 35 yards on our zero range and i can hit it 9 times out 10 standing.....then put a score card in your hand