Thread: Micrometer Bullet Seating Dies

Micrometer Bullet Seating Dies

Are they really worth while having?

I've no experience using these but I need a new set of .308 dies (I'm going for Redding) and can't decide whether I should spend double the money on a set with a micrometer seating die.

I have had no difficulty setting any seating dies I've owned to consistently seat within .001". So the odd bit of deviation I get I'm assuming is from slight dimensional differences in the bullet heads, and the fact that there is slight movement in every joint of the press, so getting 100% perfect repeat-ability isn't really achievable.

Is measuring to tenths of a thou a bit pointless when the COL of a bullet doesn't really call for it?

What are peoples thoughts or experiences with them?

Cheers
    Greg

Would need to know what your loading for mate if your shooting long range for the comps go for it.
    If your just loading hunting rounds I would not bother, I just load practice loads up for my 308
    I use the Lee dies myself

I've got the Redding 308 Deluxe 3 die rifle set which I bought from www.shooting-supplies.eu , I also bought the Micrometer seating stem from them as well so making tiny adjustments was a lot easier.
    mike

Thanks for the link. Those prices are fantastic its a shame they don't have the .308 (or many other calibres!) left in stock

I'm going for long range accuracy, not hunting.

Cheers
    Greg

I use Forster Micrometer seating dies.
    As there's no backlash in these dies, a thou either way is a thou on or off the seating depth.
    Necessary? Maybe not so much, but i like to leave as little as possible to chance in my reloading.
    To destroy a people, you must first sever their roots. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

A Micrometer seating die is a godsend for fine tuning your handlaods once you have found the most accurate charge weight, The ease of adjustment makes setting the seating depth to find optimum bullet jump very simple.

TB.

Ok, so the micrometer thimble is more for user convenience? I guess that's what I'm trying to establish.

Is there any added quality to these die sets or are they just a normal die set with a micrometer instead of an adjustment screw?

Cheers

They promote a sense of "Feelgood" for those with OCD.

If you are happy with your reloads. You will probably shoot better.

poss missing a vital point they also have a spring loaded bullet alignment sleve that helps reduce run out.