Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: UK Shooting News - aka Parliamentary Air Rifle Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbean View Post
    Reading the scottish rules ,other than having to apply / buy a licence and I guess justifying it ( club membership?)
    And sensible security measures ...is there that much to be afraid of?
    I guess once registered it leaves the door open to more draconian measures in the future ......
    No reason NOT to fight any English proposals
    I might have got it wrong. So I know someone will be along to correct me.
    Have fun

my airgun license here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qv5antdz6...05842.jpg?dl=0

storage is the same as it is in england and no cabinet specified .just locked away for under 18s s per this https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-to-safety.pdf

one part most are scared of is the health side ,they have depression and think it may stop them being granted a license . each case is assessed differently though

i don't belong to a club ,i use mine for pest control. some people are still allowed to plink in their gardens under certain circumstances

Will I still be able to “plink” in my garden?
    That depends on the arrangements you have in place. It’s not the intention to ban all plinking, provided it can be done safely. It is your responsibility to consider if this can be done safely, and to provide evidence of this in support of your application. Shooting in areas to which the public have unrestricted access, such as communal gardens or similar areas will not generally be acceptable.

tthe short version here

What air weapons will need a certificate under this law?

Unsure if you will need a certificate?
    Broadly speaking, if your airgun can fire a missile with a muzzle energy above 1 joule but below 12 foot pounds (or 6 foot pounds for an air pistol) you will need to get a certificate or permit. Air weapons with muzzle energy above these levels are likely to need a firearms certificate. If in doubt, ask your firearms dealer or the police.

Do I need more than one certificate if I own several air weapons?
    No. An air weapon certificate allows the holder to own and acquire multiple airguns, as long as they can all be stored safely and securely.

How can I find out the muzzle energy of my air weapon?
    You may be able to find out by looking at the manufacturer’s website. Most firearms dealers have a machine called a chronograph which can measure the approximate muzzle energy of a gun. You can also contact the police for advice, though they will not be able to test air weapons for you.

What guns are not covered by the new law?
    The new law does not distinguish between different firing mechanisms – if your air weapon has a barrel and can fire a missile between 1 joule and 12 foot pounds (or 6 foot pounds for an air pistol), then it is covered by the new legislation.

The law does not cover guns that are essentially toys, or which are not considered firearms. For example, BB guns or airsoft guns will not usually require a certificate. If in doubt, ask your firearms dealer or the police.

Crossbows and underwater guns, such as those used for spear-fishing, are also not covered by the new legislation.

Are paintball guns covered?
    Paintball guns which are only used to fire paint pellets at properly run and insured venues will not need a certificate. Paintball guns owned or used for other purposes may need a certificate – you should contact Police Scotland for advice.

Are airsoft guns covered?
    Realistic imitation airsoft guns with a muzzle energy below 2.5 joules (or 1.3 for fully automatic guns) are not covered by the new legislation. These guns are already controlled by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006. Airsoft guns above these muzzle energies may require a certificate – you should contact the police for advice.

Is ammunition covered?
    No. You won’t need a certificate to buy or own ammunition for air weapons.

Are component parts of an air weapon covered?
    Yes, you will need a certificate to own or acquire individual components of an air weapon. This generally means parts which are required to fire the gun. Accessories like sights or stands do not need a certificate.

Are sound moderators (silencers) covered?
    Yes, you will need a licence to own or acquire a sound moderator for an air weapon.

Do I need a certificate...

If I am under 18?
    You can’t have an air weapon certificate if you’re under 14. If you are over 14 but under 18 you can apply for a certificate but you can’t buy, hire or own an air weapon?

If you are under 14, you can’t have a licence but you can use an air weapon if you are supervised by someone aged 21 or over who holds a licence.

If I already have a firearm or shotgun certificate?
    If you are aged 14 or over and held a valid firearm and/or shotgun certificate on the 31st of December 2016, you won’t need to apply for a separate air weapon certificate until your existing licence expires.

When you renew your existing certificate you can apply for a new air weapon certificate at the same time, and you can ask to have them aligned so that they will all expire on the same date. If you are aligning your certificates in this way you will pay a reduced fee of £5.00 for the air weapon certificate.

If you want to buy or otherwise acquire a new air weapon before your current certificate expires you will need to apply for an air weapon certificate. This means that you can show the firearms dealer that you are authorised to purchase an air weapon.

If I’m a member of an approved air weapon club?
    No, as long as you only borrow air weapons at the club. This includes borrowing air weapons from certificate holders at the club. You can also use borrowed weapons at other venues – for example at a competition – as long as it’s part of the club’s activities.

If you own your own air weapons, or use them in activities not connected with the club (including practising at home), then you will need a licence.

If there’s an air weapon in my attic that I never/rarely use?
    Yes. It will be an offence to own an air weapon without a licence, even if you don’t use it. If you don’t have a good reason for keeping the air weapon then you should consider selling it, passing it on to someone else or handing it in to the police.

If I collect air weapons but never fire them?
    Yes. If the air weapons are capable of being fired then you will need a licence to possess them.

If I want to go to a paintball venue/shoot at a funfair?
    No. As long as the venue is run legally then you can participate without a licence.

If I have inherited an air weapon unexpectedly?
    If you want to keep the air weapon then yes, you should apply for a certificate.

If you want to dispose of the weapon then you should contact the police for advice. They can take it off your hands, or you might be able to get a short-term permit to allow you to sell it.

Air weapon clubs

Do air weapon clubs have to be licensed?
    Not necessarily. Any club whose members all have their own certificate might not need to apply.

Why become an approved club?
    Members of an approved club can use air weapons at the club without needing their own licence. This includes borrowing air weapons from licence holders at the club. Members can also use borrowed weapons at other venues – for example at a competition – as long as it’s part of the club’s activities.

How to apply for approval
    The club secretary or responsible person should apply to Police Scotland for approval, using Form AWL6. Links to download the form can be found on this website.

To be approved, a club must meet the criteria set out in the Guidance, which is available through this website. Amongst other things, the club must have a written constitution, keep a record of attendance and have satisfactory arrangements to allow safe shooting and the secure storage of weapons.

One-off events
    Events like funfairs and gala days with air weapon ranges can also be approved, allowing non-certificate holders to use air weapons at a specified time and place during the event.

An individual responsible for organising the event should apply to Police Scotland for an Event Permit using Form AWL5. Links to download the form can be found on this website.

Visitors to Scotland

If you’re travelling from England or Wales with an air weapon
    You will need a visitor permit to use, possess, purchase or acquire air weapons while in Scotland.

Visitor permits are issued by Police Scotland. You can apply for a permit using Form AWL3. Links to download the form can be found on this website.

If you’re travelling from England or Wales, and hold a valid firearm or shotgun licence
    If you are aged 14 or over and held a valid firearm and/or shotgun licence issued in England or Wales on 31 December 2016, you won’t need a separate licence to own or use air weapons while in Scotland, until your existing certificate expires. If the licence was granted or renewed on or after 31 December 2016, then you will need a visitor permit.

Visitor permits are issued by Police Scotland. You can apply for a permit using Form AWL3. Links to download the form can be found on this website.

Even if you have a valid firearm or shotgun licence, if you want to buy an air weapon in Scotland and walk out of the shop with it, then you will need a visitor permit.

If you’re travelling from Northern Ireland with an air weapon
    A Northern Ireland firearm certificate will not allow you to possess an air weapon in Scotland. Visitors will need a visitor permit to use, possess, buy or acquire air weapons while in Scotland.

If you’re travelling from outside the UK with an air weapon
    You will need a visitor permit to use, possess, purchase or acquire air weapons while in Scotland.

I want to borrow an air weapon while in Scotland, do I need a permit?
    If you will be shooting under the supervision of a licence holder, or at an approved club or other authorised venue, then you shouldn’t need a permit. However, if you will be shooting on your own then you will need a visitor permit. If in doubt you should contact Police Scotland for advice before you travel.

If you want to buy an air weapon while in Scotland
    If you want to buy an air weapon and walk out of the shop with it, then you will need a visitor permit.

You can buy an air weapon from a Registered Firearms Dealer and have the weapon sent directly to your home country without requiring a permit.

I live in England or Wales but travel to Scotland regularly, can I get an air weapon licence
    Yes - licences can be granted to people who live outside Scotland. The licence will only come into effect when the person crosses the border. You should apply to Police Scotland in the normal way.

Other questions

Will the police visit me at home?
    They may do – and they may reject your application if you refuse to give them access. However, for the majority of applications home visits should not be needed.

Will I still be able to “plink” in my garden?
    That depends on the arrangements you have in place. It’s not the intention to ban all plinking, provided it can be done safely. It is your responsibility to consider if this can be done safely, and to provide evidence of this in support of your application. Shooting in areas to which the public have unrestricted access, such as communal gardens or similar areas will not generally be acceptable.

Will air weapons need to be stored in a firearms cabinet?
    No, although this is an ideal place to store them. However, the guidelines on security and storage won’t change from what they are just now.

Current Home Office guidance is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ty-leaflet.pdf.

Will I get compensation for my air weapon if I hand it in to the police?
    No, there will not be compensation, but you can decide to pass on or sell the air weapon rather than hand it in to the police.

http://airweapon.scot/faqs/

Reading the scottish rules ,other than having to apply / buy a licence and I guess justifying it ( club membership?)
    And sensible security measures ...is there that much to be afraid of?
    Yes. The demise of new people entering the sport leading to the demise of the sport in the long run. But worse of all, I'd be embarrassed to say I live in such a nanny state that I need permission to own a low powered air rifle. Just ridiculous.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Thank you for that thorough explanation.Guessed there would be more to it.
    I guess for the majority of owners its just another hassle but I can see the eventual demise of our sport.
    If it happens here it is likely to kill the 2nd hand market and most of the dealers .
    New recruits just wont bother.
    I will keep plinking my Vulcan and Ultra in the garden(walled )and leave the heirs with the problem of disposal when I have passed on to that big shooting range in the sky
    Best have fun whilst we can as there will soon be a law against it.

I guess for the majority of owners its just another hassle but I can see the eventual demise of our sport.
    If it happens here it is likely to kill the 2nd hand market and most of the dealers .
    I will keep plinking my Vulcan and Ultra in the garden(walled )and leave the heirs with the problem of disposal when I have passed on to that big shooting range in the sky
    i'm not sure it affects second hand sales to be honest . the only thing is people buying them but the seller not asking to see their license . that's why i think its a farce of a scheme and comes down to the morals of the seller.

if i advertise my .22 theoben evo I would be asking to see their license but joe down the street may just sell it on to get the cash and not ask to see the license

plus there is nothing to stop a licensed shooter buying a rifle in a shop for an unlicensed mate . no traceability . but i can see it from the licensing peoples side . some collectors have hundreds of rifles and some do not have a serial number either.

they will only know how many airgun licenses were applied for and granted in scotland after 2021 as there is thousands no doubt still held under the FAC and SGC ruling tat yo can possess an airgun till your FAC or SGC needs renewed but you cant by any via an RFD or buy component part or moderator s unless you pay £72 for a license . if you buy the license along with a FAC or SGC it a fiver

I don't think there will be licencing any time soon in England and Wales especially if all us responsible hobbyists and all the businesses and clubs make their voices heard. If all shooters fight any form of restriction, the government will realise the amount of revenue and potential voters that will be affected by any I'll thought through legislation. Licencing would be a mommoth and expensive task and makes no sense in these times of declining airgun offences since 2003.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    I don't think there will be licencing any time soon in England and Wales especially if all us responsible hobbyists and all the businesses and clubs make their voices heard. If all shooters fight any form of restriction, the government will realise the amount of revenue and potential voters that will be affected by any I'll thought through legislation. Licencing would be a mommoth and expensive task and makes no sense in these times of declining airgun offences since 2003.
    i said it before and i will say it again. we thought the same up here as you have posted here yet we still have the scheme here .

Terry Doe stated the scottish scheme is running at a huge loss buts its still running.

i hope you are right but if if it come down to winning votes , shooters are a tiny minority . 4million airguns in england does not equate to 4 million voters

I am sure some sort of a scheme for ownership of ' Air Weapons ' will be rolled out. A lot of emotinal stuff and tabloid sensationalism have been thrown at the government and they feel obliged to show that they care, only if they cared as much about the NHS and the rest of our real problems.
    Putting restrictions on ' weapons ' of any kind is a sure vote winner with people who think that all the ills of a society and its inherent violent nature can be solved by banning weapons of any kind.
    Cars, Alcohol, motorbikes etc are far more deadly than a sub 12ft.lbs air gun but you don't see moves to put restrictions on their use nor vilify those who use them for the its intended purpose as demonstrated in the Mail article.

A.G

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    It would be concerning if the Gov go down the route of: "this has already been done by Scotland so lets just follow suit as its easier and costs less"

Sounds like something they would do though.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I am sure some sort of a scheme for ownership of ' Air Weapons ' will be rolled out. A lot of emotinal stuff and tabloid sensationalism have been thrown at the government and they feel obliged to show that they care, only if they cared as much about the NHS and the rest of our real problems.
    Putting restrictions on ' weapons ' of any kind is a sure vote winner with people who think that all the ills of a society and its inherent violent nature can be solved by banning weapons of any kind.
    Cars, Alcohol, motorbikes etc are far more deadly than a sub 12ft.lbs air gun but you don't see moves to put restrictions on their use nor vilify those who use them for the its intended purpose as demonstrated in the Mail article.

A.G
    one poll conducted here many years ago resulted in 80% of people saying they should be banned

“When I was an MSP I introduced a bill to ban airguns and commissioned an opinion poll from System 3 that showed over 80% of Scots favour a ban.

More than 1000 Scots have been injured by airguns in the past eight years and there have been three deaths. One, of Easterhouse toddler Andrew Morton two years ago, led to a petition with more than 11,000 signatures being submitted to MSPs demanding that airguns be outlawed.
    Tommy Sheridan in 2007.

11,000 is not a lot of people . i'm pretty sure the number that replied to stop the licensing was less than that number .

Scottish Government consultation on air gun licensing finds 87 per cent against.. but majority of those come from England.

A Scottish Government consultation on proposals for licensing air weapons returned 1,101 responses, with 87 per cent opposed to licensing.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...ir-gun-2066601

the No to Airgun Licensing in Scotland facebook page founder David Ewing did a lot of campaigning and sat in with BASC at the parliament hearings .i commended him on that but his page has lots of idiots that openly said they would not license their guns if the scheme was introduced . there is even one member of the group who said he would shoot at the police if they came to remove his guns. he has a vendetta against the police as he was found with a knife in his rucksack going to a peace demo.he got off with the case but is now on a one man vendetta .that im afraid did not help the page and possibly lost the campaign a lot of support.

so either the airgun owners thought it would be too costly to implement so did not reply or sign the petitions or they were in favour of it .
    so to all the people in england thinking it wont happen ,they may get a unwanted surprise.
    Last edited by bighit; 19-10-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    I don't think there will be licencing any time soon in England and Wales
    I agree with you. There genuinely is no inevitability about it and some shooters seem to worry a little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Presumably,anyone advocating the licensing of sub 12ftlb air guns would like to see the far more dangerous carving knife licensed also?
    I'm not against cyclists, but perhaps this should apply to bicycles as well, I'm sure there are more fatal accidents involving bikes than than there has ever been with airguns.

" A Scottish Government consultation on proposals for licensing air weapons returned 1,101 responses, with 87 per cent opposed to licensing. "

I like the twisting of truth in that article, " AIR guns should not be subject to strict licensing restrictions according to the vast majority of respondents to a government consultation. "

" These responses "cannot be taken to represent the views of the wider population", according to analysts.

" While the vast majority opposed licencing in principle, only a minority of these actually engaged with the consultation and provided reasons for their opposition, declining to answer consultation questions at all or responding with short statements such as "I disagree".

" The analysis states: "The term 'air weapon' was perceived by some to be emotive and misleading. The point was made that a 'weapon' is designed to injure or harm someone, and thus an air gun is not a 'weapon' unless it is used as such."

" The analysis states: "Views gathered through an open consultation exercise can not be regarded as representative of the views of the population as a whole."

What a load of tosh? They went to the people and when the result went against their agenda then they started to make excuses and discredit the participants.

If the powers to be want to change the law shouldn't the onus of proof to justify such upheaval fall the those who propose the change and not vice versa?

A.G