Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huntsman Regal Advice Please.

Huntsman Regal Advice Please.

Well, I like this rifle very much but haven't taken it out that often as my HW100 is my go-to gun.

Thing is, I took it with me yesterday for a spot of pigeon shooting and when I pulled the trigger it made a loud bang but nothing shot out of the barrel! I seem to remember this happening before and wondered if I'm not pulling back the bolt firmly enough? Maybe I draw it back just enough to allow the air to come through but not strong enough to rotate the mag?

Could I have my mag too tight or not tight enough? Or maybe the little brass thing that sits under the mag needs a tweak?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation ..
    Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little.

did you have the bolt closed properly as the gun will still fire but with a hell of a bang , i know this because iv done it myself
    Is the probe seal intact as iv had one split and fall away with the same effect a loud bang

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    did you have the bolt closed properly as the gun will still fire but with a hell of a bang , i know this because iv done it myself
    Is the probe seal intact as iv had one split and fall away with the same effect a loud bang
    Thanks Mr G. But there was no pellet forthcoming just a very surprised looking pigeon at 38yds. I did happen to reload and get him before he thought about flying off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Well, I like this rifle very much but haven't taken it out that often as my HW100 is my go-to gun.

Thing is, I took it with me yesterday for a spot of pigeon shooting and when I pulled the trigger it made a loud bang but nothing shot out of the barrel! I seem to remember this happening before and wondered if I'm not pulling back the bolt firmly enough? Maybe I draw it back just enough to allow the air to come through but not strong enough to rotate the mag?

Could I have my mag too tight or not tight enough? Or maybe the little brass thing that sits under the mag needs a tweak?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation ..
    It has probobaly fired a puff of air back in your face. Make sure the bolt is pushed all the way in and the probe O ring is still intacked.

A.G

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    It has probobaly fired a puff of air back in your face. Make sure the bolt is pushed all the way in and the probe O ring is still intacked.

A.G
    Daystates are renown for eating pellets, they fall out of the back of the magazine when the probe is fully withdrawn, fall in the mechanism and at some point will stop the gun cocking, in the meantime you get a dry fire which is much louder and no kill....

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Daystates are renown for eating pellets, they fall out of the back of the magazine when the probe is fully withdrawn, fall in the mechanism and at some point will stop the gun cocking, in the meantime you get a dry fire which is much louder and no kill....
    Actually, yes, after clambering through undergrowth I seem to remember the bolt sliding backwards. Having said that, I would have thought the pellet, once engaged in the barrel would stay there?

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Actually, yes, after clambering through undergrowth I seem to remember the bolt sliding backwards. Having said that, I would have thought the pellet, once engaged in the barrel would stay there?
    It actually does it when you cock the rifle, bolt back, magazine clicks round, pellet falls into mechanism, done it on an X2 and a Mk 3!

If you are reloading and the gun is more than 25 degree then the pellet drops out
    Daystate told me never reload unless the gun is level or barrel facing down and i told them it's a design fault and should not be charging me £16+ to have the pellet removed from the hammer system , still charged me though . Over rated , overpriced crap IMO

Jesim1 is online now Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    It actually does it when you cock the rifle, bolt back, magazine clicks round, pellet falls into mechanism, done it on an X2 and a Mk 3!
    Gravity can let the pellet fall back out the mag if the gun is being held upwards while cocking if your mag does not hold the pellets tight, and a few don't. This is before it is pushed into the barrel where it will stay. 90% of people never experience this if they shoot on a range as they are normally horizontal more or less, but in the field it can be different. Daystate mags seem to have their own personality, I've got some I don't even think about, yet others I would not use for target shooting as they open the groupings by half an inch - no big deal in the field, but for paper it's a waste of time. Once you know about it you can "lock n load" accordingly

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Wow! Thanks guys. That explains it then. Not great for pigeon shooting (elevated shots). I'll make sure I reload with rife pointing downwards.

Fortunately, I haven't experienced a renegade pellet gumming up the works. Must have just fallen out ...

I found this issue when I bought a s/h MK3 and had taken about 50 shots. At the time, Daystate were well aware of the problem and would supply a free kit to prevent the issue happening again. It was an insert that fitted in the breech area to prevent a pellet being dragged backwards. My daughter's AirWolf, again bought s/h, had the same problem; it showed up after about 10 shots. Another free kit solved it. Remember ... those were the days when you, as a customer, could phone Daystate and speak to a real person who was willing (and wanted) to help. I thought that Daystate had corrected their engineering on all subsequent rifles?

Cheers, Phil

Huntsman

I appreciate that you guys have actually lost pellets into the mechanism But this is impossible on my Huntsman.
    "not a regal" there is no opening. The mag fills the space also I have never had a pellet fall out of the mag. There is nowhere for it to go. Should one drop back it would rest on the action face and the probe but still be supported by the mag. I have read of your problem before but dont think it applies to the Huntsman. Mine is four years old.
    Also the first movement triggers the mag then goes on to cock the action.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

It can happen but usually when people have not loaded the magazine correctly. The pellet head needs to be pushed past the O ring and then it wont tip back out of the mag unless the O ring is worn of course.
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum

Pellet

Quote Originally Posted by airwolf1 View Post
    It can happen but usually when people have not loaded the magazine correctly. The pellet head needs to be pushed past the O ring and then it wont tip back out of the mag unless the O ring is worn of course.
    Fine but where does the pellet go? there is no opening into the mechanism. Get your Huntsman out and have a look and let us know.
    Please.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Fine but where does the pellet go? there is no opening into the mechanism. Get your Huntsman out and have a look and let us know.
    Please.

the pellet can tip back into the same hole in the action that the probe comes out of, hold the action up at 45 degrees, pull the bolt back as far as it will go and you will see where the pellet can go, with the bolt in the rest position its not obvious. As I said, if the magazine is loaded correctly the problem will not arise.
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum