Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Shooting News - aka Parliamentary Air Rifle Debate

UK Shooting News - aka Parliamentary Air Rifle Debate

Is anyone able to put up a link to the new article in UK shooting News, I have very limited computer skills, belive me it is
    A real b*****d
    Last edited by bullbarrel; 12-10-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks mrto.

I think that interpretation is a bit ott.

The govt news.

And the Hansard discussion.

Fingers crossed our organisations are giving it a combined response.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post

The govt news.

i hope the english government listen to both sides and not do a scottish one and push it through anyway .

"cite the Scottish airgun licensing scheme as a potential model to follow."

a loss making exercise that has no traceability. no serial numbers ,rifle maker or model numbers on the license . nothing to stop some one going in and buying their mate a rifle from a shop and give it to their non licensed friend's.

putting them on FAC as in the current FAC air is may work to stop people buying them and passing them on to unlicensed people but that is not how the scottish one works .

i hope the english government listen to you and the shooting organisations . the scottish government did not listen to us scots and a fair number of the english that tried to help stop it (thanks for your time ,it was appreciated).

i for will help to stop it if it comes to you guys in england and wales too .

paul

p.s this is what my scottish airgun license says . https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qv5antdz6...05842.jpg?dl=0 others may say different for example people that shoot in clubs. as you can see there is no traceability at all.
    Last edited by bighit; 10-10-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post

The govt news.

Can you honestly see the various organisations getting together to give it a response, you'd need the UKHFT, BFTA, BASC, NSRA & the magazines (plus all the ones I've not mentioned) all kicking up a fuss together & 'singing from the same song-sheet'.

From statement - "the Minister confirmed he would be meeting Benjamin Wragge’s family later this year to listen to their views." - While I have enormous sympathy for the family, has the Minister never heard the expression - Hard cases make bad law - A quick look at the knee-jerk legislation we currently have adequately makes the point.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debat...3A25390#g137.2

Is this the correct thing, full version?

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Can you honestly see the various organisations getting together to give it a response, you'd need the UKHFT, BFTA, BASC, NSRA & the magazines (plus all the ones I've not mentioned) all kicking up a fuss together & 'singing from the same song-sheet'.
    Certainly BASC, NRA, NSRA, CPSA, GTA and others worked through a single contact point (British Shooting Sports Council) during the Cumbrian shooting and that seemed to work well.

"Had the law on the licensing and registration and storage of airguns been amended in the past, Ben’s death could have prevented."

Read more at: http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/...dent-1-7999202

safe storage laws were introduced in 2011 . this young boy died last year . the rifle was clearly not stored safely.

it was a home made rifle

Richard Kennett, joint firearms licensing manager for Norfolk and Suffolk Police, told the inquest the gun which fatally injured Ben had been ‘home made’ by the person who sold it and who was not a recognised manufacturer.

Coroner says teenager Ben Wragge’s airgun death was ‘very rare tragic accident’ Ben Wragge Published: 13:44 Thursday 08 June 2017 A coroner is to ask the Home Office to review legislation controlling the use of air weapons following the death of a 13-year-old boy. Ben Wragge had been enjoying a day with friends in Thurston on May 1 last year when he was accidentally shot in the neck. Ben Wragge's family after the inquest. Suffolk Coroner Dr Peter Dean recorded a conclusion of accidental death, describing it as a ‘very rare tragic accident’. Dr Dean said: “It is clear that no malice or harm was intended by any of the the people involved as this tragedy unfolded.” The coroner said he would be writing to the Home Office to request a review of the legislation surrounding the ownership and use of airguns to ‘prevent further tragedies in the future’. Richard Kennett, joint firearms licensing manager for Norfolk and Suffolk Police, told the inquest the gun which fatally injured Ben had been ‘home made’ by the person who sold it and who was not a recognised manufacturer. Had the law on the licensing and registration and storage of airguns been amended in the past, Ben’s death could have prevented. Zoe Wragge The air rifle had no safety catch, could be fired without pulling the trigger and it could not be seen if it was loaded. Mr Kennett said he believed that while there was usually education surrounding shotguns and licensed rifles, less took place regarding the ownership and use of air weapons which were legal for people as young as 14 to use on private land. In a statement read to the inquest by Suffolk Coroner Dr Peter Dean, Ben’s grandfather Harry Wragge said the use of air weapons should be restricted to people aged over 18. Speaking on behalf of the family, he said: “In our view all lethal airguns should be registered and licensed as they are in Scotland.” Ben Wragge Ben, of Main Road, Great Ashfield, was taken by ambulance to the West Suffolk Hospital where he was declared dead later the same afternoon. A post mortem examination by pathologist Dr Benjamin Swift concluded that Ben died from injuries resulting from being shot in the neck by an airgun pellet. Detective Inspector Kevin Hayward, of Suffolk and Norfolk Major Investigation team, said interviews with three other boys who had been present revealed that initially they had not been aware the airgun had been fired as it was fitted with a silencer. The boy who had been holding the weapon said he felt a shake and a dull thud but only realised that Ben had been hit when he heard him cry out and saw blood. The boy said he did not know the gun was loaded. The three boys said they immediately sought help from neighbours and flagged down passing motorists. The inquest heard that the weapon had been owned by the father of one of the boys and at the time of the tragedy the boys had been examining it and looking through the telescopic sight. DI Hayward said the airgun had been taken out of the airing cupboard where it was stored by the boy who had brought his friends home to see progress on the building of a new shed. Although the weapon was found to be slightly more powerful than the limit requiring the holding for a firearms certificate, it had been sold by the manufacturer and accepted by the purchaser as complying with that limit. After the inquest, Zoe Wragge, a cousin of Ben’s father, Robert Wragge, 42, spoke on behalf of the family. She said: “Following the tragic death of Ben, we very strongly feel that had the law on the licensing and registration and storage of airguns been amended in the past, Ben’s death could have prevented. “We today presented details of 18 previous deaths caused by air rifles over several years as well as numerous serious injuries and we hope that any further tragedies can be prevented. “The coroner has concluded that Ben’s death was a tragic accident and will now be making a recommendation to the Home Office to now review these laws.”

.yes young boy has died . i understand that . but to punish thousands of airgun owners due to someone not securing their rifle is not good and it will not change things in the future if people do not abide by the rules we have at present .

and if they do go down the licensing route, will the owners lock them away if there is kids at home ?
    Last edited by bighit; 10-10-2017 at 06:12 PM.

I recall the Bristol incident and the facts are in the public domain.
    Quite what licensing or legislation has to do with this incident is beyond me.

if air guns were put on licence, it still wont help people will still get them, did it help when they banned hand guns NO,

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman56 View Post
    if air guns were put on licence, it still wont help people will still get them, did it help when they banned hand guns NO,
    brings in votes though

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Can you honestly see the various organisations getting together to give it a response ...
    Yes I can. The process is already underway. Full details will emerge when the response is finalised.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

If they all go FAC you'll not be limited to a piddly 12ftlb. Seems like something the Guvmint would like to avoid.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.